Calendar challanged? :)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Herf, Dec 27, 2022.

1. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

No, AM is the acronym of Ante-Meridiem means before noon, and PM is the acronym of Post-Meridiem which means after noon. As such Midnight is before noon, so it gets the AM designation. Similarly, the noon hour of 12:00:00.1-12:59:59 all take place after noon and thus is given the PM designation.
  2. Stymie Pendragon

I've always wondered why they don't change the times to something obvious like 1:00AM PST Monday, whatever date. I can't count how many times this issue has been brought up over the decades that I've been participating here. The solution seems so obvious to me.
  3. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I was not talking about the meaning of the abbreviations but the way most humans associate them. AM is associated with 'morning in the minds of most (which matches to before noon) and PM to be evening/night (which does match to after noon). It has nothing to do with most humans being logical or even that most would know the meaning of the abbrev. they're used to using. As many who confuse midnight for pm also confuse noon for am and it has nothing to do with the meanings of the abbrev.s and doesn't indicate any lack of education or intelligence.

Some of us will also say "good morning" at 3pm not out of not knowing it's afternoon, just from the brain not being fully awake/engaged with the "first" encounter of the day. (I'm an introvert who is semi-reclusive these days and, now matter that I have been up for hours, I often don't encounter people until mid afternoon when I am absorbed in something else so my brain needs to catch up on human pleasantries and blurts the first one in the list.)
  4. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

No matter what time they used, there would be someone to complain.
    Herf likes this.
  5. Act of Valor The Newest Member

There doesn't need to be a solution because there isn't a problem.
    Arcolin likes this.