109 BST looking for suggestions on leveling

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by hein, Jan 3, 2023.

1. strongbus Augur

Could do bst bard ranger. with 3 mercs. really easy to box. once you bring mob in you just need a assist key on both bard and ranger. have ranger just do autofire with bow and bard target with melody/auto attack going and then go back to bst. very little work to do on bard/ranger and the 3 mercs can be any combo you need tanks/heals/dps.
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Or, just do Overseer, and use your playtime for whatever is fun, and then making XP while doing that doesn't need to be a consideration.
  3. hein Augur

A lot of people had suggested doing Overseer, which I have begun to do. However, it's just sad, that one has to do a ridiculous mini game to get reasonable exp instead of just playing the game itself lol. It is what it is. Thank you for the suggestion.
    Dre. likes this.
  4. Alnitak Augur

And not just fun, but also very productive and rewarding activities.
    Say, doing CotF and onward progression. Overseer would trickle-in a level per week, meanwhile those Heroic AA's would keep accumulating. And at 109 TBM, EoK and RoS progression is still quite a challenge. It's a win-win-win: feeling good about completing progression , getting rewarded with AA's and Heroic AA's, and still leveling up by Overseer. And learning your classes as an extra bonus.
    From 109 to 120 in about 3 months with past progressions completed beats grinding 20K+ trash monsters to dust in some camp.
    Rijacki and Tatanka like this.
  5. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

A lot of people find progressing their character fun. Overseer is not a fun way to do things.

You’ve condemned them to playing solo and making very little progress on their character. The old content won’t be as easy as you expect, because they’re going to be missing appropriate level gear, unless they find charity or buy Kronos.
    Dre. likes this.
  6. hein Augur

Im looking at the RoS progression. The OT quest look fun because they are not a ton of running around. More like kill quest. I don't understand the reward tho for the Mercenary quest. Is it just an achievement or does it actually improve your Merc?
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

No it is not for your merc. Each expansion has Mercenary quests. If you look under your achievements you will see them listed as Mercenary quest. For example click ROS then click quests and there is the category for Mercenary of The Overthere or Mercenary of the Howling stones etc

The rewards are AA.

And your right, they are fun and much easier than other ach in expansions.!
  8. hein Augur

Could I do all or at least most of the RoS progression with my BST+Bard+ 2 mercs? I'm assuming I should just do my lesson of devoted for reg exp, Overseer, and then switch to AA for doing the progression? Is this a viable way of leveling up then? Thank you for explaining how the rewards work.
  9. Alnitak Augur

Overseer does not progress your character in any way. It provides level experience (as suggested)

And again, you are intentionally substituting leveling up with progression. Doing expansion PROGRESSION in previous expansions (as suggested) is not the same thing as leveling up the character. Stop playing with words and push your agenda of denigrading the current way of character development back to your prefered way of mindless, boring and pointless grinding of trash. Everybody already knows you are against questing in EverQuest, you are all for EverGrinding.

And regarding the gear - easily obtainable Conflagrant gear at level 106 (both characters are above that) is more than enough to do CotF, TDS, TBM, EoK and RoS progression. In fact, in-era progression was done in worse gear than that. By teh time those 5 expansions will be completed, the characters will be MUCH better with earned AA's and Heroic AA's and when they start working on ToV they will be enjoying it much more.

If they chose to just grind themselves into a higher levels they won't get any gear just the same, and they will have no Heroic AA's and no questing skills (learning multiple ways to do various quests first hard is very differet than kiilling thousands of the same trash).
    So, it is YOU who condemns inexperienced players into damnation of EverGrind, meanwhile others (including myself) suggest to enjoy EverQuesting.
    Rijacki likes this.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

At 109? Prob. Depends on how you play. Personally I would go back to when Heroic stats were started (COTF) and do all of that progression to make your characters stronger. But that is a long road and it seems you want to get to 120 soon so prob not a good suggestion.

The AA is the reward for each of the Mercenary quests. Those are 10 AA - you don't need to have your exp going to AA because you get them handed to you when you finish the 3 or 4 quests under "Mercenary":)

Leveling is always better than AA farming.

If your a paid account you should have Auto Grant on and that will take care of your AA for a while so you can focus on exp.

Do the 2 daily hot zones that Teek ports you to. A single Gribbles can be worth about 5% of level 109 with lesson burning. Check it before you burn lesson. You only get the exp at the end. Then have somewhere else in mind or another HA if you can do it fast enough to burn the rest. I have heard if you log out it pauses your Lesson so if that is true then you could log out and come back later and do another of the same HA
    Rijacki likes this.
  11. Alnitak Augur

RoS progression is designed for well-geared EoK characters. You can duo about 80% of that, but remaining 20% will be tough. The principal reward for doing old expansion progression is Heroic AA's rewards as well as some amount of regular AA's. Heroic AA's have the same effect regardless of level of expansion, in other words Heroic AA's earned in lvl 100 CotF expansion are as valuable as Heroic AA's earned in NoS. Basically, you need them all (eventually), so just start from easier start - do the CotF, you can win it easily and you'll learn first-hand what it takes to earn those Heroic AA's. Then Increase the difficulty - TDS, TBM, EoK, RoS. Again, all Heroic AA's earned are ranked the same, just get them all in any sequence you want.
    A bit of consideration - at 109 even CotF kills still bring some AA experience (not much, but it all adds up). At 120 almost nothing in CotF does. So, do those expansion now, you'll get better reward than doing those later (in terms of earned AA's).
    Meanwhile, Overseer will bring a level per week or so, while you'll be busy with expansion progressions. At 113 (when the warder upgrades) even RoS will become easy.
  12. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Who cares if it isn't fun? It takes 5 minutes.

Condemned! Wow, strong word, LOL. I've condemned nobody to nothing (you know what I mean).
    Everyone can do Overseer, those who solo, molo, box, PUG, raid, whatever. What you do with your EQ time (other than those 5 minutes a day) is immaterial.

And, yes, old content is just as easy as you'd expect. I've done exactly as Alnitak described in his post above, doing old quests, getting older hunters, getting Heroic AAs, and just whatever else I want to do, and still making ~10% of a level a day from Overseer. My favorite is when I want to work on tradeskills. I still gain XP even though I've stared at the TS UI for the play session. Not a bad deal.

And all done without charity or Kronos.
  13. Tucoh Augur

A good duo partner for BST is bard. Other good duo partners are mage and another bst, but bard will substantially improve your beastlord and warder in every way. You'll be fine with a bst/brd and don't realllllly need a third one, but adding a mage as a third character will provide a lot of DPS, utility from CotH, a third merc and a modest boost to your warder through pet gear. They are also fairly easy to box because they are stupid easy to play and extremely powerful right now.

You also don't need to do Overseer. It's a minigame that takes a few minutes and will help you level a bit faster. I generally don't bother with it.

Yes. Everything Alnitak told you in this thread is golden.
  14. Alnitak Augur

Lesson of the Devoted aplifies kill experience and SOME quest experience rewards. It does NOT aplify achievement rewards, Overseer rewards and Glyph rewards.
    Overall, Overseer does not need Lesson running, Progression Achievements do not need Lesson running, quests and tasks do not need Lesson running EXCEPT CotF tasks, which are boosted by Lesson.
    Specifically, there is Gribble quest giver NPC in Dead Hills. He gives 3 entry-level tasks. CotF tasks award the bulk of the experience at completion, meanwhile mob kills award miniscule experience.
    Here is a long-used trick to boost the reward:

Complete the first task from Gribble up-to the point of the last "hail". Start the Lesson of the Devoted and the do the last "hail" and get the boosted task reward on completion. As soon as you can leave the task and get the next one. Proceed on and finish it as soon as possible. Then do the third task.

Those missions are relatively easy and can be done under 15 minutes each. If so - you get a double experience reward for all 3 missions in a single Lesson use (30 min duration).

While in Dead Hill you may want to do a mission or two from Skulk Madaxe or Captain after Lesson expires. Those are more difficult missions, but those give higher experience reward. At 109 in about 1 hour in Dead Hills you can earn 15-20% of level experience. If done as a daily routine you'll gain a level per week.

Extra bonus - from Clayton Teek (Franklin's brother in PoK). He rotates 2 tasks daily as extra bonus. Sometimes it is a task in Dead Hills (from Skulk or Captain, never from Gribble). Get the assignment (lasts about 40 hours before expiration) and proceed with that task.
    Before the last "hail" at the end of teh task do the Lesson trick as with Gribble.
    And here is the Clayton Bonus surprise: task experience reward is doubled by Lesson and doubled again by Clayton. It's massive.

You can't control which task Clayton gives as a Bonus, check daily and use it opportunistically.
    Tatanka likes this.
  15. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Clayton will give a bonus task to HA throughout CotF in addition to the Dead Hills: Neriak 4th Gate, Bixie Warfront, Etherne East Karana, Argin-Hiz, etc. While you do them, also pick up the 4 points of light (the collection bits) that will appear mid-way.

Bonus tasks from Clayton can be done from level 75 onward with the HAs scaling down for characters less than the original level range for the zone. The XP rewards are a % of what you need to next level. I've been using them with a mid-80s boxed duo (bard + mage) for a few levels.

Note: the pathing for /follow, pets, and mercs in some of the Bixie Warfront and Argin-Hiz zones is absolutely ludicrous even with my settings configured for the suggested better pathing (I don't recall the settings at the moment). I use a single computer to box in probably the most lazy and casual way to box.
  16. Zarkdon Augur

What about those of us that don't hate this model?
    Rijacki and Tatanka like this.
  17. Velisaris_MS Augur

I think that's the root of the issue.

Daybreak decided out of the blue, without even giving players a head's up, that they only wanted players to play a certain way...their way: progression. They didn't care if some players were happy sitting in one spot and grinding xp...they only want people playing the game THEIR way. For the average player, you do progression or you get left behind, as far as leveling is concerned. Grinding xp (like we all did for 2 decades) is just no longer viable.

This could all go away if they just reduced the amount of xp needed per level, instead of making every level a hell level. The progression rewards are percentage based, as are the collection rewards. That means it doesn't matter if a level requires 1000 xp points to get through it or 1 million xp points...you're still going to get the same amount of xp for progression. Reducing the "size" of levels wouldn't matter one bit to people who enjoy doing progression...you'd level at exactly the same rate. But it would make EQ a little more enjoyable and rewarding for people who like to just sit in one spot and grind xp.
    Dre. likes this.
  18. Dre. Altoholic

I have no problem with questing grouping, or even raiding for levels.

I have a problem when it's the only practical way to level up, solo players are hosed if they play certain classes, or you're encouraged to play something other-than-your-character to level up.
  19. Strawberry Augur

Solo players especially got hosed in EQ. A druid or necro used to be able to kite a red or yellow con without fearing for their life.

How long does it take at lvl 95+ mob to take out a group geared druid or necro nowadays when they get hit, 0.1 seconds?

People do overseer because the actual EQ content is no longer fun, no longer safe, no longer accessible and too slow to progress through.

When the recommendation is to just not play the game and do overseer instead, there's a problem with EQ. When group zones are deserted 2 days after an expansion there's a problem with EQ. When people asking how to level are told to load up on boxed accounts, there's a problem with EQ.

Imagine a F2P with a 2000 AA cap trying to do lvl 95+ content. Why does F2P even exist if you nerf these accounts to the ground.

I can run through any lvl 90-110 zone, and there is literally no one there, why was this content made?

EQ is badly managed. All the focus went to raiding and developers realised their zones are deserted. So instead of fixing this, they introduced overseer to get some quick cash out of people before they can shut the deserted zones down.
  20. menown Augur

To play the game on a trial basis. Then to decide if you want to continue playing by paying a subscription or go to some other game.
    Tarvas and Rijacki like this.