Fixed Internally 'Bad' values in TaskOverlay:ActiveList cause client crash.

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Angahran, Dec 13, 2022.

1. Angahran Augur

It appears that if you somehow get an 'invalid' value in the ActiveList in your charname_server.ini file you get an instant client crash and dropped to desktop.

Not sure what causes the 'invalid' value but while I was troubleshooting my crashing I found a) a negative value and b) duplicate values in this field.

Blanking the field resolved the crash.

Code:
    [TaskOverlay]
    ActiveList=

Fenthen, Yinla, Velisaris_MS and 2 others like this.
  2. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Wonder if this is what's been causing my random crashes... I'll check this out when I go upstairs.
  3. TrueNorth Developer

Was not able to reproduce this internally with either negative values, duplicate values, invalid values, very large/small values, special characters, random gibberish, or ending on a comma.
  4. Angahran Augur

This is what I had in my .ini file when I was getting the random client crashes.
    It appeared to be happening when the game attempted to access task info, e.g. adding a task to the overlay window, removing one, task updates, etc.

Removing this has stopped these random crashes.

Svann2, minimind and TrueNorth like this.
  5. TrueNorth Developer

Was able to reproduce and it is now tracked internally. Thank you for the report and the follow-up!
    Svann2, minimind, Angahran and 2 others like this.
  6. Angahran Augur

So, the question is, where did those screwy values come from ?
    Duplicates I can see happening if there is no code to prevent them when someone adds and removes and readds tasks to the overlay.

But negative values seem very odd, "-2013254619", or even "109135432", when it looks like task values are 4 or 5 digits.

Glad you found this and could reproduce it.

Always happy to help.
    minimind likes this.
  7. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Another question is, what do the values mean and can everyone just delete them manually to prevent problems until Darkpaw can fix this issue?

I'm assuming the numbers refer to quests that are currently on the task overlay and you can simply delete them and have an empty task overlay which you can then populate as you wish by checking the boxes in the Task window. So there seems to be no reason everyone cannot delete these numbers.
  8. Malbro Augur

How do you clear it? ActiveList=0?
  9. Angahran Augur

I simply deleted everything after the '='.

So just this:
    Code:
    [TaskOverlay]
    ActiveList=
  10. Malbro Augur

Thank You
  11. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Quest numbers, so deleting them is fine and won't hurt anything.

The real question is how the crazy numbers / duplicates got added.
  12. Malbro Augur

I did the clear ActiveList and just now it still dumped me to server select.

Looked at the ini file and it had a 0 after the equal sign.
  13. Soulbanshee Augur

Not related to the camping issue, this is for client crash from adding/updating/etc quests and task overlay.
  14. Ozadar Elder

I was doing the old school quest achievements under Hero's Journey -> Quests. I've completed close to half of them so far. I wonder if that is what caused this issue on my account.

Ozadar of Zek
  15. Malbro Augur

Oh. I thought this was for the camping thing. Sorry
  16. klanderso Developer

I've got a fix for this internally and it should go out with the update next month.
    Fanra, Angahran, Metanis and 2 others like this.