Pally questions

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cintile, Jan 24, 2023.

1. Cintile Lorekeeper

So, I recently created a Pally, which plan to make my new main focus. I have a 102 SK, that I was starting to work up, but there are a billion SK's running around and I'm sure its for good reason. I got levels 1-40 done yesterday, I basically just put my 110 Druid on autofollow and starting killing. I realize i could pull a billion mobs and PL faster that way, but I wanted to make sure I'm getting good at playing him, while also not taking forever to get to 80. Here are my questions for you Pally people.

Why did you choose Pally over the SK?
    At 80, I can starting grouping my Pally with my 110 druid, or 110 Bard, or at 60 start grouping with my 86 Cleric. Which would you choose?
    Do we get any type of AA snare or AA fade / FD ability?
    What macro set up are you using for your AA, spell lines? Additionally, what's your rotation for maximizing agro and dps?

As far as getting my Pally to 105 as fast as possible, I'm guessing go to the undead zone in PoP from 50-65ish, then PoF to 75ish, then HoT to 80ish, and then once 80 group with 110 character in Brothers Island and FM. Any better ideas?

PS, I've also considered Boxing Pally + Necro or Pally + Mage but this would mean I wouldn't have that PL so I would need some suggestions on getting 60-105 without it taking forever and becoming super painful.
  2. Tucoh Augur

Bard and it's not even close. The druid is going to be too mana starved to provide reliable DPS and provides minimal ADPS to the paladin. The bard will boost the DPS of the paladin considerably while providing significant utility in the form of double invis, selos, tracking and best-in-class pulling.

I would not group the cleric with the paladin at 60 and would instead keep the druid tagging along.

This thread might be useful: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/moving-from-sk-to-pal.287107/
  3. Cintile Lorekeeper

Hey thanks for the feedback and the thread link, I'll check it out. I also have an 85 boost available, but I wanted to get to 65 or 70 before using it, just to make sure I understand the class well and feel invested in the character.
  4. Iven Antonius Bayle

You can group with your 86 cleric at lvl 57 already. If you want to level your cleric and play conventionally it would be a stable but not the best boxing duo. For snare you have to get the paladin a snare weapon and alchemy snare pots but it is much better to box him together with a snare class. You can also choose zones and mobs where the mobs do not flee like Veksar. Many undeads do not flee but ghosts and ghouls often do.

Maybe an escape ability as about all classes do get one but not a snare.

07-22 - Befallen
    10-25 - Kurn's Tower
    11-31 - Estate of Unrest
    20-80 - Befallen: The Rise of Marnek (Instanced task, Commonlands, Derin Mausrel)
    37-50 - Lower Guk
    40-66 - Ruins of Old Paineel (aka The Hole)
    44-54 - Charasis
    46-67 - Veksar
    48-60 - Old Sebilis - Crypt
    50-58 - Natimbi - Ghosts
    50-75 - Estate of Unrest: The Curse Begins (Instanced task, Butcherblock Mountains, Savil Tranquilsong)
    53-63 - Ssraeshza Temple - Mines
    58-68 - Barren Coast
    57-65 - Crypt of Nadox
    60-66 - Plane of Valor - Forest ruins
    61-66 - Crypt of Decay
    65-70 - Wall of Slaughter - Undead Murkgliders
    68-73 - Arcstone
    70-76 - The Hive (Reanimation chamber and north cavern)
    71-76 - Ruins of Illsalin
    75-78 - Direwind Cliffs - Graveyard
    76-82 - Frostcrypt
    76-84 - Loping Plains - Graveyard
    83-85 - Hills of Shade
    83-90 - Oceangreen Hills - Zombies
    87-92 - The Cooling Chamber
    99-105 - Chapterhouse of the Fallen
  5. Nightops Augur

-I chose a paladin over the SK back in January of 2001 when I started EQ because my friend already had a level 49 SK.

-Certainly the bard box is the way to go with a paladin. You cover all the basics... spot healing, tanking, pulling, CC, and ADPS. Your total overall sustained DPS will be disappointing for 2 boxing, but you will be able to go against any content and pull out wins when things go bad.

-Paladins do get a spell root and an AA version. Also an AA for agro drop, but it has a long reuse.

-Not much you can do to max dps via spells. Hunt undead and then you can use better nukes. The agro isn't really an issue if your boxing a bard or low dps character. There are 3 AAs on the same timer, I use one cast for agro and then constant use of the dps version. That's all you really need in the box/group game.

-Certainly try to stay with Undead mobs for your XP. House of Thule basement is a great place to kill. Brothers Island Undead, Caverns undead room or Degmars Castle dinning room if you can split or CC can be good too.

- If your looking for a box with the paladin and it's between a necro and mage. I would go with the necro. Much more damage and much easier to get that dps on each mob. The mage dps needs more attention / recasts then a necro and you will get less per cast. Necro's abilities with the undead will also be helpful with a paladin. Between a bard or a necro, its a toss up depending on what you need or want to work with. Just be aware, there are several expansions with very little undead. So that may factor into your choice depending on how you want to play content.
  6. Sobmre Augur

honestly bro there are a billion sk's for a reason. they have many more ez agro ability's
    paladins have decent healing ability's but as a tank sk's have it on ez agro mode.

for a solid 2 box go with pally shm. might be abit slower on dps side but you'll be unstoppable.

after lvl 100 you have a few places you can try,
    chapter house
    tower or rot
    tempest temple

at 105 head into the broken mirror zones.

from 110 on do missions and quests in various expansions
  7. Paladin Augur

The AA is called Balefire Burst (to drop aggro), but Level 85 is required and it has a 10 Minute reuse timer (under Archetype).

Paladin's can FD, but only by using a Player made potion called Planar Overdose (which has a 15-minute re-use timer).

Paladin's can snare, but only with a clicky (i.e. Rusty Oil Spitter, which has a 15 minute re-use timer), or by temporarily equipping a low level proc Weapon (i.e. Anklesmasher), until it procs Snare.

With clicks and specialized Proc weapons... Paladin's can do a lot of things (Slow, Shrink, DS Buffs, DD, DoT, Swarm Pets, Malosenia, Dispell...)... but they normally have a long re-use timer or depend on the Proc firing and landing.

In fact, this applies to most every class, you just have to find items that your class can use for such things.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  8. Cintile Lorekeeper

would you choose bard over a Druid + Mage option? or I could manage just doing Pally + Bard
  9. Warpeace Augur

Paladin, Sham + Bard
  10. Cintile Lorekeeper

I'm trying to utilize characters ive already developed. I have a 110 druid or 110 bard on secondary account. a 3rd account has a 70 something Mage i could work in if i had too
  11. Zarkdon Augur

To set you up for long term success, I would use the bard on the second account and make a shaman for your healer. Then you can start adding in additional characters until you have 12-15 accounts and your family has you locked up in a psych ward.
    Tatanka likes this.
  12. alanus Augur

There's a billion SK compared to paladins because SK are seriously overpowered. They can outtank paladins and can outaggro paladins with ease. They can outmitigate warriors, too, with their melee=heal abilities that Daybreak refuses to tune.

Paladins are pretty useful as utility on raids, though. Splash is seriously really nice and paladins can heal pretty well. Plus on undead paladin dps is up there with the best with a 2her.

As for box, you'd probably want any DPS class or a bard. Both mage and necro are fine.

For leveling, go anywhere with undead after you get slay undead. Use auto-grant to make sure you get AA you'll need.
  13. Iven Antonius Bayle

While PAL + BRD is good it does lack some DPS but it definetly will work. You can also try PAL + DRU + BRD together with a merc healer as you already have those toons. The druid would be DPS, CC, heal assistance, taxi and the bard puller, CC and support. Bard and druid can be played pretty passively during single pulls so you could focus on the paladin.

While the shaman might be better DPS and ADPS it's slows and haste buffs are not really needed as the bard can do those jobs also at the cost of DPS. The druid does offer better CC, evac and travelling which is better QoL than the shaman. If you prefer DPS go for the shaman but it could be to much aggro so it could happen that you cannot use the full potential of the shaman.
  14. Cintile Lorekeeper

the druid and bard are on the same account. So I'm either looking at Pally + Druid or Pally + Bard
  15. Iven Antonius Bayle

I would say that the SHD is overpowered and the PAL underpowered. Aggro is one of the weaknesses of the paladin which is why I cannot really recommend a necro because then the necro would be the MT. The shaman might also have that problem and the druid would be just fine.
    Fenthen, Sobmre and alanus like this.
  16. Cintile Lorekeeper

Seems like the general thought, is that I just do my SK + Bard lol. My SK is also 104 with 1.5 already.
  17. NatazzEvoli Elder

Pal + Brd is a great combination as is Pal + Shm (which you currently do not have). You can't go wrong with either. Pal + Dru is an interesting combination that can work if you macro the druid dots/nukes.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  18. Tucoh Augur

I'd chose pal/brd over mag/dru.

Mag/dru is a fine combo but the druid will be mana starved and you'll have to chose to either med or continue to fight on the mag while the druid hangs out, or get only moderate utility from the druid by avoiding their high mana cost DoTs.

Plate tanks and bards are just soo strong now, it's hard to beat.

An important consideration for the mage is that getting a raid pet earring dramatically improves the pet's survivability. Most people who have a lot of success on the mage with new content do so with a raid pet. This is true of plate tanks, but the survivability of a group-geared plate tank is very high while the survivability of a group-pet is not.
  19. Tucoh Augur

Just to nitpick this, warriors easily out-mitigate shadowknights because nearly all their abilities to improve their survivability via improving mitigation. Shadowknights, however, have higher survivability if they can squeeze a lifetap / weapon swing (with leech) between mob attacks.

This truth is something I'm struggling with after main changing from warrior to SK, where I'm not sure it was the rigth choice.
  20. tsiawdroi TittyGOAT

For group content absolutely made the right choice. Can tank most content without a healer on Sk. I have tanked the mean street mission with no healer while other tank is actively kiting thugs and the healer is healing them thru the dot. Warrior would not be able to do this.
    Allayna likes this.