Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fanra, Jan 1, 2023.

1. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

If you play EQ and do quests, you will find your bag fills up with leftover items that you got from the quest but are now just taking up bag space.
    1. Can you delete them now that the quest is done?
    2. Why did every member of the group quest get an item when only one is needed?
    As for number one, in the past I've requested that all quest items say in the description, "This item is used in the Plane of Knowledge quest, "Fanra Takes a Holiday", and may be safely deleted upon completing the quest".

As for number two, I gather the reason for every member of the group quest getting an item where only one is needed is in case the sole character with the item goes link dead or has to leave the quest. The fix for this is just to have the NPC that gave out the item give it out to any member of the quest upon request.

So if Fanra has the "Letter of FedEx delivery" given by NPC Heroes Deliver My Mail, then if Fanra loses their internet connection, the group can just go hail Heroes Deliver My Mail and Heroes says, "Have you delivered my mail or did someone [lose] it?".

Saying "lose" or "lost" to them then has them say, "Just what I expected from you heroes, you save towns but don't care about my package. Fine, here is another one, don't lose it this time, it is very inconvenient for me to have to write another one". And they give another Letter to that character.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
    Duder, Syylke_EMarr, Jyve and 8 others like this.
  2. Velisaris_MS Augur

Honestly, from the thread title, I figured you were talking about the group task in Shadeweaver's. :D

Not every group member needs those items, and at the very least, the items need the "temporary" tag. Even just adding a lore tag to them would be helpful.
    Fenthen likes this.
  3. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I am of the opinion that if the item isn't intended to be turned in and cannot be otherwise used in game (such as being sold, tributed, placed in housing, or TS'd) then we shouldn't be given an item or the quest should require that the item be turned in at some point. They can do random updates to tasks after all.
    Fanra likes this.
  4. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I would love to have a personal note tab on every item that gets blanked if the item is traded (so it couldn't be abused) but would give me a place to pop in a note about an item (i.e. don't delete, use this later, or loaned from someone, etc.)

I would also love to simply have the quest listed on the Lore tag, no matter how the item is obtained. I can look at quest name compare it to my current quests and ditch it or keep it vs having to go to an external page, type in the item, find the quest, look in my current quests, and then ditch or keep.

I would also love to have tradeskill items have lore info indicating their use in recipes of which expansion.

It might be a lot easier to add a note tab considering how many items are already in game and adding a global thingy might be easier than having to go to each item. A personal note tab would solve my other two because I could add that info (and not have to look it up every 6 months). Blanking the tab on trade wouldn't help for items shared on an account, but it would avoid any need to monitor what someone writes in to the note.
    Fanra likes this.
  5. Windance Augur

I'd rather them move to a quest design that didn't use 'drops' / 'combines'.

I hate trying to find items in my inventory. As I get older it gets harder to do inventory micro management. We have too many 'things'. TS components, collects, quest items, clickies, food , drink, augment distillers, etc.

When you are constantly having to search for items using /finditem because your bags are full of 'stuff' there is a fundamental design issue that has gotten out of hand.
    Yinla and Rijacki like this.
  6. Sissruukk Rogue One

Not sure a temporary tag would be good. Your electricity flickers enough to kick your computer off, and you have to log back in after booting up. It is time to go pick up your kid from some event, and you don't like staying logged in while not at the keyboard. Other scenarios.

But, there should be something, especially in group quests where everyone receives the item that tells you that you don't need it anymore if someone did turn in the quest. Also, thinks like working on the RZ earring, I'd save everything from each part of the quest just to make sure I didn't need it for the steps following, even though the writeups were on par and showed I didn't. But, hey, I didn't want to screw that one up.
    CatsPaws and Fanra like this.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Temporary tags are bad. Look at the Postmaster's challenge - you lose all mail if log out or disconnected. You can't just restart that one and do it again cause they changed it. They were abusing it on TLP and doing some of the lower delivery quests to build up gold so they made it so it cannot be repeated.

Some quests need collects like in Crypt of Sul or the Drogan Toes one and others so you can save those for the next time you do the quest.

And some of us might use the quest item's lore tag and hang onto it just to know we have already done the quest. Or hang it in our house like an award of stuff we have done. And those shovels are cool to use in housing.

And then we come up to the "prelootable" items that we might need to hang onto for a long time before we are ready or of a level to do that quest.

Its not that hard when you find an item your not sure about to just google it real fast.

As for there being too many items on our characters...remember when we all whined and begged for bigger bags? And are still doing it. Can't have it both ways.

I would prefer they make all quest items saleable to the NPC like in the Dead Hills HA items.

While the wordage "may be safely deleted upon completing the quest" is cute, do you really trust them that much;) that they won't change it it the future to where it will be needed for something .... like Artesian Charm made all those old things in demand.
  8. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

This is another fun thing when the items aren't pre-lootable.

NPC Bob: "I need you to collect loot five thingamabobs."
    Character Alice: "Ah, I happen to have them right in my bag, here you go."
    NPC Bob: "No, I need you to go get them."
    Character Alice: "Yes, here they are."
    NPC Bob: "I need you to collect loot five thingamabobs."
    Character Alice: "Sigh, fine, I'll go get five more, destroy them, and then give you these five that I already have...":rolleyes:
    NPC Bob: "As long as you go get five now, off corpses, I don't care which ones you give me."
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Ah but Bob just said "collect" so he will take them. Its when Bob says "Loot" that we have to go get them or "loot" them. Or briefly hand them to your merc and back. ;)
    Fanra likes this.
  10. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

If only they were consistent with the words used...
    Loup Garou likes this.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

If they can't do that I'd prefer having quest items on my curser rather than having to go searching for them, that way I can put them where I want them not at my first available slot.

We have had a few different ways of doing quests items over the years, virtual quest items, items that vanish once you hail someone.

I dislike having temporary items as sometimes things happen and I have to log before I can finish a quest.
  12. Fenthen aka Rath

Hundreds dropping with people not even having the quests that need them. Seemed like a bad decision decision.

In fact, Shadeweavers is terrible overall, with placeholder hitpoint levels, ultra-rarity of some of the nameds, and so on.
    Sissruukk likes this.
  13. Sissruukk Rogue One

One of the quests I did in Shar Vahl (the one where you have to use the item on the feral kitty people) reset when I used stealthy getaway because I was too lazy to run up the wall. Not sure if this was fixed or not because I never went back to reproduce it to report it as a bug.
  14. Angahran Augur

If you have them in your bag then obviously you looted them at some point.
  15. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Yes but not when you had that quest where "loot" is a step required. Where as collect counts any time. Never figured out why there is a difference. Perhaps the devs just wanted to throw us a curve
  16. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

But sadly, the terms are not used consistently all the time. I have encountered quests with "collect" and need to actually loot the item after getting the quest. They might have gotten more consistent in quests added in the more recent expansions/years.
    Warpeace, Nennius and Syylke_EMarr like this.