Ditch Overseer and just make exp better

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by hein, Jan 18, 2023.

1. Iven Antonius Bayle

It is taking them away from the other game, not just from groups.

So you would refuse to buy a Krono for 1 mio pp, which you could sell for 4 mio pp, just because it is limited (capped) to one piece ?
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Sorry if I gave the impression it's 6 PCs. It's not, just one PC. I log them in simultaneously (in parallel, etc), and then once they're logged in, I do Overseer one account at a time. The processes in Overseer don't take long enough to justify swapping screens. Caveat: When doing my bulk conversions this past Friday, the 10 second wait for completion was enough to swap to another screen and do the 6 clicks needed to complete a conversion and kick off a new one, and get back to the first screen just in time for the completion of that conversion. That's the only multitasking of Overseer I've done that's been worth it.
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Just wanted to add my $0.02 here. I've played EQ since August of 2000. Prior to my last return (in April 2020), I had probably been subbed about half of that time, and never been subbed for more than a year at a stretch. I would burn out and get frustrated at the difficulty of getting things done. Since that return, I have been subbed continuously, so it's almost three years now. Does April 2020 ring any bells? It's a month after Overseer was introduced, and reading about it on the forums is what got me to re-sub at that time. So, for this EQ player, it's the one feature that has kept me subbed (and getting $ in to keep supporting EQ). I'll bet I'm not the only one.
    Rijacki likes this.
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

But that still doesn't consider that 2 months into the level-up expac, everyone is max level. You still need a boatload of AAs, and Overseer is WAY behind grinding or questing to amass AAs.
    Rijacki and Nennius like this.
  5. Iven Antonius Bayle

Why has Overseer motivated you to buy an AllAccess subscription ? Is it that you can level up your toons in slacker style with it ?
  6. Bobokin Augur

Most players?

I know whole guilds that almost the entire roster has quit the game because of nerfed mob experience. Casual play guilds became unfun and almost meaningless because they were forced into the linear path. It also did not help that casual guilds have alts and friends that do not have All Access, so they are severely handicapped by prestige and can't earn AAs.

I said a few years ago that Everquest was evolving into an exclusive raid guild and multibox game, and that is where we are. Overseer at least gives some of these players incentive to log in and do something.
  7. Bobokin Augur

What difference does that make to you? If you don't want to use Overseer, then don't. There is no need to disparage other players.
  8. Evurkvest Augur

I don’t mind overseer but I would much rather see the resources put in to developing, fixing and updating it to be spent on the actual EQ game.
    Dre. likes this.
  9. Iven Antonius Bayle

Calm down please, I am just curious about the link between Overseer and AllAccess. I myself do level up nearly all my higher toons by just Overseer in slacker style since about two years because I hardly can motivate myself or do have the time to play. I prefer to play low level alts which is so much more fun.
  10. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yes, and no. Being brutally honest, my mains have leveled completely from 110/105/105 to 120 using Overseer. Buff alts have leveled from ~96 to 120 using Overseer. In the mains case, I used that advantage to keep XP flowing to AAs, and that helped me catch up a LOT. I am perpetually 4-5 expacs behind current (and 10s of 1000s of AAs), so actual leveling post-110 would have taken me forever. This way, I got extra levels quickly, and kept getting AAs. For the buff alts, I literally don't play them. They are logged in and buff the mains when I need it.

Another reason was collects. When you don't play all that much (6-10 hours a week), you don't want to waste a lot of time getting that one last collect that just won't drop/spawn. Overseer is perfect for allowing a casual to fill out those collections, and get some pretty cool trophies.

So there you have it. Overseer, to me, is the perfect tool for allowing casuals and slackers (and those who are both, like me) the ability to keep playing EQ and enjoying it, without needing to spend a large chunk of time that would be required to level and find collectables.
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

To Iven:

Bobokin kinda nails it here. If you love EQ (and let's face it, those of us posting a lot here do love EQ, and have been playing for a LONG time), you should be glad about any feature that keeps people logging in, and paying, to support this game, even if you don't agree with, or even understand, why that feature appeals to others.

A couple examples for me:
    1 - raiding. Let's face it, getting raids created takes a TON of dev resources. I don't raid, so it does me no good. But I don't begrudge the dev time at all, because without it, the game would die.

2 - Ornamentations and cosmetics. Here's one I don't get. I don't care at all about appearances in game. But I don't mind the dev time put into these areas, because I know they pull a lot of $ into the game, and there ARE lots of people who enjoy it.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Rijacki like this.
  12. Tatanka Joe Schmo

At this point, I really don't think much dev time is being put into Overseer, it pretty much runs on it's own. So it's probably a moot point.
    Rijacki likes this.
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

So your basing all your conclusions that there is a lack of players on the lower level game? Of course there aren't that many player in the early game most are having fun exploring the lastest few expansions.

For the majority of us we use Overseer as a bonus not as a main source of leveling. Those who just log in and do Overseer are the ones who used to just log in and sit around waiting for task adds. EQ has doers and leechers, those who leech let those who do do all the work. With Overseer it takes away the need to leech off other players.

I started NoS with max EXP, so all the EXP from doing quest, missions and achievements is wasted, but at least I get a few AAs out of it. I'm not complaining as I know others still need it. Killing and Questing for AA is the only way to go. Overseer has no AA option, yes you can get collects but you need to do so many to get a full set. Its more effective to go and kill stuff.
  14. Iven Antonius Bayle

They are based on all content that is unlocked to FTP and I have spies that have AllAccess who do report to me what is going on in the latest expansions. There are also the forums which do provide many informations. You should know yourself that not only low level zones do lack players on AB; all zones do and that since many years and it is getting worse because players are leaving the sinking ship AB and either do quit or starting out fresh on FV and other well populated servers. You wrote yourself that only three raid guilds are left, which is ridiculous low: Age of Unity (merge guild), Ancient Dominion, Shadows of Doom.

I don't think that the majority of players is using it only as a bonus and if so it for sure is a big bonus. The forums alone do provide a different picture. For many players Overseer is the major experience source. Maybe not for all toons but for most of them.

It does not need an AA option because you can switch to AAs in the AA window. Its is not very effective tho for Overseer.
  15. Iven Antonius Bayle

I get your points Tatanka but I do also see the bigger picture. Of course from the perspective of the AB server which is drastically losing players since 2020 (Overseer release) at a much higher rate than before that date. Its is definetly interesting to learn why people do like/dislike and use Overseer. While it might work for you, Yinla and many other players I think that it caused more damage to the game than benefiting it.

According to its overall quality in the first two years sure not to much dev time went into it but it might have some tricky mechanics. I just wonder if that project will ever be finished. It feels more like the toy of a single dev. Lag, bad concept, constructive flaws, bad UI...
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

We have or had a 4th guild last year, they just don't register their wins, I'm not sure how Legion are doing these days. I've stoped grouping with people outside my usual group so I'm not mixing with them as much as I have in the past.

The main problem with guaging how many are playing with are instances, both Shar Vahl and Shadow Haven have players standing around going in and out of instances.

I'm trying to level the cloak so not really paying attention to what others are doing. Just every so often I run into a crowded area.

We had another returnee yesterday which is always nice to see, but its that time of year still where players are curious about the next expansion.
  17. Dre. Altoholic

Flat-out leaving experience on the table? Not a very constructive suggestion.

Many modern games utilize things like login rewards or rested experience. These are far superior catchup mechanics.

But really, the shift from "grinding will get you there as fast as anything" to "Do this specific thing else you'll have to grind 10x as hard" is the part that players are frustrated with.
    Iven likes this.
  18. Alnitak Augur

Not exactly. More like "Do this specific thing, or that specific thing, or that specific thing, or one or more of many other specific things. Just know now - grinding will not get you there fast".
    But players like you do not accept it. You are only willing to accept YOUR specific way. And Nigel in "Devil wears Prada" said "You are not trying, you are whining".
    Rijacki likes this.
  19. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Yeah thats why I don't propose ever removing overseer I agree with you on all the benefits it gives. I don't like it though I use it. Its a meaningless mini clicker (not even a game really) and has nothing to do with immersion in the game. I mean it makes zero sense that you get better at fighting monsters by running missions. BUT it serves a real need and it does help folks catch up or stay caught up.

And don't you have to be all access to play it? That would be how it encourages that too.

I get those who are against Overseer BUT if they can't also see the benefits of it they are too blinded by their prejudices to discuss it, in my opinion.

I really want better exp for grinding levels with mobs BUT doesn't mean overseer isn't very useful and of benefit to many.
    Yinla likes this.
  20. Velisaris_MS Augur

I think FTP players only get to do 3 tasks per rotation, as opposed to 5 for paid members. There might be other restrictions, I don't remember.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.