I know Return to PoP is probably next, LDON Request for after

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Astefin, Dec 7, 2022.

1. Astefin Journeyman

So, I know we are more than likely done with Luclin and Planes of Power remake is more than likely next, and it will most likely be forced progression to level again.

I would like a return to LDON following it that can fix some of the forced progression and make solo able leveling.

LDON had easy, regular, and hard mode. A redo of LDON could have a set gain similar to overseer. Easy would be a solo type dungeon if you were decently geared and AAed while giving 2% regardless of level on completion. Medium difficulty could be tuned for 3 players + 3 mercs and give 3.5% on completion. Hard for a full party of group geared players and give 5%.

It could also be made to give 15, 30, or 45 AAs on completion if you do not need regular experience. The progression quests could be completing mob count, boss, or rescue in each zone. Each could have its own zone hunter and collections as well.

Mission chests could spawn at end of LDON giving 1 random T1 piece to solo missions, followed by 1 T1, 1 T2, and a ore for medium, and then 2 T1 pieces, 2 T2 pieces, 1 ore, and 2 random collection pieces for hard mode.

Of course, the LDON vendors could be put in and give players the ability to save up points to buy type 5 & type 7 augs and T3 gear without needing the ore or power sources could be sold with augs. Easy missions give X tokens/coins, medium X * 1.5, hard X coins doubled.

The beginning level for LDON repeat could be 100 and go to 130/140 max level that give end of dungeon experience. Then there wouldn't be a worry about people in another 10 years at 150 still using LDONs to level.

Return to LDON would alleviate the removal of the solo game through 99% of EQ and help to remove the game dying because of the implementation of forced group only progression.

A recreated Butcherblock (T1 zone), desert of Ro (T1 zone), and everfrost (t2 zone) can be made for those that do not want to do LDONs and can have regular progression and a hard style group mission and raid for those that enjoy current everquest and do not like the idea of LDONs on repeat.

Since this is a discussion, what does everyone else think about something like this?
  2. Fohpo Augur

I think TBL already started the PoP revisit, and we had a couple zones in TBM.
    Szilent likes this.
  3. Cicelee Augur

Could be Luclin Part 3- The Return of the Shissar. Or The Shissar Strikes Back. Or Luclin Part 3: A New Shissar.

More than enough zones left from original Loose-Lin to make a Part 3 if they wanted to...
    CrazyLarth and Maedhros like this.
  4. Stymie Pendragon

Loose, I am your father. :)
    Cicelee, Maedhros and Waitwhat like this.
  5. Brontus EQ Player Activist

As various EQ expansions are released, I really appreciate the new zone revamps that the devs have created along the way. It's good to see new assets with higher poly counts. I think it's important to modernize the MMO with updated graphics and polished environments.

That said, there are still many zones that are in dire need of a revamp. As you mentioned Everfrost, Butcherblock. If I found a magic lamp, could summon a genie, and make a wish, I would add Lesser Faydark and Qeynos Hills and many others.
  6. Fohpo Augur

I wouldn’t mind seeing some EQ2 dungeons/zones ported over and redone for EverQuest.
    Brontus likes this.
  7. minimind The Village Idiot

As much as the TLPs bemoan LDoN as an expansion because of the weirdness of progression, gear acquisition, and the long expansion unlock time, I know many people have frequently praised the value of the instance-focused expansion in its ability to facilitate pick-up groups and for the fun of the dungeon crawl.

I'd be all for an LDoN 2.0... but make sure there's a specific focus on the dungeon crawl because those are much more conducive to pick-up groups than major script-based event missions like missions have been the norm since TBL.

My goal would be able to say to a bunch of people I don't know, "Hey that was fun. Weird group, but it worked. Another?"
    Brontus, Raptorjesus5, Ndaara and 2 others like this.
  8. Astefin Journeyman

I agree with the dungeon crawl hole heartedly. It is part of what endearing nostalgic magic has me remake alts on live and run them through long forgotten LDONs to level.
  9. UgeneCarefulAxe New Member

OMG it would be nice to have an expansion with something new, not a rehash of an old expansion. . . .
    Yinla likes this.
  10. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Good loose with that ;)
    Stymie likes this.
  11. Astefin Journeyman

As much as I would also love "new" content, I believe EQ has lost the ability to ever do that again.

The best we can realistically hope for is a fresh rehash that takes all types of the playerbase into account. Right now, they are leaving out a good portion of the playerbase almost daring them to quit and never return.
    Want to have one account and solo through while knowing a few things are past your reach unless you find a group? - We do not want you, learn to box and pay for more accounts.
    Want to grind in a corner of death and destruction? - we made these half hearted quests of boredom we want you to do instead.
    Want to experience a fully new fleshed out expansion with completely new everything? - sorry, but have you looked at our new take on maidens eye? Did you see a remade great divide?

Now, I am not against rehash/remake of zones, but I know some are not fans. I think LDON might be the closest we could get to actually fresh content. A few rehash zones with 6 to 8 dungeon crawls like old LDON that could be completely new maps.

I just want people to come back to the game and stay instead of being frustrated and leaving again, and I want new LDON...

There needs to be an inbetween of progression and grind. All progression will kill this game.
    Stymie and Iven like this.
  12. manglered Lorekeeper

i bought the new expansion and honestly ive played the content for a few hours and am already mildly bored with it. the last real expansion with good content released was the burning lands ... honestly can say i wont be buying any rehashed content anymore ... if they want my money they'll hopefully stop recycling old zones and maybe just maybe get creative like they did in TBL
  13. Geko Elder

100% this. The last good expansion we had was TBL. I went from 6 boxing with paid subs in TOV ... to not even playing in COV ... still haven't upped my subscription nor have I bought Night of Shadow. Not wasting time anymore with the current expansion path

Old Zones ---> 4 crap missions over and over and over .... and over ---> raids that mimic those same 4 crap missions. Rinse and Repeat ... Garbage. If this is what EQ's end looks like ... they should have just let it die after TBL so we could have a final good memory of the last 20+ years of our life.
  14. Iven Antonius Bayle

There might be another two or three luclin expansions. Many players want to see a modern Ssra.

You are wrong with that LDoN had an easy mode. It is and was just normal and hard and there are also a few raid instances. A new LDoN would be great but I think that it is to early to discuss about it. But it should not have the exact same five theme patterns again as that would be boring. Adopting the two most popular and unique themes (Mistmoore, Takish Hiz ) OR something similar would be ok but there should be three new ones also. Might be a good idea to let the players vote for that.
    • Deepest Guk
    • Miragul's Menagerie
    • Mistmoore's Catacombs
    • Rujarkian Hills
    • Takish-Hiz
    A selection of themes that could be added:

Original: Infected Paw (Gnolls, elementals, water mephits)
    Original: Najena (Skeletons, spiders, minotaurs, fire goblins, ogres, dark elf magicians, elementals)
    Original: Befallen (Necros, shadowknights, undeads, wisps, rats, bats)
    Original: Clan Runnyeye Citadel (Goblins, evil eyes, slime cubes, sporali, mimics)
    Original: Qeynos Aqueduct System
    Original: Kedge Keep (Underwater and Faydwer !)

Kunark: Ruins of Kaesora (Spiders, undead mobs)
    Kunark: Crypt of Dalnir (Sarnak, coerced humanoids, slime goos, skeletons, ravenous nibblers)
    Kunark: Mines of Nurga (Goblins, rats)

Velious: Thurgadin (The dungeon parts including the mines)
    Velious: Velketor's Labyrinth: Lower dogs (Kobolds, crystal spiders, spectres)
    Velious: Plane of Mischief

Luclin: Grieg's End
    Luclin: A new cotterie vampire theme similar to Mistmoore Catacombs (Castle dungeon)
    Luclin: Echo Caverns

I absolutely hate progression and most of the theme park stuff. It is more like work than being fun and destroyed the open experience group concept. Everybody is stuck or done at completely different progression steps and about nobody does want to repeat that often difficult and non-rewarding grind. Theme parks are a thing for single player offline games but not for MMOs.
    Aenvar likes this.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I stil have my hopes set on a trip to Drinal after we are done in Luclin. :)

I'm pretty tired with rehashed zones, this expansion feel old before I've started it, really cannot get into redoing more stuff in Luclin, I felt the same with CoV. 1 year is enough!

Need more TBL type of content, completly new zones but with some of the old feel.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  16. Geko Elder

This sums up a big part of it. If you are going to rehash old expansions ... it needs to be 1 and done. This 2 year garbage is for the birds.

Also, please remember that most of these expansions were dropping on a 6 - 8 month schedule back then. And the original expansions had 10x more content than what you are currently remaking.

Looking at a 2 year time period ...
    Scars of Velious )12/5/2000) .... Shadows of Luclin (12/4/2001) ..... Planes of Power (10/22/2002) ... we were given 67 new zones. :):cool:

Terror of Luclin 2021 ... Night of Shadows (2 years total )
    14 new zones. :mad::(

At this rate ... I will take DPG's 10 years to produce what SOE was producing in 22 months.... And it still wouldnt be even 1/25th the quality of content.

To summarize, back in the early 2000's we were getting vastly better quallity and quantity of content... We are straight up bored with where current leadership has taken this game.
  17. Derd Augur

For context you can read the current thread asking how many developers working everquest. Then you can go here https://www.giantbomb.com/everquest/3030-10796/credits/

And if you still don't understand that the current staff is doing the best they can...and I believe they are. Then your not able to understand why it is what it is
    Roxas MM likes this.
  18. demi Augur

your comparing apples to oranges .. back in 99' 00' they had way more resourses to work with.. prolly had double if not triple the staff..

This is a 24 year old game(roughly) although it's not in maintenance mode it is in easy mode.

I'm not always appreciative about what the dev's or Darkpaw do , but I will give them credit where credit is due .. they do the best they can with what they have .. and I for one am glad this game still is up and running .. I'm grateful that they continue to release expansion year after year and give us new content and things to do .. I may not say that enough to them and some of my posts are prolly not so polite to them when they do things i do not like ..

It will be a very sad day when they do decide to put this game into maintenance mode and not come out with any new content at all .. but even when that happens i'll still be playing this game and giving them my krono for the subs of my accounts .. and when this game eventually does close its doors (which i hope is at least another 10 years away) i'll prolly go play on an e.m .u server or something.

I have gotten prolly thousands upon thousands of enjoyed hours of entertainment with this game for very little money vs reward in comparison to other games or other avenues of entertainment.

although, I wish the expansions could be like they were in the old days I know they are trying and do the best they can and I'm ok with what they give us .

Now that the praise is done , how bout we talk about those nerfs or the fact that my aspect of the brood is still not Heirloom .. ;)
  19. Vumad Cape Wearer

LDoN was probably my favorite expansion in EverQuest. As an ENC, it was the time when I had the most value. People wanted me to pull and to CC. I really got to play my class. Also the way people worked together and group balanced, it was the best.

However, I don't really want to see a LDoN reboot. I don't know where to find it but a Dev was talking about how LDoN was the best and most complexed expansion. The zones were variable in their design. They were randomized when they were spooled up so that not only was the named not always in the same location but the zone itself was not always the same. I could be wrong on this but that is how I understood it.

I'm concerned that LDoN wouldn't be LDoN if just using the lore. LDoN was a different kind of gameplay. Preserve that gameplay or don't reboot it.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  20. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Some dev said back in the day that LDON was a nightmare and they would never update it or release anything like it again. The closest they get are bits and pieces of the the HA's now and the daily Hot zones which scale to level