OMM missions were removed, but Overseer can stay?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Strawberry, Dec 30, 2022.

1. Strawberry Augur

Old Man McKenzie missions were great, people played together, it built a community within PoK, and socializing happened.

So I protested when OMM missions were nerfed to the point of being unusable.

One of the developers argued that people weren't exploring the full world but were instead playing in instances with a shrouded character. I found this to be a weak argument, because raids happen in instances too.

But how can you now argue that Overseer is fine. People don't even play with a shrouded character, they don't play the game at all. There is zero socializing. It's just a window where people click a few times and log off. It's idiotic.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  2. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

They aren't even in the same ballpark.
  3. Strawberry Augur

Right, with OMM you had to actually play a character, with Overseer all you do is click your mouse.

So if OMM were nerfed on the basis of not partaking enough in the zones, Overseer should definitely be nerfed.
  4. Evilness Gnome warriors are the best warriors

oldmanyellsatclouds.jpg
    Dre., Silvena, Retty and 5 others like this.
  5. NecroDotty New Member

OMM is a joke who wants to play a stupid monster.
    Dre., Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Roxas MM like this.
  6. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

I was disappointed with the reaction to OMMs. They completely ignored how easy it was to make groups and play. It’s in a main hub zone, easy to get to, more likely to form groups, able to be finished within a hour of play time, and rewarding. Not being able to play your own character was something I’m glad they dropped. The game felt very alive and excited for the launch of Underfoot, at least on Prexus.

Overseer is fine. It’s added in as another MTX feature with limited pay to win and decent rewards. The major downside is the massive amount of clicking and terrible UI. I’d prefer they just scrap the system in favor of daily login rewards.
  7. NecroDotty New Member

nah if you wanted groups Ldon when current was the exansion. never went 5min before i got a group using /lfg i never cared for playing a monster in OMM or some of the missions in DoD. Groups got harder to find and thats why so many made alts and play with there boxes.
    Zarzac and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  8. NecroDotty New Member

Overseer is just fine as is they just they need a mass convert option.
    Flexin and Silvena like this.
  9. Beardsy Elder

What did they do to OMM missions? I haven't done one since Selos, they were fine on there?

Overseer should have never even existed imo, completely useless system that did nothing for us as a community.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

The only thing shrouding is good for anymore is to get disguised as a lower level to make certain quests easier to finish without level 120 mobs.

I hated shrouding, monster missions and OMM as did my entire guild back then. We did one or two and never went back they were so bad.

Overseer is totally different - one still can go socialize with other players while it is running and you are not stuck in some stumpy dumpy dwarf illusion. It is an addition to how we play not a replacement for how we play.

But if some want to make it a replacement then they can and sit in the lobby. That is the players choice

Just like there are really quite a few shrouding and monster missions still in the game for that cliche of players who do like them.
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  11. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

I never understood why they didn't make version 2 with Kunark dungeons. Lazy devs, or maybe casuals were getting lost, but then Kunark dungeons were already simpler than original guks just compare old sebilis zone geometry to them.
    OMM were great, if you didn't suck you could run them as speed runs, 20 minutes each you could knock all three in an hour with only three people. The hilarious part was they were introduced right before Underfoot, just like brain dead LDoN before Gates of Discord, two of them best expansions this game ever had. It's like a guy gently padding you right after he smacks you hard to the floor with the blackjack.
  12. birdsong_pawn Augur

OMM was great before it was nerfed into oblivion. It encouraged socializing and provided a nice way to get a bit of experience. I had fun saving up the points for things like augs and the froggy illusion. After an evening of EQ adventuring, my regular group would run the three missions quickly as a fun way to cap off the day. Of course, the reaction from the designers was to say "people are benefiting from something they enjoy, let's destroy it."

Overseer will stay because some people spend real money (dollars) on it.
  13. Bamboompow Augur

Actually, it was players that pushed back on OMM. Something about the ability to get raid quality loot without actually raiding.
  14. Shakara Augur

Hey! That was my idea you idea stealer!
  15. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

The problem with OMM was the fact that people were selling taskadds for afk experience. That was the only problem with it. And the same problem the same people have complained about for the last 10 years. Off and on things have been done to address it (locking missions on request here or there, making people zone in to get the exp, whatever), but more people complain about mission locks.
  16. birdsong_pawn Augur

The changes to the OMM raids were needed. But there was no good reason to remove the experience gain from the group missions. Why spend development time on something and then nerf it to the point that nobody uses it?
  17. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The only problem with shrouding is that there is no option to just choose a normal class with the normal abilities. I don't want to play as random monsters with their pseudo classes. I just want to play as a lower level monk. I want to be able to choose level 5, 10, 15, ... 60, 65, or 70 monk and have the stats, skills, and abilities available to a PC monk at those levels. Allowing players to play their class normally rather than some weird amalgamation of several different classes that are monsters isn't that fun.

I didn't have a problem with Monster Missions as a method to do the equivalent of flashbacks to give out lore, but they got old once you level pass the content and no one is doing it anymore but can never solo or molo them. OMM I don't have as much of an issue with, because they are designed to give out Alt currency, so if people want some of the special items they can all still work towards that, plus they actually allow you to do what I think that shrouding should have done from the start. Play a lower level version of your class (assuming that your group or raid isn't over filled with your class).
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  18. Stymie Pendragon

They've done it more than once. It reminds me of the question: How many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop? The world may never know, even though the owl bit in after 3. :)
    birdsong_pawn likes this.
  19. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

EQ2 has "mentoring" which sort of lowers the level of the character to a chosen one for the duration. One can mentor another character in the group (giving the mentee an XP bonus as well) or 'self-mentor' via an NPC in one of the city zones. There are special quests, too, one can do while mentored. It can be handy to help a group mate catch up if they're a few levels lower, or even to group with a newer player/character of a much lower level to power level. BUT, while the skills (and equipment) are supposed to scale down while mentored, they're still drastically higher than a character of that level. Spells/skills and gear 'progression' is a lot different in EQ2 than EQ. I'm not sure EQ would be capable of handling similar.
  20. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

OMM have not been removed, once again you lie in your forum titles. They are not unusable, there are still some great times to be gained from completing them.

Overseer has already been nerfed, which indirectly effects exp/AA.
    Orienn, Smokezz and Wyre Wintermute like this.