AB server down today on prime time: alternating downtimes possible for "unsceduled donwtimes"?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Beco, Dec 8, 2022.

1. Beco Lorekeeper

My feeling is, that all downtimes are always sceduled in a way, that those playing usually at european prime time get the short end. My request is to consider to scedule "unsceduled donwtimes" posponed about 3 ours ahead of the usual starting time in order to give the european players a chance to play a couple of ours on their prime-time, atleast on days where it is possible to do so.
    My feeling is, that those "unsceduled donwtimes" always hit the server around the europeans prime time. This makes me feel, that they are planned to be always in the same time-range.
    It should be possible to alternate the starting time of those "unsceduled donwtimes"in a manner, that not any of them always hit AB server on prime time.
  2. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

It's based off of Pacific Time, during normal day work hours for the staff.
  3. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

They aren't just taking the servers down for a 3 hour rest. They are WORKING during the downtime. You know, at their jobs. So they do them during their work hours. So they can do work. At their jobs.
  4. Loup Garou De loop de loop

[IMG]

Not quite sure how one would schedule an unscheduled downtime?
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

And yet, it was done. We live in an age of miracles. Praise Brell.
    Loup Garou and minimind like this.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Probably more accurate to say most times you can't schedule them very far in advance and when they do they do the best they can to affect as few as possible while being able to get it done and deal with any problems during their regular working hours as much as possible. *takes breath*
  7. Nennius Curmudgeon

There ya go again. Interjecting reality into what was, for me, a deeply moving and spiritual moment. Brell is NOT pleased.
  8. Tegila Augur

Idk the issue in the first place. Launch patch was 9a-3p eastern, i.e. like 2-8p Western Europe? And Thursday was 1-4pm eastern, aka 6-9western Euro ish....4 hrs different start time, op only complaining because the earlier patch was twice as long even though it ended earlier it was still caguely the same time. Idk what hours y'all consider primetime tgesedays either I guess, when I raised it was 9p start so barely a delay and only once, IF it was now and I was tgere. Ppl complain to complain. The majority of paying players and the location of the dev team kinda trumps the wishes of a minority timezone either way.
  9. Beco Lorekeeper

I understand that people want to do their work during their normal workours. But If the total downtime is expected to be 3 ours, for my mind it would be possibble to alternate the start of those downtimes in order to not hit always the same players. I understand well, that no players are happy to be hit with a downtime at their prime time, therfore I suggested an alternation of the start of such downtimes, not a complete shift in the patchtimes.
  10. Beco Lorekeeper

@Teglia: its not the last couple of patches. As far as I remember all patches those presumed to could be of long term or complicated as well as those which likely would be done in a couple of ours. All of them always has be sceduled at europeans prime time, likely the most common time for those who have top do the work, probably between first coffe and lunch.
    For my feeling it wouldn't be more than fair, if some of those which can be sceduled in short timeframes, are done at other times.
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Do you all go bang on McDonalds or the local grocery store after they are closed and demand they open just for you and a group of your friends to come in and shop for an hour or so?

The employees work a certain schedule and have for some time. They are not nurses, or police or firefights who rotate schedules. That being said you now want them to wake up and come into work for one day on a totally different schedule that what they are used to.

Having worked rotating shifts I know how hard it is to change your work schedule even for one day or a few hours. Its far easier for me to get over my bad self and reschedule our raids.
    Andarriel likes this.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

When you have a game that is played around the world a patch is going to be at prime time for some players regardless. As much as players would like them to schedule patches around US and EU prime time the problem comes with the extra costs of bringing in all the needed employees during off hours for a patch.
    Loup Garou likes this.
  13. Cicelee Augur

Could always move to West Coast of United States. That would resolve that issue.

Might bring up some other issues, but it would cure the one in the thread!
    Loup Garou and Andarriel like this.
  14. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

The new generation probably does not me im old lol plus i live on pst.
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

I do live in the left, err west coast of the USA. :) Not the most economical place to live, but if you can afford it there's a house for sale down the street from me. A bit expensive, but if a dwarven family wanted to move in, Brell WOULD be pleased.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/15780-Dell-View-Rd_El-Cajon_CA_92021_M15146-79021
    demi likes this.
  16. Koutarou_E'ci Elder

Its even worse for asia-time.
  17. Koutarou_E'ci Elder

That's a hard no. Left the US 25 years ago, no regrets I did. Couldn't pay me enough to make me live there again.
  18. Vumad Cape Wearer

I once walked into a Lowes that was closed because the door wasn't locked. They said were closed. I said, not according to the other store, I'm here for my stove. They were like WTF but while they were dealing with me they called the other store and that store told them the store I was now at was open. The store I was at was super cool after that with me but I am pretty sure the other store manager got an ear full.

In case it wasn't clear, store 1 checked the inventory and assumed store 2 had the same hours, but they actually closed an hour later.