EverQuest Roadmap 2023

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Jan 11, 2023.

1. Jedis Arch Mage

Will the DX upgrades solve the issues we have with many new models appearing "washed out?"

[IMG]
  2. Brontus EQ Player Activist

3. Sturmlocke Apprentice

Yes.

@Wdor and folks running Windows 7: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/eq1-on-ubuntu-linux-22-04-guide.288229/

Let me know if you need anything else ladies and gentlemen, will try to find the time when possible (I'm currently in "parental leave" with mah kids, so time is a factor rn, but I will do my best to answer questions). Scroll all the way down to the lower part of my guide if you're still holding out on Windows 7 and the likes. I understand that some folks don't like the way Windows has evolved, and that's totally fine, I feel you, but you do have quite a few options nowadays. Security is just one of many factors to consider when upgrading to a new OS, I agree with previous posters on this one, as performance, cost, data and privacy related concerns, or even politics are also serious topics to keep in mind nowadays (among other things like look and feel, ease of use etc. ofc). Forum member "Aterskia" was in the very same position and together we managed to upgrade most of his Windows 7 machines to Linux, and his feedback has been good so far. Sure, it took some time to get used to some things, and we did get our hands dirty every now and then, but in the end it worked out. Life is all about learning and adapting to everything new basically, and this is no different. The benefit here is that not only do you get a serious performance boost when upgrading from say 7 to any modern Linux distro, but if price and cost is a major factor for you, then consider this; a modern Linux OS won't cost you a single dime. However, you do have the option to donate at will.

Windows 7 -> KDE Plasma -> Kubuntu Linux
    Hobitses likes this.
  4. Raccoo Augur

Yes! I spent hours trying to make the compass bigger, only to learn it is hardcoded. :(
    minimind likes this.
  5. Evurkvest Augur

Any plans to finish nec dot revamp this year? Last time there was any work done to this was may 2021. Only two spells to go...
  6. Raccoo Augur

Would like to see the priest direct heal lines (remedy/reckless/druidspellsidknames of) given the same treatment the hybrids had starting back in TOV (years ago). They should be target if friendly, and target's target if not.

Example
    https://spells.eqresource.com/spells.php?id=62366
    Target: Single Friendly or Targets Target
  7. Axxius Augur

Please be EXTREMELY careful with the UI and DX11 updates. The two worst disasters in the history of this game that caused the biggest losses of the player base were the 2002 UI update and the 2004 switch to DX9 that made a whole lot of players unable to even log in for weeks and months. Something like that in 2023 will simply kill EQ1.
    Thunderkiks likes this.
  8. CrazyLarth Augur

9. Allayna Augur

Agreed.

They should also remove the timer 15 from the druid heal line -
    Sootheseance.

Let's hope they haven't forgetten about this:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/nos-aa-feedback-thread.285974/
    TsiawdMS likes this.
  10. Xanbar Augur

Thank you. This is so much nicer than the "you'll get whatever we decide in secret to give you" approach that seems to be so ubiquitous.
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Windows 10 also only has a couple more years of support from Microsoft. Hopefully Microsoft removess the hardware requirements of windows 11 by then. Prob won't but we can hope.
    Skuz and Rijacki like this.
  12. Accendo Guest

This post is open to discuss the 2023 Roadmap. Please stay on topic with your comments and feedback.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?help/terms

13. Crackers Elder

Are there plans to allow additional applications this year?

I also heard a rumor there is a new raid tool being worked on. Is this part of the UI port? Or was I lied to on this rumor?
  14. Krowbar Apprentice

For the new UI, will there be a tool to create custom UI's, or we just have to keep on with a text editor?
    I think EQ2 had some form of editor.
  15. Ariana Augur

They said it's a subset of HTML5 so something like VSCode should be fine as far as an editor goes. A plugin or language specification that can be applied to the files would be a huge QoL thing for enabling intellisense.

Will there be documentation available as far as what that valid HTML5 subset looks like? For custom UI authors, will all windows be able to take advantage of the new engine when it launches in March, or does that need to be turned on per window as the EQ team works on porting more and more windows to the new system? For example, can I create my own version of the group window on the new engine before Daybreak releases their HTML5 version? Will custom UI authors have control over how individual windows scale with the UI scale slider via resolution breakpoints or something like that?

These UI changes sound like an upgrade and a step in the right direction, especially regarding UI scaling. None of it will really matter though if in game changes to the UI are not persistent between logins. One of the most frustrating parts of the EQ UI (to me) is that the game doesn't remember where I positioned windows and resets their locations or dimensions regularly. Moving between fullscreen and windowed mode is also pretty gross as far as the UI is concerned. It would be nice if everything didn't get reset if sometimes I play fullscreen and sometimes I play in windowed mode. Is borderless fullscreen windowed mode on the table?

As far as the window snapping goes, please implement both border adjacency snapping when windows are moved adjacent to one another, as well as resize snapping, so resizing a "snapped window" next to another one helps me align the border that I'm manipulating to the corresponding border on the adjacent window (help me make windows the same height with pixel precision). Maybe open this up so a top border can height snap to a top or bottom border of an adjacent window, and a left or right border can snap to a left or right border of an adjacent window.
    Zrender likes this.
  16. Lord Viros New Member

To all the people who are crazy excited about the UI and DX11.....Relax. The only reason they are doing this is because Windows 7 is literally being phased out by Microsoft, and forcing it's user base to go to at LEAST Windows 10 (it's forced in a way that other windows versions weren't). If daybreak didn't update the engine and DX11, the game would die with Windows 7. And to those who are devastated by the news, also relax. It likely will operate just like the old UI setup. Just have different operating mechanisms behind it. You probably won't even be able to tell anything changed. That is all....
    Metanis likes this.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Windows 7 has already been phased out by Microsoft and hit end of life over 3 years ago January 14, 2020. Even if that wasn't the case there is no reason to update the UI or Direct X engine just because an OS is going away when the Direct X version is still supported.

As far as I have seen there is no news about Direct X 9 not being supported and no reason to think that anything Microsoft does will impact the UI.
  18. Terses Half Elf Warrior of Tarew Marr

Not sure if this has been asked, couldn't find it with some cursory searches, but any chance the DX11 upgrade will bring better wide screen support?

Any aspect ratio wider than (I want to say) 16:9 currently stretches everything and looks horrible... I know people who play with it, and I just don't get how because. ugh. I would love to take advantage of my wider monitor without having to play in windowed mode to avoid the stretch.
  19. Darksyphon New Member

What day will the new servers release, I am going to put in for vacation time...
  20. Grimolf New Member

Tested "New UI" on test server:

The fans have been asking for a new modernized functional beautiful UI for years and instead you all just fix some of the bugs in the current version. Really...that's it? Wow...