Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fanra, Dec 11, 2022.

1. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Attempting to talk to or, even more important, hand in items to wandering NPCs is not optimal.

When you hail a wandering NPC they should stop for a while so you can talk to them and hand in any quest items. Having to chase after them just is annoying and serves no good purpose.

An example is Glimmar Remi in Firefall Pass. They wander around when you are trying to hand them an item.

I'm not sure why any wandering mob should not stop when you need to deal with them.
    Thunderkiks, eqgamer, Marton and 14 others like this.
  2. Velisaris_MS Augur

Most do stop for a period of time. The problem is that there seems to be no consistency in that stoppage time...some stop for quite a while, and others for just a few seconds. This varies not only from expansion to expansion, but from zone to zone in each expansion.

I don't understand why that isn't a standard code across all roaming NPCs: i.e. if hailed, stop for X seconds.
    Silvena and Tatanka like this.
  3. Tucoh Augur

I knew this was about Remi before i opened the thread.

Dammit remi stop and eat your ratatouille!!!!

Allayna and Qwalla like this.
  4. Qwalla Developer

I knew this was about Remi before I opened it too, lol! This is going to sound really silly because I know other NPCs will hold their horses when you talk to them, but... Remi WILL JUST NOT STOP. I have tried and tried and tried, and he is a rat on a MISSION. I have asked other designers. I have asked a programmer. No one knows what to do. He is an unstoppable force. If I have a stroke of brilliance and figure it out one day, I'll be sure to fix him.
    Yinla, Allayna, Elyssanda and 3 others like this.
  5. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Thanks for the response and for trying. Sometimes, the game just does its own thing.

There is another quest NPC, this one in Shar Vahl, Divided, that I saw moving and not stopping for hails. However, it seems like they move between two points and when I followed them they actually stopped at one for a while, so I didn't make a post about them.
  6. ttobey Developer

Remi is easily bored.
    Yinla likes this.
  7. Silvena *poke*

Remi needs bribed like Hasten Bootstrutter. Or better snacks.
  8. Nudia Augur

This is also an issue with a few of the quest steps in Shar Vahl. At work right now and can't check the name, but there is a quest turn-in guy that periodically wanders around and doesn't seem to want to wait, either.

Remi not stopping makes sense, skittery little feller.
  9. FYAD Augur

Why not just change him into a static NPC then? Sometimes it's easier to design your way around a problem them to analyze your way through one.
  10. Velisaris_MS Augur

Or, if he has to roam, make it just a few steps back and forth. No need to have him follow such a long path.
  11. Tucoh Augur

Nah, let him roam. I throw a SoW on him everytime I pass just to help him on his way.
    Tallie, Allayna, demi and 1 other person like this.
  12. Ibadan Kun'Tirel Augur

Hrm... I wonder if there's a way to have him cast a short duration root on himself when hailed. Or to have some trigger text that causes him to do so. I mean you've figured out faction hits with an emote so this seems theoretically possible. We have npcs which can cast other spells on demand. Possibly something like this?
  13. CrazyLarth Augur

one npc's you can look at that roam that I know you might look at the code they used for
    Dirkwafer Home Security Copter

Go to Dirkwafer Home Security Copter he Romers in a small circle but Stops by some points you can talk to him safely.

14. Thunderkiks Augur

Yeah this really sends me into a rage! I box my group and really annoying on my main but super annoying on the other chars I'm trying to talk to them or turn in ect.
  15. Flatchy Court Jester

Could you use SK AA snare on him and fd off the aggro to help? dunno already did this and did not try that just went with it.