New UI suggestions

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Corwyhn Lionheart, Jan 7, 2023.

1. Swiss Augur

UI could use some updates but most of the time when I see a screenshot with 3/4 the screen covered in UI it's because of personal choices and putting too much on oversized hotbars/windows. I keep few hotbars on screen with clickies I rarely use but my UI is way way more open than your example.

If you get used to keybinds beyond 1 through = you also can have hotbars that are shrunk or turned off if you really need minimalist. You can also make social keys to hit 5 things instead of having them all visible on hotbar.

Looking forward to improvements but less UI just for the sake of less is not good.
    Wdor and Rijacki like this.
  2. Zeoni Journeyman

I like the New WoW UI but EQ use Hotbars for AA abilities then Spells Since they kept the Spell bar ui and have very few on Hotbar there like 3 spots for Spells the rest are on the Spell bar Ui. Unless your asking them to re Do the Code To put spell on Hotbar. There will be very little change.
  3. Svann2 The Magnificent

Copying the wow ui would be a copyright violation.
    But ui revamp IS in the roadmap so, yea they know.
  4. Beardsy Elder

Just give me the current default UI for EQ with the ability to scale it to a 5120x1440 resolution. Or better yet, 7680x2160 coming this year :)

The default EQ UI is already fine the way it is, it's only issue is scalability imo.
    Ileasa, Wdor, CatsPaws and 2 others like this.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

That would make life so much easier when setting up chat boxes.
  6. Cidran Augur

While I'm not a fan of the current UI, I love the fact that it is very customizable. With some work, we can make it look like we want and adapt it as much as possible to our needs.

If something is to change, I only wish this customization capability to be bigger and easier for the average user, both in practical and aesthetic terms.
    Ileasa, Ozon, Joules_Bianchi and 3 others like this.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I think the more categories of chat is more of a code/performance issue as I have heard them say in the past they have hit limits of how many filter types they can have.

As for the note about closing windows that would be a good option in the UI to disable that function for some windows. Some Custom UI's already do that for chat windows.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  8. Nennius Curmudgeon

Complete agreement. I like being able to alter my UI a lot. ATM, I am pleased with what I have.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

While there is a lot you can do with it there is still a lot that can't be done with the current system as well as being a pain at times to modify. Honestly there is a lot that can be done to make it more customizable and able to better scale to larger screens as well as higher resolution.
  10. Svann2 The Magnificent

EQ2 has an astounding amount of ui adjustability.
    Rijacki likes this.
  11. Strawberry Augur

The UI and font should just be responsive and be able to scale according to user desire, like it does in WoW, in Windows, in pretty much any well designed software.

We shouldn't be adjusting window by window to begin with.

responsive design in League of Legends:

[IMG]
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

User interfaces and expectations has changed a lot in the last couple of decades and I would expect a new UI from EQ to have many more of those types of features.
    Andarriel and Rijacki like this.
  13. Drakah UI Designer

Number One priority for any UI is the ability to scale the size of the UI elements to the resolution you are using, especially when you have players for the visually impaired.
    (Ex: Star Wars the Old Republic has this ability)
    Rijacki, Joules_Bianchi and Andarriel like this.
  14. Dre. Altoholic

A gajillion times this.

Anyone out there utilizing a 2nd monitor for viewport with all the other crap slid off to an 'interface' screen?

I'd also love to know why it takes the better part of a minute to reload/copy layout on even the most basic UI (hint: it's not my PC running an M.2 4.0 980 evo)
    Strawberry and Svann2 like this.
  15. Ilidan New Member

Well...

I'd rather want to avoid getting eye cancer from EQ default UI, but it would be great if /copylayout would actually work so I can shift window layout depending on monitor with a hotkey. Preferrably *without* losing all of the channels, thank you DB.
    Ozon likes this.
  16. strongbus Augur

the only real change I want in the UI is put our xp/aa bars on the main window. I hate having to look at my aa window to see how many I have banked or look at my inv window to see how far till I ding a alt.
    Ileasa and Wdor like this.
  17. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

DBG literally owns a sweet, modifiable UI system that is sitting on a dead server somewhere:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The default (bleh)
    [IMG]

Unlike EQ, EQ2, and many others, this UI system has a "layout mode." Where the UI components can only be moved while in layout mode, preventing accidental drags and not requiring you to lock every element into place. Layout mode also "shades" every element so that transparent elements can easily be placed, as well as a label on every element as to what it actually is.

[IMG]

I'd put up a shot of the default layout mode, but I don't have one saved anywhere and didn't want to reset the Tbird-Drox settings one.

Oh.. and it can save a ton of layouts (20 I think?) that easily let you rearrange from a "cluttered" look to a minimalist look.. from grouping to raiding to crafting etc.. so that.. with a simple click, you can set your UI layouts to perform your tasks as easily as possible and removing anything unnecessary. It still saves all of those macros.

That's per character.... per... character...

Granted, the back end systems are wildly different.. as are any being mentioned in this thread.. but eh. Some stuff must be compatible.. if you notice many of the icons on the hotbar/buff bar exist in EQ right now if you edit a macro.
    Svann2, Rijacki and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  18. bobokatt Augur

This -- a thousdand times!
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  19. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

add ons =/= UIs which there are many EQ UIs available, which EQ does support.

Apples and Oranges.

and GINA is a thing....
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Scalability is definitely the first order of business.
    Ileasa, Rijacki and Joules_Bianchi like this.