Font and everything TOO SMALL TO READ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dark_Pheonix, Dec 29, 2022.

1. Dark_Pheonix Journeyman

Some info:
    Ok, so my eyes are not what they used to be and I got a new computer + new screen.
    Problem is, I don't understand resolutions and other video settings. I had to reinstall everything fresh and now everything is SUPER SMALL. I've read a few articles and learned how to change the font size on chat windows and that helps BUT on the other windows, everything is too small to read without straining my eyes and eventually I get a headache. So I gave up on my favorite game. I have come back and hope that maybe someone has fixed this, if its an issue, or knows something I don't. I would like to play the new expansion with my old (and new) friends.

I got a Nvida GeForce RTX 2060 installed and the native resolution is 3840 x 2160.
    The game has 1600x1200 in settings at the log in screen.
    I play in wondowed mode. Windows snap auto adjusts to full screen in windowed mode.

How do I get the HUD pieces to have bigger font and size over all so I don't have to constantly squint? Would a larger monitor work? Or a flat screen tv?

Please help this old guy!
    Stymie and Andarriel like this.
  2. Bernel Augur

One thing you may want to is to change your Windows desktop resolution to be smaller. So rather than it being in 3840x2160, go with one of the smaller modes like 1920x1080. This will have the effect of making the pixels bigger and the images on the screen will be bigger. You can change the desktop resolution in the Display Settings screen. You can get to this settings dialog by right-clicking on a blank area on your windows desktop and selecting "Display settings" in the popup menu. Then pick one of the smaller display resolutions. Not all resolutions will look good on your monitor. Pick one of the smaller ones that looks good with your desktop. The 1920x1080 is half of your normal resolution, so that would probably look good. Some of the other resolutions won't line up as nicely and the desktop will look weird. Here's the dropdown from the Display Settings dialog:

[IMG]

Once you have a smaller resolution, then the full-screen EQ will use the larger pixels and everything will be twice as big on your screen.
    Dark_Pheonix likes this.
  3. Strawberry Augur

There's no in-game option to change font size in EQ. You can change the resolution of your monitor like said above, and it affects the UI because the UI was was never made with responsive design in mind. It is straight pixel based.

Games increasingly get punished in reviews for lack of accessibility features. And many sites rank games by accessibility. Finally.

EQ is an old game. But for new games, I expect at a bare minimum to be able to change the size of the font. Even better to be able to change the font type.

When EQ releases the new UI, it better have the ability to change its size and font size, or I'm going to go on a long-winded rant about UI design.
    Fanra, Kaenneth, Stymie and 2 others like this.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Bernel is right. Every time I get a new computer and install EQ I find the display is really small. And every time the problem is what the desktop resolution is set to.

But - if yours is a high resolution monitor you can also try this:

in the EQ folder right click eqgame.exe and go to properties -
    Compatibility tab
    change high DPI settings
    -Check Override High DPI scaling behavior.
    and set drop down to system.

If this works then you will want to write it down because sometimes the eqgame.exe file gets overwritten and you will need to re-adjust the setting

Also they changed the game and full screen is not an option unless you want to monkey around with it every time you log in so you want it to stay in windowed mode
    Fanra and Dark_Pheonix like this.
  5. Dark_Pheonix Journeyman

It works....ITS WORKING!
    Thank you all! Have a happy new year!
    Herf, Aanuvane, Nennius and 2 others like this.
  6. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Actually, you can change the chat font size but it is chat window specific. Right-click on the chat window where you want a bigger (or smaller) font. Down at the very bottom of the menu is "Chat Size". You have 10 options with 3 being the default. It doesn't change the font style, just the size. I have the size set to bigger on the chat windows where I have group/guild filtered so I can read it easier.

The background tint of your chat window and the colour(s) of the text for the channels (and echo) can also help considerably, especially if you have the chat window background transparent(ish) so it doesn't block your screen and the environment background is the same colour as your chat text.

I also find it helps to have additional windows for specific types of chat text and placement for them in a location where it is more comfortable to view.
  7. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yea i made a chafontsize 8 hotkey because i have 3 windows but only 1 stays at font 8 the other dont kinda annoying actually.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Stymie like this.
  8. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Odd, I've had two at 4 and they don't go back to default.
  9. Syylke_EMarr Augur

There used to be a bug with font sizes over 5 (or maybe 4) that they would only last until you camped.

For the screen scaling, Windows (10 at least, maybe earlier) has a built in scaling feature that can be used. I don't have my laptop (that I use the scaling on) available at the moment, but when I do, I can try to catch the settings I used to scale EQ.
  10. Herf Augur

Sadly chat font sizes only include, uh, chat font, ie. text in windows. It doesn't change other fonts used in the game.
  11. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I really hope this is addressed by the UI update. I have faith in you, Daybreak.
  12. Herf Augur

Lots of us are getting older and DP should view overall font issues as accessibility issues.

Yes changing resolution offers some help, but on my 15" Dell laptop the font sizes on the buttons/controls are just too small, and the limited chat font sizes means they're either too large or too small.
  13. Happygame New Member

I can’t read any label in the map, any way to change the font size of map label?
    Herf, Andarriel and Fanra like this.
  14. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Is the new inc UI gonna change and make it better? im getting old and my eyesight is worse lol. I tried to make my hotkey buttons bigger but seems to max out at 175. I use 150 currently.
  15. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Same i always have to zoom in lol.
  16. ranjaboy New Member

Lol, ALL of us are getting older.
    Herf and Nennius like this.
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Only certain chatfont sizes won't save. Confused me as many were saying no problems. 4 saves 8 doesnt. I think 5 is the largest that will save in more then the main window.
    Rijacki likes this.
  18. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

It isn't even just getting older. Larger screens and higher resolutions are becoming more common and affordable. The UI needs this functionality to keep up with an aging player base, but also to keep up with advances in technology to not exclude any newer/younger players.
  19. Herf Augur

Excellent point. I think people sometimes misunderstand that "higher resolution" means everything is smaller but (if you have 20/20 vision) still readable. People equate larger screen sizes with easier to read, but if it's higher resolution the opposite can be true.
    Rijacki likes this.
  20. Strawberry Augur

The reverse happens too. This is why I am not getting a Steam Deck. I know of at least 2 people who bought the Steam Deck to be able to play a favorite PC game, only to realise that the game's text doesn't scale properly on a Steam Deck.

If you just play action games on the Steam Deck it's fine. But if you play anything with text, it's not, unless the developer specifically modified their game for Steam Deck or they can just port their Nintendo Switch code.

Now Valve has introduced a minimum text size for the Steam Deck to get a "verified" game score. But frankly no developer seems to care about this, there are far too few Steam Decks being bought for most developers to bother.