Would you use a new Wurmslayer (SPA162) weapon?

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Tucoh, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Tucoh Augur

Reposting from beta thread:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...for-honed-wurmslayer-2-0.286479/#post-4183102

SPA162 is pretty saturated but for SKs at least the skin line doesn't have the same proc-uptime as Brace for Impact. Brace for Impact procs a buff at 300% rate that has 12 hits and Skin procs it at 400% with 3 hits. SKs also have the Mantle line that is 1 minute up, 15minutes down.

Looking at the relative raid war BP HP values of EoK vs ToL (6095 vs 14685) which increased by 2.41, a new wurmslayer would have a SPA162 cap of 4216 (up from 1750). Still pretty modest, but might fill in some uptime gaps on SPA162.

Assuming the new wurmslayer had similar delay / ratio / stats to its competing weapons (which isn't historically true), would you generally prefer it over the Spike of Anger / Rune weapons on your plate tank?

For my warrior I feel like I'd look at whether I'm getting breaks in Brace for Impact uptime. For my SK (ignoring the delay difference...) I'd look at breaks in Skin proc uptime and compare Rune proc counts to the kinds of hits I'm taking.
    Dre. likes this.
  2. Wulfhere Augur

Knight Armor/Carapace, Penitence/Impertinence, and Repudiate discs are also SPA 162.

The Honed Wurmslayer and the Skull of Null are both great for farming older content because of their SPA effects. Otherwise they gave a little tanking help to ranger, bard, and rogue in EoK and RoS.
  3. Petalonyx Augur

I'd absolutely love and use it on my paladin even if it overlaps with some discs/abilities (those discs/abilities aren't always on).
  4. Cannikin Augur

I'd use it if it were able to be used in the Secondary hand, otherwise I'd have a hard time giving up the extra DPS of the warrior swords, assuming the new Wurmslayer had a similar ratio to the generic 1H weapons.
  5. Wulfhere Augur

Oh and the Empyr mission with Prince Ralaifin is designed to be done using the Wurmy (spiders).
  6. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Main reason I still use mine is because it's the only 1hander I have available to me that doesn't have an agro proc.
  7. Dre. Altoholic

Wurmslayer rocks. A level 85'ish version would be huge.
    Graag Baash likes this.
  8. Jack Elder

So it's ok for the warrior to ask for something but not ok for the druid?
  9. Szilent Augur

Is Koshka a warrior? I don't know them. They've only ever posted that specific request, without any identifiers, and didn't get any traction among tanks. I'd presumed they were a bard or ranger who doesn't have other protection abilities.
  10. Cicelee Augur

11. Tucoh Augur

It's OK for any player to ask for things. Druids, warriors, wannabe gnome beastlords, whatever. It's certainly OK for druids, one of the more mana starved classes, to ask for better mana recovery tools.

Within the context of whether a player should need to complete old content in order to maximize their character's benefit, I'd argue that warriors benefit the most from 3+ year old content because of how much their power scales with AC/HP/ATK that they can get from heroic AAs, random augs, and how dependent they are on clickies in order to add utility to their class. And I don't think that's a bad thing.
    Petalonyx likes this.
  12. Dre. Altoholic

In the tanks forum...
  13. Allayna Augur

Pretty sure, in context, this is related to 3 warriors in a druid thread saying druids should just do more old content development instead of asking for a way to return mana quickly after a death.
  14. Szilent Augur

You are substantially misrepresenting participation in that thread.
    Lluianae likes this.
  15. Lluianae Elder

I wouldn't pay much heed to when people get into a tizzy when members of other classes participate. Tunare forbid bringing similarities in other archetypes to the discussion table.

On topic: A new Wurmslayer would be neat as an option, perhaps too good for multi-mob situations especially when you consider npc strikethrough rates and existing db & di ranges. I have my Honed one ready on my SK's bando.
  16. Ozon Augur

Maybe? It could be useful at times for older content or swarming for cloak exp, but the ratio I would prefer to be in line with knight 1h (I am a SK), would likely make it a no go for everyone else. I am by no means DPS when using a 1h, but I would also prefer to not hamstring myself for a weapon with fairly specialized purpose.
  17. Szilent Augur

older content adds no exp to cloaks
  18. Ozon Augur

Good point, so likely no.
  19. Kleitus_Xegony Augur

It just hit me... It would have probably wiped out all of the pre-Jan 2023 patch DPS of the weak-con mobs like the mushrooms at the tunnel opening in Deepshade. As a paladin though, that wasn't an option since the self-heal procs covered that anyways.

My thoughts only, an upgraded SPA 162 effect like Wurmslayer has would be an interesting thing to put on a tank shield or even better a rare / hard-to-get shield aug.
    Warpeace likes this.
  20. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

How does it interact with Jann illusion benefit mitigation?