Progression Server. Place your bets!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Vicus, Jan 11, 2023.

1. Vicus Augur

These are what I believe based off past experiences will be actual successful servers. Since they are only launching one server and want to ensure monetary success, I don't see them being to risky. Just my opinion, curious what others think.

First - Another PoP locked server. The first one was successful enough for the first year to generate good revenue that it would ensure a decent profit again because its been long enough since the last server that people would do it again. Also a jump in and out easy server for those playing on Live.

Second - A Miragul style server with True-box turned off or relaxed Tru-box out the gate. During the announcement of the original Miragul server, the player made unofficial discord for the server was nearing 1400 people because the announcement was worded in a way that people believed the server would allow boxing. This went on for a month until about 10 days before launch they confirmed it was a trubox server. The discord dropped below 400 members before launch (with a bunch of messages about how they killed it before they started) and less then 200 after the first week. Outside of one guild who had the server to themselves, that TLP was a ghost town after 20 days. But it is now been awhile and many people are looking to play the late expansions, and don't want to wait on Mischief/yelinak/etc to get there. So this could be a prime opportunity to do it right. Just as a reference, Rizlona was the server released after this one (no truebox) because of the outcry from what they did with Miragul and Rizlona is still going strong. So there is desire for this type of server.

Third - A mischief clone/remix. Simple as that. This server was a hit for many (I never tried) and generates revenue. I wouldn't be surprised they just do something similar to capitalize and ensure earnings.

Fourth - This has the lowest chance but would be just as successful, but since Vaniki just happen, I don't think this will happen for a few years because it would be an admission they did it wrong. But putting it out there anyways, a Vaniki 2.0 where you can actually beat the current expansions IN ERA. This is the key thing that was missing on Vaniki 1.0 Almost no one wants to have content unlocked all the way to PoR, but even the best guilds are stuck clearing time or Tier 1 Omens of War raids. People want a challenge but still want to be able to kill the current expansion. Darkpaw was unable to find this balance out the gate and gave up on it after 60 days. There are no guilds pushing progression on Vaniki anymore after less then a year. All but one stopped pushing progression after 5 months. It is now a grouping server. But there were many raiding guilds looking for a challenge at launch...key word is challenge, not impossible. This server would be great if they could find the right balance of challenge. No one that played Vaniki wanted to clear PoP the first week it dropped, but they also didn't want to wait 4 months to be able to do it either after another 3-4 expansions are released. Being able to do it one month prior to the next expansion drop is the perfect pace. You can look at the discord conversation history and fire of heavens forums to see how many people wanted real competition and in era challenge. Here's to dreams.

Outside of those 4 above, nearly everything else is very risky to turn a profit/generate decent revenue. Darkpaw seem's to take more risk when they release two progression servers, not so much when they only drop one.

If you drop a "classic" clone like Yelinak, you just steal from Peter to pay Paul. So don't see this happening this round.

Super Runner Up. Another Selo server. While the first one was very successful at the start, it became obvious later that one month was an unachievable pace, so I don't think this server happens again without many rule changes as those who did it the first time, would know how the server turned out in the later expansions and would just avoid the server this time. So this is put into the "to risky" category for me.

So based on one server and previous server types, what are you expecting?
    Appren and Skuz like this.
  2. Xhartor Augur

I am really hoping for a TSS start server where we start at level 1 with a standard unlock cadence. However I am not going to hold my breath for it.
    itzagame_m8s and Vlahkmaak like this.
  3. Kukaw Augur

I'm hoping it will be a PVP server because I believe that would have the least amount of negative impact on Mischief.

I know it's selfish, but that's what I'm hoping for...but I seriously doubt they will make one.
    Although, I never expected a Mischief type server either, so who knows <shrugs>

Either way I am not leaving Mischief; it would need to get completely decimated before I quit it.
    I am still having way too much fun on it, and honestly, I just can't do classic and the expansions just after it again anytime soon.
    I am just too burned out from them. The nostalgia is gone for now (how I loathe the tunnel).

I'll admit that the first week or two seeing the newbie zones packed is pretty fun and nostalgic, but for me (at least the last few years) the new-ness wears off quickly, and it's the same ole same ole again.
  4. KobalWR Lorekeeper

My favourite option would be a Kunark starting server with Mischief random (but not double) loot.
    Kunark because not a Classic server ever again (please). A random loot system makes the farmers' job harder by making it impossible to lock an item (FBSS, GEB, Fungi, etc.).
    Double loot was really too much on Mischief. Most of the gear was worthless. Also, we really don't need anything that make the game (Classic -> PoP expansions) easier than it is today.

That's what I'd hope but I'm not sure what to expect. A Mischief clone or something close would probably be a safe bet tho, considering how popular Mischief was and still is.
  5. Labzeh Lorekeeper

I agree with Kukaw, I want them to make a completely unprofitable server that noone wants to play so that Kukaw can personally have his best experience as he has no intention leaving his server regardless.
    Kukaw likes this.
  6. MischiefTLP Augur

1) Random loot for group named, it's the greatest thing ever for TLP launch
    2) Now that level cap and expansions are unlinked, never launch with only Classic ever again
    3) If you're going to have a TSS launch, Vaniki 2.0 or another server that will quickly lead to a small number of guilds being far ahead of ever other guild, make sure that the other server has a completely different ruleset because most people don't play on TLPs to be several expansions behind other guilds
    4) Make Conqueror of Veeshan's Peak an optional step and have the reward for Conqueror of The Ruins of Kunark be VP access, same for Sleeper's/Velious and Vex Thal/Luclin, also optional step anything without an AoC so there aren't 8 guilds camping Lodizal to get Sleeper's access
  7. nezran New Member

I would like to see what I experience on P99 Green: Velious-locked, all original game mechanics like sense-heading, languages, coin weight, death/corpse runs.
    itzagame_m8s likes this.
  8. Mashef Augur

The one thing we can almost assuredly guarantee is that it will have the new "relaxed truebox" ruleset from the start allowing us to run 3 instances of EQ per rig. If it gets even half of the population of say Aradune/Mischief the 1st and 2nd most popular TLP in TLP history the revenue would be massive as a majority of those people would then run at least 1 or 2 extra accounts, thus doubling or tripling the revenue on a per player basis.

I think everything else is up in the air. The forum has a lot of great suggestions and a lot of suggestions that are not intriguing to very many people. DPG needs to have the right resources in place to weed through what would be widely accepted vs. something like say Vaniki and Yelinak.
  9. Jagular Journeyman

I would like to see a server with random drop like Mischief but not free trade, so you have bind on pick up and bind on equip. I think that would a fun server.
  10. Lamberduim Elder

I know someone that works at dark paw. It's gonna be 2 servers again and while one server is already decided on the others a mystery.

So apparently the other server is supposed to be a new thing dark paw is excited about
    Kinda like last year was new with that one server that had a level cap but spells hit higher level or whatever server that was. It's completely different though and it's still being discussed with only the upper echelon in the loop.

2nd server is gonna apparently be a selos clone with possible mischief loot rules. They still haven't decided the last part.
  11. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

I never got a chance to play on the first selo's, so I will 100% jump to a new selos. I'm so excited if your mysterious "source" is telling the truth.

I kind of wish they'd make a few small tweaks to the original selo's server idea.
    -Start in classic
    -Slow down the expansion unlocks temporarily at specific expansions. Four weeks = classic/Four weeks = Kunark/Four weeks = Velious/Eight weeks = Luclin/Four weeks = PoP + LoY/Four weeks = LDON/Four Weeks = Gates/Eight weeks = OOW/Four weeks = DoN to TSS

Give us a few breathers here and there to catch up, back flag, etc.
  12. Cronar Elder

If they wanted to create buzz that lasts, they should do a server with mischief rules, but not time or vote gate it, and let it be 1 to max from the beginning. A race server.
    I might lead to divorces and loss of employment, but it would be a hit.
  13. Tucoh Augur

• TSS Launch
    • Level-capped with timed unlocks
    • Randomized loot
    Xhartor and Skuz like this.
  14. Manafasto Augur

I hope they introduce BST/BZK at the launch of at least one of the TLPs. To me Mischief rules with BST/BZK at launch with a reward for grouping. It can be an extra chance at a random drop or better XP than normal for TLPs. I enjoy EQ but I do not like playing by myself. If the groups are a flowing I am enjoying myself.
    Vlahkmaak likes this.
  15. Crabman Augur

It really shouldnt be anything other than option 3. Its free trade of bust at this point...
  16. Baulkin Augur

Mischief Clone. The server will be in the buried sea expansion... some people will be looking for a fresh start. It would be "nice" if the clone started in Kunark or Velious...for my sanity.
  17. Feelics New Member

I think a mix between Mischief and the old 51/50 server would be a good idea. Start in Luclin or PoP. Find a way to include Zerkers at launch. That way all classes at the get go. Only missing 1 race if a PoP start since LoY come out with PoP. Free Trade or No Drop items, either way it's all going to be sold for plat or krono.

Reasoning. A lot of players are tired of the classic start and want something a little later on. However I feel bypassing PoP you leave a big chuck of TLP players that enjoy that expansion. There is a lot of players who do play the classic through Luclin era just to gain gear and plat to switch over to beastlords or Zerkers. Why not give them a chance to start at launch and enjoy the game like they want to. With a Luclin or PoP start there is better loot for those 2 classes. Grinding out the early levels and AAs can be a drag. Start off with a leg up and give them the testbuff gear to start off with. It's not game breaking as defiant gear.
  18. Ownanat Journeyman

Saying players are tired of a classic start is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. The only possible point you might have is players want a kunark start for iksar
    Every server starts losing players slowly after kunark, and once pop/God is through its basically a ghost server compared to the start. People flock to classic.

The vocal minority that uses the forums doesn't mean people are tired of classic starts
    Crabman likes this.
  19. Triconx Augur

People flock to classic for easy Kronos and go back to their other server. They don't actually enjoy classic. New TLPs start losing population Day 2.

The devs seem to agree considering how classic is shorter and shorter each cycle
  20. Ownanat Journeyman

Yes the krono farmers must sell and buy to themselves because they all flock to the empty new classic server people hate.
    Crabman likes this.