Commander Yaminshavraylin

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Angahran, Dec 13, 2022.

1. Angahran Augur

Having to follow Commander Yaminshavraylin close enough to get task updates but not too close that she sees you is frustrating.

There is no way to know if you are close enough until you get too close and get ported to another zone.

So, basically you have to follow this NPC around her path again and again and again and again hoping to get an update and not get ported.

There needs to be some type of warning or indication when you are 'close enough' and something if you are getting 'too close'.
    Dre., Raptorjesus5 and Syylke_EMarr like this.
  2. Allayna Augur

It seems more likely an "aura" radius off of her that you have entered that gets you kicked from my experience. It definitely didn't "feel" like LoS.

There are options between my maps and Good's if you want the update spots.
  3. Toukan Augur

From my experience, it's just random. Stand on marked (at least on my maps) spots with as many toons as you want. SOMETIMES...SOME of them may get banished. Like there's a percentage chance any toon getting the update gets hosed. I got it done on 6 toons yesterday.
  4. Velisaris_MS Augur

What you do is grab a map that accurately has the location updates marked. Once you learn her path and where the long stops are (gotta be quick on #4 because she barely stops) you can basically do it in your sleep.
  5. Sycloniss Journeyman

This quest is evil took me 3 hours to complete this quest. Standing around invs for hours trying to do this without fighting a single mob was just insane not fun.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  6. Sycloniss Journeyman

Ya #4 I soent an hour alone trying to get.
  7. Velisaris_MS Augur

A little advice for anyone grabbing this task and doing the first part, then waiting for the "follow" part because you need to go AFK or just want to take a break or something:

Do not go AFK anywhere near her path.

I did the first steps on my 3 guys, then went AFK next to the mission NPC for a few min...came back to all of my toons standing in water in Paludal because her path takes her in visual range of the mission giver. Luckily, I had invis on or else I would have come back to dead toons.
  8. Angahran Augur

So just accept that the mechanics do not work and rely on someone else going through the insanity of figuring out the exact spot to stand to get the update and not get ported ?

How about instead we actually try to get this FIXED ?
  9. Allayna Augur

What exactly is broken? No messaging to warn you that you have been caught spying? She ports you out of zone, you were caught. She follows a predictable, pre-set path.

Are there parts to this particular partisan that are unpleasant, absolutely! Waiting for her to move on the long spots...trying to get in position quick enough for the pit stops...

I've reliably walked dozens of guildmates through it, I've boxed 6 toons through it myself...

This was a mechanic choice. Also, multiple somebody's have figured out the exact spots and posted them on maps available to you. Goodurden has them on his maps, as do I and Rorce has them on EQR.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  10. Angahran Augur

1. There is no indication that you are 'too close' apart from getting ported out of the zone. Not helpful!
    2. If this is the first time you are attempting this task, how is the path 'predictable' ?
    3. Yes people have made maps that indicate where to stop, but as I said, if someone is attempting this task for the first time, it should be possible to complete without having to rely on someone else having completed it first, without having to get ported 1001 times.

If there is going to be a mechanic where 'something' happens if you get 'too close', then there should be some way to tell you are getting 'too close' BEFORE the 'something' happens.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  11. Allayna Augur

It sounds like you don't enjoy playing and exploring Norrath. I *think* I might have gotten ported to PD a grand total of twice while learning this for the first time. Again, not broken, part of the mechanic of getting caught spying...
    Fian likes this.
  12. Angahran Augur

Really ? You think that having to follow an NPC, while being 'close enough' to get updates yet not 'too close' or you'll get ported to a different zone, while having zero indication of what 'close enough' or 'too close' are is "playing and exploring norrath" ?

Think of it this way, would it be 'fun and enjoyable' if all trafficlights only had red and green, and they switched instantly from one to the other with no warning ?

But, if you think this task is fine, that's great, that's your opinion.
    Personally I think there should be at least some warning before you get ported, give you the option of backing off.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  13. Allayna Augur

Either way, it's not a bug, just your opinion on how it would be a better mission, you could maybe PM a dev and ask them to move this to the vet lounge discussion thread if you really don't like this single quest out of the whole expansion.
  14. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Duder, Velisaris_MS and Allayna like this.
  15. Angahran Augur

In your opinion, this is not a bug.
    In my opinion, having to get 'close' to an NPC in order to do something wihen there is no feedback to if you are actually 'close' enough, is a bug.

Regardless of our opinions, it is up to a dev to decide.
  16. Warpeace Augur

Or, just stand at the update points and get random updates and not bother to follow the commander around.
    demi, Toukan and Allayna like this.
  17. Angahran Augur

So the best way to do this quest requires someone else to have already done it ?
    I guess it sucks for the first person to attempt this quest, getting ported 27 times is no fun.
  18. Warpeace Augur

They were known points the day the expansion went live and were marked on Map packs.
    Feel free to keep arguing about it and complaining. I already stated the easy way to complete this task.

The mechanic is dumb, I will agree with that. It should port you someplace in the same zone.
  19. Duder Augur

It currently functions as designed, as such, is by definition, not a bug. You dont like it, that is feedback. Stop flooding the bug forum with bunk content that belongs in "The Newbie Zone" or "Player Support" forum, or even, "The Veteran's Lounge". This is not a forum for feedback.
    Allayna likes this.
  20. Tucoh Augur

My recommendation to DPG: Decrease the boot radius by a lot and increase the task update radius by a lot. It's a fun quest when it works.

My recommendation to players: Get Goodurden's maps, stand on the numbers. Read whatever is on eqresource.com for the quest and add any additional notes you have.
    Beco likes this.