Start fresh as a Necro?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by hein, Jan 4, 2023.

1. hein Augur

So after going back and forth and have many conversations the last couples days about my Bard+BST box, I'm considering starting fresh with a Necro. I just have a few questions.

Would you PL the Necro to 85, so it could then group with either my 110 druid or 108 Bard?

Would you just create a different box and just level them together, such as a Necro + Mage combo? (I would want to mostly focus on Necro, with an easy box that doesn't need much attention).

What would be your strategy 1-100? I'm guessing 100 is when I would start doing progression based on my last forum post with CoTF.

I'm assuming Necro, like the mage and beastlord can pet tank stuff, but with higher dps than I'm getting out of the BST?

thanks again for all the help with making these decisions. Trying to go the right route as a casual player.
  2. Strawberry Augur

I kind of question the idea to try to keep up whith the lvl 120 joneses as a casual player. No one knows how much longer this game will be around either.

There are very few casual players who actually still play at lvl 120. Casual players I know just play a character at a certain level they find enjoyable.

One of the best expansions EQ has it TSS, which goes all the way from lvl 1 to lvl 75. There's a ton of fun to be had by just using your high lvl characters to give your lvl 1 the best gear and best buffs available. Just having fun killing mobs, without the stress to box characters.

If you really want to make it to lvl 120+, necro as a boxed character isn't a great choice. Necros are quite hard to PL effectively, they are quite intense to box. Casters like necro also benefit less from bards than melee does.
  3. hein Augur

I've thought about doing that multiple time as well. Playing a Necro and starting by just going all the way through TSS and then at 95 I could probably move to CoTF. Maybe instead of Bard, just use the druid as a pocket option to lightly assist the Necro's journey and help Necro catch up from that 95-110 area? I like the idea of mainly focusing on 1 character without the NEED to box. I don't mind the option, but don't want to have to do it. I also have an 85 Cleric on that same account with druid with epics, that I've always wished had a purpose. Maybe could use her as well to assist Necro's journey
  4. Strawberry Augur

The easiest way to PL a character is really just having characters at specific levels. A lvl 45 to PL a lvl 30. A lvl 75 to PL a lvl 50, etc.

Then again, if the goal is just to get a lvl 120 character as fast as possible, a heroic character is the shorcut most would take. If you're going to spend a lot of money on two or three boxed accounts with subscriptions, you might as well just buy a 100 heroic character.
    Ozon likes this.
  5. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Necros are one of the highest difficulty classes to learn as they have a pretty full quiver of potential tools. Well played necros are usually played by people who prefer them as their main character and have played them from level 1. Not saying this is 100% but a necro isn't like a druid or other more simple classes...this class can be very powerful when well played but incredibly frustrating with frequent deaths without a good understanding of what necros can and can't do which has to be learned by time playing. Also the low level necro game teaches many tools that round out the player abilities in later levels.
  6. Strawberry Augur

Yep, necros are quite intense, especially if you would box them.

The easiest dual box would be something like melee+bard.

Bards are incredibly easy to play, you can choose to just set them at a static camp and /melody 1 2 3 4, and you'll have great DPS for your melee and melee mercenary without ever having to do anything. Or just have the bard follow your main character and melody. You can get 90% of a bard's benefits with basically 0 to no attention.

If you give the bard a healer merc, you basically are allowed unlimited mess ups too. Since bards can just fade, clearing aggro, and rez your other character with the merc.

Casters are quite a bit more intense to box than melee imo. Every melee class is just much easier to box, especially now with /autoskill. Bards also don't start adding much DPS to casters until much later in the game, and now that you can buy crack potions, the increased mana regeneration is not that good as it used to be.
  7. Gialana Augur

You would only need to get the necro to level 78 to group with the 108 bard or level 80 to group with the 110 druid. Unfortunately, I don't have more to add regarding your other questions.
  8. Wulfhere Augur

Many years ago, before TLP, I started a fresh necro to learn the class and play from Paineel. No gear or platinum given, doing home city armor/weapon tasks (bloodied color robe!). The class is very powerful, versatile, and fun to play. At level 85 their spell sets have already gotten very complex with burns, DPS, debuffs, CC, and different resist checks. Actually leveling from 1 to 70-75 will give you a good feel for all that heroic 85/100 power at your fingertips.
    Samanagain likes this.
  9. Waitwhat Elder

I started a nec with the aim of maining it. My main reasons were ability to play alone and solo/molo, and still being able to kill something, either with pet tank or with dot rot. Also Feign Death for pulling and doing quick afks without logging out. Loving it so far :)
  10. Tucoh Augur

nec + 1 of bst, mag or brd is a fine box. With difficulty being high, med and low for the three options. My choice would be a brd for ease of use and versatility.

Necros are more independent and don't need bards as much as BST/MAG, but they still gain massive benefit from them because their Aria song with SPA124 improves DoTs more than DDs due to being a precrit bonus instead of postcrit

Aria of Pli Xin Liako
    1: Increase Spell Damage by 47% (v124, Before DoT Crit, After Nuke Crit)
    https://www.raidloot.com/spells?name=aria of&effect=&class=Bard&level=&view=Tiers

This, in addition to tracking, double invis, Quick Time, Fierce Eye, epic, pet tanking buffs and their own DPS make them a decent pair with necros. Mage is fine too and the amount of time you need to switch to the mage to keep your spells going isn't that much. Mages are really strong right now.

That being said, a nec/brd box won't be that different from your bst/brd box and depending on why you're looking to switch you may want to consider something a little different and drive your box team with a plate tank. I'd recommend a Shadowknight. It'll require more work because instead of your tanking gear being determined entirely by your pet earring it'll be determined by your full set of gear. But it'd be a different experience relative to your bst/brd box.

To answer your questions, I'd get a level 100 heroic whatever you chose and pair it with the bard and kill whatever content you can.
    code-zero likes this.
  11. Vitiated New Member

12. Vitiated New Member

I run a necro with a mage box and it's an incredibly powerful duo. The mage pet is MT and I use the necro assassin pet. Once the mage gets COTH you can pull just about anything with the necro. Whichever way you go I'm sure you will get tons of enjoyment out of playig a necro.
  13. hein Augur

So i could work one up pretty quickly I think. I have a 97 Sk and a 110 BST on a main account. How would you handled the Necro through doing levels 1-70? Once I can group with SK, where should I go to swarm and get Necro to 80? Once 80, thats easy, I can just do FM with BST who can pretty well destory that zone now. Long term I would not want to box. I would just molo the Necro I've seen necro pets tanking FM, and even ME. I would think at 110 if I have EM 27, Necro should be able to molo, with pet as tank, things like ToV progression, GMM missions, FM just like my BST?
  14. Laronk Augur

So I'd do it with the SK tanking and using DS. Necromancers don't get a damaging pbae until level 20 but until then you can just cast disease cloud on each badguy after the SK gathers them up.
    I do crescent reach then the bees in blightfire moors then I go to stone hive hang out there then you can go to the deep that will get you to 60, at 60 I think you can zone into pofire then you just need to pl the necro to level 67 then he can straight group with the SK and the SK can get him to level 80 pretty easily hunting somewhere like fort mech.
  15. Dre. Altoholic

JTank to 40-50
    Solo to 80
    AFK with Druid till 90
    Group with 120s
    Rizzin likes this.
  16. Spacemonkey555 Augur

Necros and necro pets benefit enormously from a bard in the group, the pet gets huge melee benefit and the dots get 47%. I find my necro easy to box with 3 hotkeys, and one audio trigger. That's using group mana spell every mob it's up for sustaining group mana, which most necros probably frown on because it's time spent not upping dps. :rolleyes:

Key point tho, giving a necro 47% more dps is better than giving a melee 60% more dps (or whatever, not sure it's actually that high). Even after the nerf. I've got a 120 necro and I was disappointed with the recent nerf, not because it wasn't justified, but because they waited til after preorders which is a dirty trick imo.

This is very wrong from my pov, casters don't care nearly as much about positioning as melee do. My main team has a bard and sk meleeing, it's very doable but producing good numbers and dps takes more effort and positioning than my caster team does. Caster group is also more forgiving, as pets are runed up and imo have way more hp/survivability than undergeared melee projects, and if you lose a pet its just a minor irritation to replace/rebuff/regear compared to rez and rebuff of a melee, and you lose a lower percentage of your group dps pet vs melee so easier to keep going instead of wiping.

Agree, all 3 pet classes are good at the moment, and they all go well together and/or with a bard.
  17. Rizzin Elder

This is what I'd do... though I would probably Jtank it until 60 to 65. Root rot until you can group with your current team.
    Dre. likes this.
  18. hein Augur

I'm still considering this, however the Necro would be on my same account as my bard and my druid. So I would need to J5 tank merc solo until I could group with my SK who is level 97. I think someone said my necro would need to be level 67. So I would need to figure out the fastest way to handle those 60-67 levels. Then the 97 SK could quickly get me within grouping range of my 110 BST, which I understand would be level 80? That 67-80 is what I'm dreading. I believe someone suggested i swarm with SK at Fort Mech for that? Now, I realize that my 110 BST, who has good gear, EM 27 or 28 can do all the content molo that a Necro could do, but I lack a feeling of connection to the character and I think its because it was an 85 boost character. I'm hoping soloing a Necro to 67, will give me a connection the character, and I can play it as a main/molo style character and once 110, starting doing progression content without the need to box.

Thoughts....?
  19. hein Augur

My other option is to make the Necro on the BST account, which would free up a 108 Bard or 110 Druid or 85 Cleric on that second account to help Necro level. This would probably make the first 80 levels easier, but then from there to 110 would be more difficult, since I wouldn't have the BST to just mass kill in FM to level Necro from 80-105 or so. I would prefer to have Necro able to group with Bard or Druid when I need too, but not sure how to handle those levels 80-105. Really 67-105.