Mean Streets - Cut off the Head

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Razorfall, Dec 15, 2022.

1. Razorfall Augur

Has anyone found a good way to complete this achievement other than kiting or dragging all the adds around?
  2. Zunnoab Augur

A second healer and tank? That's not the answer you want I'm sure, since kiting is far easier I'd imagine.
  3. Tucoh Augur

Is how most folks are doing it. Offtank the four thugs and handle Jak with the rest of the group. You don't need (or want) a lot of DPS so just going heavy with two healers / two tanks works well.

I'm trying to find a good way to box this event without this strategy or kiting but haven't gotten it worked out yet.
    Knifen likes this.
  4. Karhar Dream Crusher

We have a paladin kite the 4 adds while the rest of the group does it normally.
    Knifen likes this.
  5. Tucoh Augur

6. Razorfall Augur

We were able to do it last night, but the fix didn't really do much to help that part of it because you still have to either kill all the illusions or wait for him to move to one all while tanking Jak and 4-5 adds.

The only other solution I can think of at this time is to have a mage parked far away and coth to drop aggro, but that feels like it's more exploiting the aggro mechanics than beating the mission
  7. Tucoh Augur

[IMG]
    Celephane likes this.
  8. Knifen Augur

No thats addressing the aggro mechanics not exploiting.
  9. Razorfall Augur

"feels like" :p
  10. Tucoh Augur

Hmm, that mage parked away strat did not go well.

Absor i hope next time you go through the drive thru at McDonald's an illusion pops outta the window and kicks your mcrib onto the pavement.
    gnomeboss and Vumad like this.
  11. Zunnoab Augur

It was both.

HP reset was actually removed from the leash sometime before that. His port mechanic is still a buggy mess, but one that uses old-school leash that doesn't reset HP.
  12. Allayna Augur

I've done this a couple times since the hotfix.

Things that seem a lil off still:

Killing in fake, fake, fake, real order makes it far easier
    But if there is a still a fake up when he switches places, I've seen both the real and fake at one location, when you go in for aggro, the "real" leashes to wherever he swapped to

When moving between locations while fighting the "real" one, he will summon top aggro when they are nearby, that could be through walls from the 3rd position to the 2nd position, I typically mitigate this by running the tank there, tanking him and then running the mage to coth everyone.

I still ignore all illusions. Why would I go try and find the illusions and kill them, a more challenging mechanic would be for the illusions to come teleport to wherever the real one is being fought.

The illusions remain up after the event, but despawn when the chest is popped. These should probably despawn when the real one dies.

The event reset from last fake to engage of real one seems to be 45 seconds, this seems a tad short, but manageable, I suppose.
  13. Zunnoab Augur

Actually read the text. Spoiler!

All four may have been fakes, in lore.
  14. Windance Augur

Its probably too late for the devs to rework the group mission.

The auto aggro/summoning in this mission just feels broken.

#1 - The spawn points are too close together.
    #2 - You can agro through walls.
    #3 - When Jakarashev ports it should clear any threat / dots ( again you shouldn't get auto summoned )
    alanus likes this.
  15. Tucoh Augur

Finally got this achievement this morning. This is the hardest achievements I've boxed. Took me ~20 attempts over the last couple of weeks. This run was a botched job but a win is a win. I'm glad there is at least one fight in the expansion that requires some effort, though I really dislike fights against mobs that will port and then summon you if you have certain DoTs/Debuffs on them. This event would be better if some of the bugs (???) were fixed and if it required more DPS.

There's a vid of the fight up on EQResource https://nos.eqresource.com/meanstreets.php

Basic strat:
    • DoT, feign death, Call of the Hero (CotH) to kill the illusion mobs
    • Have a mage gate out of instance next to the zone-in NPC
    • Slowly kill the real Jak to minimize image / tiger adds
    • Have the CotH mage zone in after Jak HP locks and summon ASAP after he teleports
    • Haul to teleport spot
    • Gate the mage again, repeat
    Things I found that don't work:
    • DoTs on Jak
    • swarm pets on Jak
    • a mage actively casting Host of the Elements on Jak
    • having an aggro over time spell (I unmemmed Parlay for Power in the middle of this run...)
    • having your CotH mage stand on the other side of the city (Images spawn on and attack the mage, this can be handled by having your mage actively running around as they spawn, but they miiiiiight share aggro with Jak even if they despawn without getting near him, making the mage unable to CotH)
    I accidentally cast Blood of Tearac on Jak before the first port at 6:19 (I still don't know how this happened, maybe a keybind issue?) which caused him to summon me. I was able to recover by hitting deflection and then bringing my CotH mage over to the shadowknight and popping CotH. I had to do this twice because when I triggered /follow on my boxes they started running crazy which totally derailed my flow. Very sloppy!!

Initially I had a nice multi-macro that used a shadowknight and two mages to kill the three illusions at the start of the encounter. The mages would defensive buff their water pet, pop Frenzied Burnout and send the pet at the Jak illusion while the third mage would cast CotH. This was too unreliable because sometimes the pet would instantly kill Jak and other times it wouldn't kill him before CotH. DoT, FD, CotH using the shadowknight works well enough but isn't as fun or fast.

For a few attempts I would use the bard to pull the thugs away from Jak, CotH the bard and then pull Jak out of line-of-sight of the thug's path. This works sometimes but is unreliable so I just accepted having to tank one thug each time I fought Jak.

Jak's reset time is 40s, so after the third illusion or teleport you've got 40s to re-enage. It takes a little bit of time to CotH, invis up, get /follow working, but I can typically re-engage within this window even on the furthest port spot. The first fight location was on that spot and I got there 30s after the third illusion died. I have my pets attack Jak first so my shadowknight doesn't die while my group is moving in.

High DPS is counterproductive in this mission, so the two mages I have that aren't CotHing are basically useless. I considered swapping one of them for a healer merc. I probably will do that next time. Hell I could probably swap both of them for a healer merc and the only time it'd be a problem is on the initial engage when I don't have pets to send in to take the first hit.

I shifted to a shadowknight for this expansion and he's been performing very well, however he is terrible for this mission because of the amount of time he spends being unable to lifetap. Jak spends 100 seconds in an HP locked state twice in the encounter while you have tigers/images/thugs beating on you. You can lifetap the thugs but that makes things awkward for me because my mages want to assist and nuke whatever my shadowknight targets. I didn't use all my defensive cooldowns during this fight, but even if I did I'd still have to spend a considerable amount of time fighting with minimal self-buffs. If I had my previous group with a war + sha + pal I'd probably try to just no-damage tank the adds. Most folks either off-tank or kite the thugs, which is way more reliable than what I did.
    Zarax likes this.
  16. NatazzEvoli Elder

1 tank dragging all 4 thugs w/o a no-riposte setup to prevent summoning thugs while tanking the real Jaka seems to work but it's pretty challenging. 2 priest types are kind of required for that.
  17. Roxas MM Augur

we did this achievement without a tank, but we did have 3 pets. my ( beastlord ) pet easily tanked 2 thugs, a mage pet on the 2 other thugs, second mage pet on the named, cleric to heal them up if needed, shaman to slow, druid only did dps.
    pretty easy tbh.
    NatazzEvoli likes this.
  18. kizant Augur

Three pets is worth at least 5 player tanks tho
    Vumad and Allayna like this.
  19. Tucoh Augur

Yeah I was thinking about it today and i wouldn't mind trying it again with my mage pets tanking. Just drop a mage off at each spot Jak is at, would only take two really. I think a mage pet with group enhanced minion would work fine.

I did it again this morning using the coth strat with one of my mages dropped in exchange for a healer merc, was much easier.
  20. Allayna Augur

Agreed, I've easily thrown just the RS pet at the real Jak and he's been fine.
    kizant likes this.