Research 350 hardly any count towards 350

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Andarriel, Jan 25, 2023.

1. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I have research parts to make spells 71-100 and each level is like 60-80ish spells that can be made but zam is showing that very little cant towards 350 and cant learn. Just wondering why they made it so few spells count towards 350 there are some but is very little like a few in a batch of 80 spells. Kinda annoying since i cant find any web sites with 350 on research. Almarsguide works great for all the other ts but research is empty. anyone know of a website that is research 350 friendly? Honestly every new spell 71-100 should count but doesnt.
  2. gnomeboss Augur

3. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

yea i know of that one be nice if they had level of spells its kinda all over the place looks like it gonna be alot of work. Ill have to just goto zam and choose level of spell and click everyone to see whats 350 /sigh
  4. Sissruukk Rogue One

It is not limited to what spells are over 350. You basically have to learn recipes, spells and non-spells, that you don't currently know. For instance, with poisonmaking, I have to learn stuff that are under 350 trivial to level it up. I am currently stuck at 340 because the mats I need aren't "farmable" (meaning they don't drop off of certain mobs but depend on zone-wide clears). The thing that makes research so frustrating is that you need to learn 2000+ recipes to get from 300-350, so to get a single point you need to learn roughly 40 recipes, compared to poisonmaking where it only takes 9 recipes to level a skill point.
    That EQRecipes site is great because it lists all the recipes you don't know and need to learn to max out from 300-350, and most of them are going to be under 300 trivial.
    Annastasya, Yinla and Svann2 like this.
  5. Velisaris_MS Augur

Yes.

It takes 54 recipes per point 301-350.

Use the EQRecipes site and start making everything listed there. Use Overseer to get most of the dropped materials you need. Have a bag of ice nearby for your wrist when it gets sore from all the moving/clicking.
  6. Aanuvane Augur

There are a total of 4,108 recipes that "count" for research. I suspect zam, like EQTC hasn't gotten around to entering all the recipe IDs yet because it's so many. Almost all spells, tomes, songs count.

Here's a link to all the recipes that count for research

Then from the EQTC Guide on Research from 301 - 350:

These should bring your known/learned recipe total up to 1,031 or about 19 skill points.
    • Purchase and scribe Research: Sortilege Sheets & Battle Diagrams (Can Scribe). (570 recipes)
    • If you didn’t do the Crescent Reach Spell Research Freebie quest to raise your skill to 54, go to Crescent Reach, find Researcher Akila and tell her [Recipes] (4 recipes)
    • Inks (55 recipes)
    • Quills (20 recipes)
    • Solutions (51 recipes)
    • Scrolls and Tomes (198 recipes)
    • Thickeners (16 recipes)
    • Other Basic Ingredients (7 recipes)
    • Spellcaster's Essences (65 recipes)
    • Legacy of Ykesha Swatches (36 recipes)
    • PoR Mana Vials (5 recipes)
    • Buried Sea Odds and Ends (4 recipes)
    From this point you will need to start learning spells and tomes. In order to keep costs down, I highly recommend that you work your way from the lower level spells and tomes to higher level spells and tomes, but ultimately the most important thing at this point is what ingredients you have available and the speed at which you want to raise your skill. If you choose to go low to high – you will need to make all the known spells/tomes through level 71 or so. Find large populations of casting mobs (Undershore, Relic, Fortress Mechanotus and LDoNs are good) and start farming the various parchments, vellums and papers. LDoNs can also be a decent source for Crystallized Sulfur if you want to make your own solutions. Fortress Mechanotus (and other SoF zones) is a good source for Saltpeter as well as Charta Arcanums.
  7. Grove Augur

This is how I am handling research past 300 now.
    Pick a class.
    From Allakhazam, identify spells/tomes for that class.
    Match the spells/tomes individually with what can be crafted on EQ Traders (The Alla records are not reliable.)
    In a research kit (usually the stationary one in PoK) check if already I know the available recipe.
    Make recipe if unknown.
    Find a character growing into the level of the spells/tomes. Donate spells/tomes.
    Yes, this takes a lot of time. Yes, it gets the job done.
  8. Aanuvane Augur

I've raised research to 350 on several characters (because I'm a neurotic glutton for punishment).

I personally found that putting the appropriate kit in my first inventory slot and then putting a big supply of Inks, Quills, thickeners, additives and the various papers, parchments, etc in a house and then just stand there in my neighborhood and pull one of each ingredient out at a time from the house worked well. This allowed me to go bottom up based on trivials and save pp.

But everyone will do this in a way that works for them. There is no right or wrong way.

Have fun!
    Andarriel and Elyssanda like this.
  9. Cadira Augur

I haven't done research yet but figured when I do, I'd just buy a stack of parchments for any given lvl from bazaar, go to eqtraders, use the "find recipes that use this item" feature for the parchment, and make everything on the list.

Will this not work? Do a lot of them really not count or learn for some reason?
    Yinla likes this.
  10. Subpoena Journeyman

I am Max TS and here is what I did to make this process as easy as possible.

First, in EQ type "/outp recipes baking" (or whatever TS you're working on). This generates a file in your EQ folder of all the TS recipes you DO know.

Next, go to http://eqrecipes.free.fr/index.php and upload it (no login required). It will then spit you out a complete list all all the recipes you DONT know, including links to the recipes, as well as how many you need to learn to get to 350.

Hope this helps.
  11. Aanuvane Augur

This will work too.
    Cadira likes this.
  12. Velisaris_MS Augur

Just make sure you're not wasting time/plat by doing recipes you might have learned from books. Always check and make sure you haven't already learned something before stocking up on materials.

Alternatively, make sure you've scribed all the books you can.
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Echoing what @Aanuvane said, I don't think ZAM has up to date data for "learnable" for a great many old spells. This is a data point (database column for those inclined) which didn't exist when those spell entries were made. My guess is, they added the DB column, but instead of allowing for, and defaulting to, "unknown" for the learnable attribute, they defaulted to "no", unless they specifically knew otherwise.

As Velisaris said, you get a point of Research (post-300) for every 54 new recipes you learn. I'd pick the lowest level spells you could make (so, the cheapest), and make 54 different spells of that level, and see if you get a skillup in that time. My guess is, every one of those spells counts, and you will get a skillup by the time you make the last one. Probably sooner, unless you just got a skillup right before you start this experimental run.
    Andarriel likes this.
  14. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Well the good news im at 325 already so half way there i guess lol.
  15. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yea i spent like a month on my ranger farming 71-100 parchments and got a ton of the lower level ones in DoD. 71 through 100 i got a 100+ of them lots of kills. overseer helps a tiny bit but they dont give you much even if you crit.
  16. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Unless you have another reason to actually hit 350, I'd let this be the one you don't max, and yet you can still max your AP aug. 350 in all the others is 400 post-300 skillups (the main 7 plus fishing), so you only need 20 more post-300 skillups to max the aug. You said you already have 325 in research, so you should be good to go :)
    Andarriel, Aanuvane and Derka like this.
  17. Derka Power Ranger

I arrived at the same conclusion. Max everything but research and your AP is at 99% capacity. I got research to maybe 315 and then stopped. The effort isn't worth the 3 AC
  18. Velisaris_MS Augur

I would have started with the recipes where you can get the drops via Overseer, and only after that spend the time actually farming stuff from expansions not covered in OS or not for sell in the bazaar.
  19. Svann2 The Magnificent

I stopped research early when I maxxed artisan prize, then eventually went back and finished it anyway.
    Gialana likes this.
  20. Sissruukk Rogue One

Self-flagellation would have probably not hurt as bad.