Beta Reward

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by I-WANT-IT-NOW, Jan 9, 2023.

1. I-WANT-IT-NOW Augur

Come on guys and gals you can do better!

Not everyone likes the same things and no matter what you choose some will be unhappy but at least rotate what is offered. More then half of EQ doesn't have a pet and they shouldn't be running a familiar just to run a familiar only further adding to lag in zones, on servers and for the entire game by adding even more things for the game to track. Looking back at the past few it was well over due to be an illusion!

EoK: Head Ornament
    RoS: Illusion
    TBL: Head Ornament
    ToV: Weapon Ornaments
    CoV: Pet-Familiar
    ToL: Weapons Ornament
    NoS Pet-Familiar again. This should have been an illusion, even if its the exact same model just casted on players.

Further still there are what 5-6 pet illusions every hertiage crate and another 3 from rainbow pride day. Where are the 9 illusions a year?
    Orienn, Toukan and MmmmBop like this.
  2. MageGuy MageGuy

What's the pet illusion?
  3. Marton Augur

Deepshade Understudy.
    MageGuy likes this.
  4. menown Augur

I am anti beta rewards. Just attending beta should be its own reward.
  5. Ankarv Harbinger of Nightmares

What is a deepshade understudy
  6. MmmmBop Wise Troll

Pet illusion / familiars were really cool for a while, but it's becoming overkill now. Half of the player base doesn't have a pet, so what useful reward do they get?
    Elyssanda and Fenthen like this.
  7. MageGuy MageGuy

Very cool what devs did. The /claim count must be based on the number of beta tokens earned. Which is great. Ty dbg.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  8. Scila Augur

It's the elemental models in Deep :)
  9. Ankarv Harbinger of Nightmares

Ok, thats cool. My poor baby wrulon only got used for a weekish
  10. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

The most appropriate reward for NoS beta would have been a Grimling Contract. It would be cool to see a grimling merc for a mid-year content update though so all players can appreciate it.

I think illusions, merc contracts, and other top rewards likely get players more upset if they miss out on those rewards for their main or alt accounts. GMs and devs probably have to work through dozens of petitions and DMs as a result.

Smaller rewards such as familiars and hat ornaments don't create the same kind of fear of missing out.
    Svann2 likes this.
  11. Toukan Augur

And....for all the non pet classes ?
    Fenthen likes this.
  12. Fenthen aka Rath

Screwed.
    Toukan likes this.
  13. Orienn TreeHugger

Ya that's crappy, I would of much rather had an ornament or an illusion.
  14. SteamFox Augur

I love the new illusion, it looks very cool. But I play a pet class, so I can see where someone who doesn't would be less excited. Personally I'd love it if all illusions functioned like the TBS era Dinosaur illusion. You can cast it on yourself and/or target your pet and cast it on them.

Also for beta rewards it would be neat if the currency was just another alt currency only earned during beta and people could go to a merchant (maybe the merchant is only up in January? idk) and select from a couple choices including prior expansions. Remove the "omg I missed out" feeling by letting people grind current beta for the cool item they wish they got last year. Plus this also lets people have something unique that is interesting to them. Pretty much identical system to the anniversary coins.
    Ssdar and Toukan like this.
  15. Tertoon3 Journeyman

Kick in the nuts to every non-pet class. Pretty darn underwhelming
  16. Tweakfour17 Augur

Bit harsh, non pet classes can still have a cosmetic familiar following around. Not really any different than a unique hat neither provide any value/power just a neat visual. If it was an ornament then it'd be a "kick in the nuts" to people who don't own hero's forge. If it was a Merc contract then it's excluding 6 boxers. Can't win em all, but at least there is variety each year.
    Grove and Svann2 like this.
  17. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Title: Master Beta

I'm soo gonna get into trouble for this
    Orienn, Fenthen and Toukan like this.
  18. MageGuy MageGuy

Was this a dbg error and I just claimed on wrong toon?

"We apologize for the inconvenience. Items cannot be claimed at this time. Please try again in a few minutes". But can claim other items...
  19. robber baron Journeyman

Rule of Life: Don't commit to work if you don't know what the compensation is.

If you did Beta solely for the Beta Tokens and you didn't know what you were getting, the only person to blame is yourself.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  20. MageGuy MageGuy

Not blaming anyone - did you say that because you thought I was? I just assumed since my /claim has a number bigger than one that it meant it was a /claim with more than one. And not that it matters to you but I've been beta testing since underfoot. I get it and get why we do it. I assumed they were using a different approach to the number of claims.