Burst of power AA, F2P players.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Strawberry, Jan 3, 2023.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It does make sense that they would prefer a player to be all access instead of just purchasing unlockers.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

And this is the definitive reason most FTP suggestions are not really viable, no matter how logical. After all if they keep giving FTP more and more then there would be no reason to subscribe.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  3. Zarkdon Augur

Play EQ one evening a year instead of going out for drinks. Take the money you save and apply it to your yearly sub. Then you will have all the features you crave, and your net worth changed $0 and you can still say you are free to play.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  4. zleski Augur

Data point: Eve Online is far more restrictive than Everquest in what it grants free-to-play players.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and CatsPaws like this.
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

And I think they're overpriced at 1/4 that price. Not a big deal for me TBH. Doing without krono works no hardship for me.
  6. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I'd like to learn this trick unless it involves selling in the bazaar. There is no bazaar where I play.
  7. Fenthen aka Rath

It's because old raid gear, augs, etc are sellable on FV, so it's super EZ PZ to make money. Raiding in one guild alone can float you for the year worth of kronoed sub time if you're active enough in selling your old gear.
    Tarvas likes this.
  8. Laronk Augur

I can't speak for normal servers but on FV you can farm items for sale then sell those items since there's a lot more stuff you can sell in the bazaar. So you farm a few best in slot augs and sell those on the bazaar then you can eventually find someone to sell you a krono.

The way to farm plat, is to farm items people want or ts the items people want. Direct farming is only good when you need spell money or just need money to buy containers
  9. Iven Antonius Bayle

I had not included auto-grant into my calculations because for most PCs it is a one-time perk and it does work very differently than the AA unlockers. Auto-grant is a nice boost that does save many hours of grinding time but the AA cap won't be raised by it.

There does not have to be a reason to subscribe. It is just a different price model and the game managers might be to lazy to change anything. Subscriptions do work for many players but just because no better alternative had been added. It is a very outdated pricing model and as old as the game itself. It has many reasons why the game is loosing players and that is one of it.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Subscriptions are not an outdated model and the free to play games you are talking about can end up costing a lot more then a subscription game with all the things you need to buy.
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Here is an interesting fact. They removed the Alternate Ability Cap Increase from the marketplace briefly because players who had paid accounts were buying it thinking it would increase the AA cap they had. (and yes a well known and respected member of these forums admitted to making that mistake) It is only for Free/Silver accounts to increase how many more AA they can earn by 100 points.

So if I am Free and have a cap of 250 and I go paid one month then auto grant at say level 90 ish then I will get about 3,000 AA (I had posted a screen shot of this in the past) which is far above the "cap"of 250 but I get to keep those.

And if a free account buys the Cap then they are now capped at 350 and can earn up to that but also can still do the auto grant and earn far more. So just like people confuse "bots" and "boxes" there is misunderstandings on "cap" and "limit".
  12. Iven Antonius Bayle

Subscription based bonuses are outdated for most players because today the average player has much less time to play and less money to spend. In 1999-2005, 6-14 hours daily was pretty common for many players. Today it is more like 1-5 hours and not every day for the average Joe, so the average weekly play time is much lower than in the early years of EQ when the subscription price model was released as the only option. Subscriptions (=Flatrate) are basically only a good option for players that do spend much time in EQ or don't care about the money.

They are a bad option for players that do not play much, do often swap between "their" accounts, and have to care about money. The second group will either stay FTP or leave EQ. As EQ has a high subscription rate I do claim that most of those players do leave instead of staying FTP -> EQ player population going down.

Well adjusted micropayment options would be a real alternative for the second group (low and/or irregular play time, short on money) and it would also invite players that want to be in full control of their play time and money. Nothing is more annoying than pre-paying for a set period of time up to a year and then not having enough time to play or access to the game/internet. In the current unsteady era, people from most parts on earth do have a very low planning reliability.
  13. Loup Garou De loop de loop

I think HBO, ESPN, Disney, Chewy, Amazon Prime, Costco, Sam's Club, Meal deliveries, Netfliz and hundreds of other subscription services will disagree with the opinion that subscription based bonus are outdated.

After all we subscribe to any/all of those and as a bonus we get free shipping (Amazon), Discount pricing (Costco, Sam's), special shows, convenience of meals to our doors, etc.

There are even subscription services you can pay for that will tell you how many subscription services you already have and are paying for and not using. Most people do not pay much attention to what they are paying for subscriptions anymore

Or are we in reality paying for those bonus's? Like in Television we can get basic OTA (over the air) free thru an antenna but subscribing to Cable gets us movies, sports not shown on OTA. Or we can go in and shop at Sam's/Costco without a membership and pay an extra 10% and we can certainly order from Amazon and pay for shipping or make a min order for free shipping.

So we can play EQ free like OTA TV or we can pay and have all the goodies.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Shanarias like this.
  14. Iven Antonius Bayle

It is a confusing mechanic. Auto-grant should increase the cap too because it is based on a subscription but it doesn't seem to. Buying a Heroic Character does also not increase the cap which is annoying. I cannot remember how I had raised the cap on my old AllAccess account. I think it was just by farming AAs.
  15. Iven Antonius Bayle

That is the point. The customer is always paying for bonuses because they are not bonuses for the customer but for the offerer instead. The customers are often just silly enough to think that they are bonuses for themselves.
  16. Strawberry Augur

Read an interview with Nexon a few years ago.

The interviewer asked what the point of F2P was if many F2P players never buy anything. Why allow these people in the games.

The developer said that those millions of F2P players who never spend a dime, offer an invaluable service for free to Nexon. Namely populating the games.
    Iven likes this.
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

This makes no sense to me at all. I play 5-10 hours a week, so let's just say 7.5. I'm on the very low end, play-time-wise, of players who play regularly.

I pay 3 subs quarterly, so that's $13.99/mo x 3. Not including expac costs, because that's a separate issue. So it costs ~$42 for ~30 hours of gameplay, or ~$1.40/hour.

Compare that to pretty much ANYTHING recreational, and that's peanuts.

I've had plenty of complaints about EQ over the years, but cost has never been one of them.

They DO have a good plan for those short on money. It's called "free to play". Zero cost to play, no expacs needed unless you want to play in the most recent two.
  18. Loup Garou De loop de loop

Actually my point was that the subscription based services are not outdated.

Doesn't matter if they are a bonus or not, people still pay for subscriptions. The meaning of subscription is the action of making or agreeing to make an advance payment in order to receive or participate in something.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  19. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Wasn't me but.......

[IMG]
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You don't need to be using a service for 6-14 hours a day to make the subscription worth it. The problem is when comparing the costs of a subscription service to a free to play/use service the free service can quickly become more costly then the subscription service. There is a reason why many of the free to play games are called pay to win games.

When you are talking about a game that offers a $9.99 a month subscription it should be easy to see that you don't have to play a massive amount of time to make that cost worth it. At that price it is already cheaper then a lot of activities that people do on a regular basis.