ToL Raiding Ranger guide

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Orienn, Dec 29, 2022.

1. Orienn TreeHugger

I know ToL is over, but I made this guide a while back was updated from one I made back in 2017. I keep getting asked about it so I decided to post it on here since I see people asking burn questions.

Buffs (Self):
    Wildstalker's Unity (Azia)
    Arbor Stalker's Enrichment

Clicky buff's:
    Razor's Edge
    Jann's Veil
    Personal Hemic Source
    Mount buffs

Other clickies:
    Terror's Juju (Reverse DS 12 min duration / 3min cd)
    Lingering Essence of Cazic-Thule (10 sec mez/stun instant fade - 1:40 cd, you can click the stun off immediately)
    Totem of the Wurines (DA - 2 sec cast / 8 hour cd)
    Cursed Rage Channeler (DA - 2 sec cast / 8 hour cd)
    Feral Guardian Channeler (DA - 2 sec cast / 8 hour cd)
    Bladewhisper Chain Vest of Journeys (Chest DD - 1 min duration / 5min cd, on separate cd than main chest)
    Bifold Focus of the Evil Eye (Twincast 1 spell - 30 sec duration / 5 min cd)
    Shield of Immaculate Light (35 disease counter cure - instant / 30 sec cd)
    Venenium (Poison cure - instant / 30 cd)
    Circle of Power 4
    Rune of Talon (summons ranger pet to shoot for a short time)
    *Spirit Drinker's Coating (Lifetap buff - 3min duration / 10 min cd)
    Feather of Unity
    Horn of Unity
    Rod of Dark Rites
    Geomantra clicky
    Bottled Essence of Vox (20k dd on up to 4 targets - 1sec cast / 5min cd)
    *Valia's Unyielding Bravery (Absorbs 100% of incoming damage for up to 8 hits - Instant cast / 30min cd)

Consumables:
    Restless Focus
    Crystal Mana Tonic
    Crusader's Tonic
    Planar Overdoes (FD pots 1 sec cast/3min cd)

Here is the main spell lineup I use, all rank 3's but use the best you have.

1. Claimed Shots
    2. Bloodbeetle Swarm
    3. Composite Fusillade
    4. Lunarflare Boon
    5. Desperate Geyser
    6. Shout of the Dusksage Stalker
    7. Focused Whirlwind of Arrows
    8. Arbor Stalker's Enrichment
    9. Nocturnal Boon
    10. Arbor Stalker's Coallition
    11. Summer's Torrent
    12. Darkflow Spring
    13. Lunarflare Ash

I bound spells 1, 4, 7, and 11 so you can continuously spam those spells off cooldown and it reduces the number of spells you have to click. I manage the other spells in between while using a kick hotkey.

Claimed shots > Lunarflare Boon > (Twincast clicky if able) > Bloodbeetle Swarm > Composite > Focused Arrows > Summers. Always try to get the boon buff before I do Composite, and always twincast the dot every time cds allow.

Kick spam key
    /disc jolting roundhouse kicks
    /disc focused tempest of blades
    /stand

You want to use jolting kicks as much as possible so you are procing Outrider's Synergy for your group. I try to cast it as much as possible. There is a max melee sweet spot where you can kick and shoot, that's where I am all the time unless mechanics stop me from doing it. I made a gina trigger that tells me if I'm too close cause in the heat of the raid and trying to proc those kicks for the group sometimes you end up too close and not know till it's too late.

Main Burn:
    Pureshot
    Group Guardian of the Forest
    Reflexive Rimespurs (Most of the time I save this for healing intense spots, or say the healer goes down)
    Pack Hunt + Rune of Talon
    Cheetah
    Imbued Ferocity
    Big chest click
    Spire (Sometimes I save this if I know I'm going to have to use another cd pretty soon after the main burn, or we have multiple waves throughout the event)
    Forceful Rejuvenation **
    Mythic Arcane Glyph
    Auspice

You really want to time up Cheetah with QT, I normally pop it when the bards pop that, unless I need to save the burn for a specific % since its like a 20 min cd and QT is only 10. Most of these events though I burn it all in the beginning, and they're usually refreshing later in the event. In a perfect scenario you have all those burns going you want to cast Claimed > Dot > Boon > Composite > Focused > Summers and then use Forceful Rejuvenation and repeat all of those spells again. I cast Ash frequently too during the event, sometimes casting Nocturnal Boon as well for the buff if it's off cd.

You also want to get Coalition in eventually when playing with people enough you kind of get a rotation of when/who is going to cast it and when you should cast it. It's good to have triggers for them to tell you when someone has theirs on the target with a duration. I have gina triggers for it if anyone wants them let me know. I also always use the Arcane Glyph for the burns, some events I'll even use 2 depends how they go and how tapped out on mana I am.

When Group wolf fades I run the single GoF and I always try to line that up with Outrider's Accuracy and Bladewhisper chest clicky together. And then just keep clicking the burns as they refresh. I haven't been meleeing much at all unless los forces me too, use Empowered Blades in those instances. In the instances where you blow through all your mana and you want to use staunch for a second wind, should definitely use it if Cheetah is refreshing soon. I use Crusader's Tonics on cd they give 8-10k hp/4-6k mana/2500-4500end on a 2min cd. It's not much but every little bit helps, shamans can make them.

I used to put the different burns into 2 hotkeys and use them, but sometimes it seems like server lag or what not things wouldn't fire properly. And sometimes its good to save different abilities for later in the event. So now I just click all burns I'm using so I know for sure they're being clicked. But you do what's best for you, this is what works for me.

Defensives:
    Weaponshield
    Protection of the Spiritwolf
    Bulwark of the Brownies
    Outrider's Evasion
    Dragon Glyph
    Armor of Experience

If you have further questions, you can contact me at Orienn#3483.
    Andarriel likes this.
  2. Szilent Augur

Boon's buff is not a thing worth pursuing. It adds 6251 to the damage to two subsequent fire nukes, a total of 12502. An additional Summer's nuke would (besides being 16044 base fire nuke compared to 15687 on Boon) include a 14308 *base* damage ice nuke, which has average hit approaching 200k in raids.

You're missing out on ~150k damage every time you cast Boon
    TsiawdMS likes this.
  3. Szilent Augur

Razor's Edge doesn't increase damage if you also have Jann's Veil on

You ought to check out how much damage Major Lightning Call Effect (CoA BP) is actually adding. It's probably not worth clicking in combat. Pre-buff, if you're tryharding. Maybe.

Bottled Essence of Vex is in the same boat; very likely not worth clicking in combat. But without the ability to pre-buff it's… worse. Check out your own logs for how much damage it deals, but as an item clicker it's not critting or anything, sooo.
  4. Szilent Augur

This is not right.
    if you're doing a Main Burn, then you should have the highest hit mod on:

Guardian of the Forest 96%
    >
    Outrider's Accuracy 82%
    >
    Group Guardian of the Forest 50%

those mods are best-one-works, so unless you have some odd timing scheme they shouldn't be stacked
    Sancus likes this.
  5. Orienn TreeHugger

I do group first for the group, then when that's done do single. Guess I can just not do Outriders Accuracy at the same time and put it after my single fades. I don't use the bottled essence much anymore I probably should just take it off that list.
  6. Szilent Augur

thing is that when you're burning, they're burning, too:

BER Reckless Abandon VIII 3: Increase Hit Damage by 79% (v185)
    MNK Infusion of Thunder VIII 8: Increase Hit Damage by 120% (v185)
    ROG Rogue's Fury XXIX 2: Increase Hit Damage by 320% (v185)
    BST Bestial Alignment XV 3: Increase Hit Damage by 310% (v185)

even the shaman, if they're really going for it (they should. totally should. but it's sadly rare):
    SHM Rabid Bear XIII 11: Increase Hit Damage by 425% (v185)

so the only part of a typical raid group that benefits is the bard - if their Intensity isn't up for 55% mod - by the margin of your 50% over their own 33% from Jonthan.

The group might benefit! - if you did it later, after their own burns have worn off. But they sure don't right there on the drop.
    TsiawdMS and Sancus like this.
  7. tsiawdroi TittyGOAT

Mythic arcane glyph is questionable as well. Better off popping power glyph after shaman epic fades. I forget what the average mana preservation was but it was pretty minimal after empowered banner.

Other side tip: try to prioritize coalition casts for gift of mana during scf since it seems mana preservation is what you are after
  8. Orienn TreeHugger

I parse better using Arcane over Power so that's what I do.
  9. tsiawdroi TittyGOAT

I suppose if events take super long there might be some benefit to using it. I usually have the benefit as a ranger that events end quicker in roi (in addition to a qp per event and I don't really ever long stretch of time being oom). With that said, if using it you should click after scf as I don't believe it benefits while scf is running.
    Orienn likes this.
  10. Szilent Augur

that's correct
  11. Zunar Augur

Actually I think even bards have a 60% self hit mod.
    I think it was later ranks of Dance of blades or some such.
    Working from memory is hard since I haven't played my bard for some time now.
  12. Szilent Augur

that's a SPA459 mod, pretty rare! it's a copy of SPA185 otherwise only seen on Fierce Eye and tank Weapon Proficiency buffs. It is also best-one-works, but separately from SPA185 effects.
  13. Belexes ForumQuester

There are better ways to burn with a ranger.

Fintank has some good info and you can find it using Google.

Most rangers use something very similar to what he has put together to maximize burn dps.
  14. Orienn TreeHugger

I stopped using boon for a few events and did worse than I normally do, so I went back to just doing what I do.
  15. Cadira Augur

Did you discern with math and science that it was in fact the lack of boon usage that caused your weaker performance? Or just a feeling?
  16. Orienn TreeHugger

Just the feels
    Szilent likes this.
  17. Lluianae Elder

Feelycraft is never a substitute for proper theorycraft. Don't let performance variance take you to places worse off.
  18. Szilent Augur

disagree. Feelycraft (great word) is 100% legit as long as it's not calling itself something else.
    Orienn likes this.
  19. Lluianae Elder

The number of times where people I've seen pass ideas as definitive and the best by feel alone, they can allow for discourse on new ideas, but when there are better, tried, tested and verified methods (both in a model and in practice) out there has been too many in the past two decades, especially in XIV, so I can't in good conscience ever agree with it being the correct call to settle on, as such, it's a bit disingenuous to pass off something as a guide for raiders when it's based on feel. Suggestions and brainstorming otoh, it's how new ground can be made.
  20. Razorfall Augur

Best ranger guide here:

1.) Target mob
    2.) /autofire on
    3.) Take a nap