What are the hardest raid encounters in EQ?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by ISmellLikeInnySwamp, Dec 30, 2022.

1. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

Top 10:

Expansion - Raid Boss Name - Brief Explanation
    minimind likes this.
  2. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Pre-nerf version or current version, big difference.

Not counting actual bugged/broken things, pre-nerf number 1 is Mearatas in TBL. Not even a close second on the board.

Why? Because it required every single player to play at top form. Took 43 days for the 2nd guild to beat it after we finished it. Looks like only 21 guilds ever actually beat it even after multiple nerfs too. 38 guilds beat the final event in the next expansion.
  3. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

Would Mearatas still be hard on a TLP in era?

I'm trying to figure out when Everquest becomes challenging on TLPs. How many expansions do I need to progress through until players have to pay full attention to their characters? I feel like a lot of players are watching Netflix while they occasionally click on a button here and there. I'm starting to wonder if I should just skip ahead to live instead of playing TLPs.
  4. Wulfhere Augur

SoV - The Sleeper - unbeatable yet beaten on Rallos Zek. Legendary.
  5. Hdizzle Augur

I'm not going to use the word "Hard". I literally saw people need gina triggers to get through Vox on Mangler (Lol). To those folks, Vox is "hard". I'll use the word interesting. If you want more interesting raid content I would recommend you play live.

Every raid encounter on a TLP is known. If you have a rockin' guild and you want to see new content while its relevant and you can make it to like UF/HoT/RoF, those are interesting expansions IMO. Lots of people were excited to do Solteris on mangler /shrug.
  6. Xeris Augur

If you want(ed) challenge, you should have played on Vaniki. I have not played past LDON until Vaniki, so I can't really comment on stuff like what OOW is like at lvl 70, but some of the encounters were quite challenging on Vaniki to do 10 lvls down.

As compared with classic thru POP, some of the OOW raids actually had some unique and interesting mechanics, having to respond to triggers and do things actively during raids. I expect that gear lvl on a normal TLP would PROBABLY trivialize that content? I am by no means an expert. Yar Lir in DON was super hard at lvl 60. We managed to take it down near the end of the lvl 60 period. Vish we were not able to get in era, but we got him right after 65 unlocked.

Not sure if that answers the question, but at least in my experience some of the OOW and DON raid mobs were fairly challenging, at least in the sense that they required people to be actively on their characters and paying attention, and not like looking at your screen every 10 seconds to click 1 button.
  7. Kakashi77 Elder

Top 8 for me:

1. TBL - Mearatas - Haven't gone through it yet (TBL opens next month) but with everything I've read about it definitely the biggest challenge for any TLP guild to clear especially in era.

2. VoA - Unearthing Alra - Min requirement for certain classes to make this raid beatable (and hoping everyone shows up) is a bad combination. Fun raid, but can be tough for many guilss to crack first time.

3. CoTF - Zek Brothers - Add waves that require bane spells to be killed quickly, offtanking huge AE bosses coupled with a 20 min enrage timer. Good times

4. RoS - Drusella's Vault - I would also add atrebe's vault from EoK but out of these two this one is rough until you get used to it as well.

5. UF - Cunning plan, Trial of Creation, etc - Just a tough expansion overall with many unforgiving raids to beat in era. Get your glyphs rdy.

6. VoA - The triune god - Not hard but long drawn out and can be frustrating to farm.

7. TDS - Principal Indagatrix Lucia - Good strat makes this raid easy-ish but the need for moving around and avoiding AEs while managing mobs is not a box friendly event.

8. TBM - Damsel of Decay - Not hard per se but the longer you draw it out the harder you are able to win. Avoid tentacles and burn hard while avoiding bokons (save some goos for the burn)
    Wyre Wintermute, Genoane and Skuz like this.
  8. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

A guild on Yelinak died to Vox twice. :D Hopefully, Yelinak's relaxed truebox ruleset, which is set to launch in 2023, will help retain players post GoD. Thanks for answer. I'd be happy to have interesting encounters versus the current encounters.
  9. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

Your answer definitely helped me. Which classes changed the most in terms of playstyle post OOW?
  10. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

Big thanks. I've googled all of these raid bosses.

Are you happy that you stuck with Coirnav? I might have one more TLP recycle in me if I choose a lesser played class like a druid or paladin; otherwise, I need to stick it out with a live server or go the distance with Yelinak/next year's TLP.
  11. Kakashi77 Elder

Yeah I'm glad we made it this far. Getting to live on a TLP is a great goal and something very few get to experience. If you have the chance to do so with a guild/server you enjoy it's definitely worthwhile.
  12. Ishbu Augur

If you are enjoying the raid mechanics that crop up in OOW and DoN, then I strongly suggest you stick with the server as it gets significantly better as time goes on.
  13. Roxas MM Augur

raids on TLPs become harder in the later stages, not so much because of the fights, but you need to have a certain number of several classes in order to beat raids ( needing 8 tanks when you only have 1 sk,3 pallies and 3 warriors left in ToV kinda sucked ).
    it really helps if you have a core of excellent players though, i remember doing Vyskudra with 28 people on phinny and beating it ( go Darkwind X ) but also later on, when we had merged with RG3 and beat expansions with 40ish people and numbers slowly going down we had some epic fights and beat everything up until TBL. there we got served with raids that were just unbeatable with the numbers we had left, sadly. But damn, it was a rush up until we finally broke in ToV.

if you can find a guild that can stand all the expansions, i highly recommend it, it was by far the best EQ experience my wife and i had.
    make sure though that your guild functions as a team in every expansion with stuff like keying and getting gear to the right people, you can't have too many selfish people in your group that just box their own and leave the rest to find out on their own. At the start of a new expansion, we had groups to take on parts of flagging and then got EVERYONE through each and every task if needed so we were able to keep going as soon as possible.

on classes there, we were low in tanks, OGC was low on healers, so that's where the key classes are for keeping the raids going. Other then that, follow those emotes, key to any fight, emotes emotes emotes.
    Kakashi77 likes this.
  14. Xeris Augur

Honestly I can't really say, because Vaniki is still lvl 65, so in terms of spells and abilities and stuff, it's the same as what I'm used to. That's been the challenge, trying to do encounters designed for people with better spells and better gear. We beat Stitch without corruption cures and nobody said that could be done.

The one thing I'll say is that Necros started to get REAL GOOD and were pretty top tier DPS b/c epic 2 and dot crits, even at 65. That's def not something I was used to coming from Agnarr where Necros are dumpster tier DPS.
  15. ForeverCold New Member

the anquish trials to get the flag was a pain. i was in the best guild on Maelin staphire back in the days and we were never been able to finish them. Guild disbanded and moved to WoW
  16. Xeris Augur

Unfortunately our guild just died and there's only 1 guild left that's even trying to do in era content. I wasn't really enjoying the TSS lvl 75 stuff. I liked the lvl 70 content though. Biggest issue with staying on Vaniki is it requires way too much time invested to stay current. I sadly don't have time to do much besides log on for raids and you can't keep up with Vaniki's pace that way.
  17. MischiefTLP Augur

1. Vanilla - Bazzt Zzzt - MotM and Level 50 Cap, by far the hardest fight in the trilogy
    2. Velious - Lendiniara the Keeper - by far the longest fight in the trilogy

Other than that it's pretty straight forward until PoR, pretty much the only way one person can wipe a pre-PoR raid is summon a lot of swarm pets on an event that spawns adds on death. Starting in PoR it's "hard" in that one person watching Netflix gets an emote and the entire raid is DA'ed or silenced. These raids periodically appear going forward and mechanics generally get more complicated but most events that means a few people have to know the event while a bunch of people can just assist the MA, heal the tank or hit aggro buttons while some people do specific things on a fight like TSS - Beltron.

UF - Trial of Creation - https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=5081

Insane complexity but a bunch of the raid can be Netflix watchers, if you don't have an active role beyond tanking, healing or damage it will still seem pretty easy. Ultimately raids being "hard" is generally a sign that you have low raid turnout

http://elitegamerslounge.com/home/progress/index.php?expansion=HoTT1

Can click on server leader boards for even more guilds stuck for months on what's a pretty simple raid, if your guild has a good raid turnout you will most likely smash Ritual of Terror on a TLP, 12 years ago it was considered incredibly difficult and the only bailout was getting one person who could request the T2 raids which are much easier than Ritual of Terror.

Genuinely hard, one raid every 3 years or so as covered by Kakashi, if you jump to Live you might do one genuinely hard raid between now and 2025 which admittedly is one more than will take place on a TLP between Bazzt Zzzt and Underfoot.
  18. Xeris Augur

Bee is so hard lol. Well, like I said it's not particularly hard, it just requires everyone in the raid to properly gear and carry potions and most people can't be bothered to spend time and energy getting resist gear or buying resist pots... Or even clicking them if your guild provides it.
  19. Crabman Augur

Hard is sorta relative in this case... Like the comment that a guild wiped to vox, doesnt mean people here think of vox as hard. But, you try to hit vox on the 2nd or 3rd day of the server when you have maybe 2 groups of 50's and some 39 clerics just for ch, that might be "hard." As for the list I see posted, as you get further into the expansions raids turn into more of an event, what started as an aoe every 12 seconds in classic and kunark turns into a different mechanic every 20-25% in pop and god turns into even more elaborate ways to beat bosses as the expansions go on.

That said, people can prioritize different things on classic TLPs. What most guilds or the self proclaimed "best" guilds do is work on efficiency over difficulty. Guild/raid leaders have done these tlps so many times they know exactly how many it takes to kill bosses in era. They make sure the guild or raid split has that plus some extra in order for things to be killed as quick and easy as possible. This is where you get melee who forget to auto attack and priests who forget to use their heal, and everything still dies... Some guilds do try to spread thin with splits but what I find more fun and rewarding is finding a group within a guild to kill targets with smaller numbers. Go back and kill naggy with 12 in kunark. Can you drop that number to 10? 8? 6? Mischief was great for that. I had a group of us, 6 players - 11 toons on mischief and we were killing all the Plane of Fire and Water minis which were dropping phase 5/quarm gear. No one was watching netflix on those adventures and they were so much more fun then a 3.5 hour "speed run" with 72 people through Time or NToV...
  20. Xhartor Augur

Kakashi list is pretty solid. Once you get to Underfoot, it's considerably harder then any expansion you have expansion that comes before it. Hive Guardian is another encounter from that expansion that could go on that list.

If your only experience is Classic - PoP, GoD will have a few eye opening fights, but none of is consider hard by players who know the content. The SoF expansion also has a few difficult fights.
    Genoane likes this.