Suggestions: Account Wide Flags and Dungeon Keys

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Brontus, Jan 25, 2023.

1. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Many of us have playing off and on since EverQuest was released in1999. Most of us have spent untold hours of mind-numbing tedium trying to obtain the various keys for dungeons like Sebilis, Howling Stones, Veeshan's Peak, Sleeper's Tomb, Vex Thall, POJ trials, and beyond.

How about a new system where you only have to do each quest once and then every character on your account is automatically flagged and/or keyed for that zone?

Having this system would be a huge boon to alts which enhances the replaybility factor. Alts are a big part of EQ because they allow you to keep playing after your main is geared and flagged. My guild just did Plane of Fire the other day and we spent a lot of time CoHing alts to get the PoF flag after we killed Fennin Ro. If my suggestion was in place, COHing allts for flags and keys would not be necessary it would really help mains get their alts geared faster as they would have access to more keyed zones.

For servers that do not have free trade, it would allow you to log in your alts to loot items in zones that your main is already keyed for.

This suggestion would be a nice incentive for players to play on a new TLP server. Thanks for reading. :)
    Zrender, Norfestra and Shakara like this.
  2. generic Journeyman

pointless, many of us box or like to have alts on separate accounts and 'account wide' unlocks still means i have to do it 6 times.
    Yinla likes this.
  3. Xhartor Augur

I would rather see them tie much of the flagging to guild tag rather then an account. At least for exp related zones.

So if your Guild is flagged for the EP's all the members are flagged. So guilds don't have to bother rerunning trivial raids to get people flagged.

A lot of the exp content gate keeping goes away after GoD. It sort of returns in SoF-HoT.
    Nolrog and Skuz like this.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Or they could just do a TLP where flagging and keying is not required. :)

Would be a unique feature for a TLP server
  5. Triconx Augur

So....

1. Log onto live with my 120.
    2. Check he has all the flags.
    3: ????
    4. Profit.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

This suggestion should not be hiding in the TLP forums. Great idea and should have more coverage in the Veteran's forum.
    Brontus likes this.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Going to be fun for a lot of players when it gets merged into a live server and all of a sudden they are missing a lot of required flagging and keys.
  8. TheStugots Augur

Still waiting for that dislike button.
    Brildon and Genoane like this.
  9. Kukaw Augur

It's not a bad idea; we are playing an almost 25yr old game, and it needs to continue to evolve.
    How about instead of "Account Wide" it is "Server Wide," and can be tested out as one of the features on a new TLP?
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Majority of keys and flags have been removed on live already, so I don't see it as a huge problem.
    Skuz likes this.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There are still flags and keys that are needed on live to request things or get into some areas. You might not need the flags to join a raid but you still need them to request.
  12. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Awesome idea!
  13. Brontus EQ Player Activist

That's good to hear. I confess I don't really know much about live servers. My experience is mostly on TLP servers which is why I posted this suggestion on the TLP forum.

Keyed dungeons are an archaic design mechanic that have not aged well. Back when keyed dungeons were released, players had many months to acquire all of thoese various quest parts to obtain the key. Now with TLP servers, the intervals between expansions has drastically shrunk giving players far less time to get the keys.

I think players would rather be enjoying the challenge of dungeon content and the thrill of gearing up, rather than having to engage in highly competive, toxic, spawn contestation disputes just to get the keys for those dungeons.

I think Darkpaw should eliminate the need for keys to enter all of these zones once and for all. At the very least for the next TLP server and to see how players like it. Then do it for all servers after that.

I'd even go a step futher and remove the level restrictions on entering the planes. Those restrictions make no sense in 2023 given the fact that you can no longer lose your corpse in the planes. Let's be honest, much of the loot in the first three planes is sub-par anyways.

It's time for EverQuest to evolve to meet the needs of players in 2023 who have far less time than they did in 1999.
    Zrender likes this.
  14. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Instead of wanting to dislike something and taking the time to post about it, why not take a few minutes and formulate a cogent argument about why you dislike something and post it here?
    Zrender likes this.
  15. SoandsoForumUser Augur

Just remove flagging if you want to go this way, passing them onto alts helps basically no one besides a handful of re-rollers since alts die out almost completely in favor of boxes when you get to the parts of the game with actual content to do. I ran into one person from PoP onwards who still had an honest to goodness same account alt. Trying to do them on a guild or fellowship level is cool but way more work I'd imagine than just disabling/relaxing them.
  16. Basak Augur

So you're saying we should have yearly unlocks for expansions?
  17. Herf Augur

Since lots of the old school zones unlock after Velius or Luclin I'm not sure how big a deal this is. But rather than unlock all toons on an account it would make more sense to unlock all toons in a group or raid. That solves the cross account/boxing concern.

But for Kunark level keying...meh.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I like most of the keying quests, the only issue I had with most of them was how long they took and how you had to compete with all of the other players on the server for several, which on a TLP could lead to a lot of frustration & unfreindly behaviour.
    I'd be okay with removing the key requirement for some raid zones but then making the old quests for the keys still rewarding, like giving you a teleporter to the raid zone doorway or something similar for completing the key quest.
    Key requirements which are "kill flags" should stay.
  19. Name2 Augur

Because the majority of raiding occurs inside AoC instances for the relevant life of the server, and AoC lockouts apply to the account, not the character, I think think it would make sense for the keys to apply the same way.

I like the idea of overhauling keys in general, and instead tying unlocks to account progression per server. I saw a YouTube video that had the idea of using the achievement system which made sense to me. Get Trakanon + VS achievements = VP access. Get Tunare, Vulak, AoW, Yael = Sleepers access. Apply the same sort of thing to PoP to get rid of the hail nightmare, and scale the charm off of achievements earned instead of the hail game. Maybe for the purposes of the charm that shouldn't be tied in and should be a per character thing using the quest still, but there isn't really any harm in zone access being account wide per server.

It's not like there's more access to raids, just more flexibility in raid comp (which could be helpful when like half the clerics are out for a night and the only alts are on the same accounts as mains). Would definitely help smaller/more casual guilds which I think is a good thing.
  20. error Augur

For later expansions at least it'd be awesome if they could somehow do raid flagging at a guild level. It's a real pain trying to get every individual player in a casual guild flagged once you get to the expansions where backflags aren't a thing anymore.