Whywould I NOT want autogrant AAs?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Sandy100, Jan 12, 2023.

1. Sandy100 Elder

I was reading about auto grant AAs. It seems that it gives ever AA ( other than tradeskills) automatically that is available at a given level. Thus, why would I NOT want to automatically get this unless I want to be weaker? Can I manually add all points that the autogrant woiuld automatically give me in order to see what exactly I am getting?
  2. Bernel Augur

One reason to not do autogrant is if you are only temporarily subscribed. Non-paying accounts have AA caps (free=250, silver=1000). If you autogrant when you're at a low level and then later stop your subscription, you'll be over the non-paying AA cap and won't be able to selectively pick AAs as you level up. Free accounts have so few that it doesn't really matter, but the 1000 AA's on a silver account can go a long way if you choose carefully.

What some people do in this case is to sub for a month here and there to get the AA autogrants. They are locked out from AAs when they are unsubbed. When they level up a few levels and need more AAs, they sub for another month and do autogrant.
    Wdor likes this.
  3. Brickhaus Augur

The AA pool is so large now, there really isn’t a reason.

When the pool was smaller, the extra bonus for low aas (sliding scale from 0 to 4000) could allow you to be slightly ahead of the game when hitting the limit of auto grant. But on Live, the aa total is so large it really doesn’t matter.

The only time delay makes sense on Live now is if you are PLing a toon and plan to get the tradeskill aas anyway. Then you hold auto grant and buy your tradeskill aas and then turn it on.
  4. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Not that I understand it, but there are players who want to play in an 'original' way before the advent of AA or at least before the auto grants. Or they might want to keep a subbed character at par with one that's not (F2P do not get auto-grant). Or they want to save up all the AA until the last level of auto-grant (currently 110, I think) then get it in a mass clump.

I belive auto-grant gives you FAR more AA than you could possible earn.
  5. Svann2 The Magnificent

In theory there are reasons, but I dont think I have ever known anyone that actually turned it off on purpose.
    Tatanka likes this.
  6. Moege Augur

/raises hand. I did
    When leveling up a new character it was possible to spend 3000-4000 AA in the focus tab, since the character fell into the low AA pool you got a bonus to AA earned. Once over 4k turn on autogrant and you were a bit ahead of the curve. That was EoK/RoS era.

Now with autogrant actually granting those same focus AA its not worth it anymore to do this.
    Rijacki, CatsPaws and code-zero like this.
  7. uglas New Member

If leveling a new toon to 110 or 115 you’d want to turn it off and earn/save up your 250 aas before chronoing or subbing and turning on auto grants since you’d earn the 250 aa like 3x or maybe 5x faster with 0 aas vs the 30k you’d get after turning it on
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Yes, same here. I did not use auto grant for the first 8 or so alts. Did it the old fashioned way and got the bonus AA count.

Got tired of the effort and just do it now.
    Rijacki likes this.
  9. Spacemonkey555 Augur

If you're getting powerleveled on a character you intend to do tradeskills on, you can get your tradeskill aa done with the 5x or whatever bonus, then turn on autogrant. Tradeskill AA aren't autogranted, add up to 4079 AA. I haven't bothered but someone might to reduce the tradeskill aa grind.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  10. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Lots of TLP servers are not far enough along in progression to have access to practice dummies for parsing so we will disable autogrant, testcopy, and use a test dummy to parse things.

Also, if you are a degenerate TLP player and your guild does test runs before an expansion unlocks so every person has done progression, disabling autogrant before you test copy can ensure your character is an exact copy of what you have, without having out of era aa's.
    Rijacki likes this.
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

You do realize you can reset your AAs on test, correct?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  12. Ravanta Suffer Augur

You do realize we already have the option to toggle it on and off? It's not a new feature request.

It's time consuming to repurchase all your aa's in this scenario since you can't use the purchase all ranks option, and in the past this has been broken. There was a long period of time where /resetaa didn't even work.

Even without testcopy as consideration, there's reason enough for it to exist, and the ability to turn it off doesn't negatively impact anyone who wants to leave it on.

TLDR: Just because you don't have a purpose for it, doesn't mean other's don't.
    Rijacki likes this.
  13. Razorfall Augur

Says the person who laughs at people who have to mez adds :p
  14. Ravanta Suffer Augur

I'm laughing at you now.
  15. Razorfall Augur

Good. I'm a ridiculous man :p
    Ravanta Suffer likes this.
  16. Thunderkiks Augur

I turned it off and earned my AA. Didnt like the thought of getting free AA on my main. Alts I dont really care as much. Kinda like achievements. I wont join hunter raids or soak achieves on my main. I'd rather earn what I get.
    Aenvar likes this.
  17. Vumad Cape Wearer

If you are FTP, especially if you are silver, buy your tradeskill and racial innate AA when you are below the cap. Then when you are subbed and get autogrant, you can send any new AA on useful AA for the level.

The only other reason I can think of is to experience the game more at lower levels. I am pretty sure autogrant is older than TLPs, so before TLPs, there was a reason to not autogrant. Now if you want that experience, play on TLP.
    Shanarias likes this.
  18. Ravanta Suffer Augur

To add another reason...having autogrant turned off saved me from getting autogranted all of TSS aa's when the bug started happening on Mischief. I'm certified organic now!