Lifetime Accounts

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gengrel, Dec 6, 2022.

1. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Lol, no that’s not true at all. I purchased 3 and only play a few months a year on average. It doesn’t really bother me I’m not getting maximum value quickly. Just want to point out that you’re assuming rational behavior around an irrational hobby.

They should run more promotions like limited Lifetime subscriptions. Financial pain is temporary and soon forgotten, especially around hobbies as it’s hard for people to control emotions. Within a short period of time people are back to their conventional spending patterns. You’re going to find very few people with enough discipline to pause additional spending until they recover the upfront cost.
  2. minimind The Village Idiot

I don't assume rationality universally, but when doing financial projections with the extreme risk of loss, any reasonable person has to assume rationality. If you don't, you put yourself at over-projecting returns (undercalculating risk of loss).

The thing is that Daybreak has all the data on the financial effects of their lifetime memberships. If they saw it as financially advantageous, they would have been selling the memberships every year since.

They haven't. They aren't. And I think I recall them saying "never again".
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  3. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Well good news, they don’t have to make baseless assumptions because they have 23 years of sales data and now multiple years of data after lifetime subscription sales. Also, the massive analytics behind MTX that is out there. Consumer behavior in MTX is heavily researched.

The reason why they wouldn’t do it again, because they don’t have a solid marketplace shop. There’s not enough to it. They can say “never again” but that doesn’t mean anything. How many times have they backed off of a concrete stance? Never again a FV ruleset server, but Mischief and Thornblade released and on and on.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  4. Mossaa Augur

I know people with 3 lifetime accounts that plays, and would have been all access if they did not have the lifetime. They play for free now, even get paid 500 db cash for each account each month.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Yinla like this.
  5. demi Augur

lol so technically Darkpaw pays them to play :p that is funny
  6. Tegila Augur

You're assuming everyone that bought it still plays year round when I KNOW that's not the case. Hell in RoF I'd have bought them and I quit for 7 years immediately after the expansion. But I did come back. And that million supposed lost revenue is only lost IF they all still play year round AND IF they don't spend their sub money in marketplace or on higher expansion packs instead.
  7. Tegila Augur

I also know some have been permabanned lol
    KushallaFV likes this.
  8. Tegila Augur

Exactly. They know what % of players stop paying for a how long each year, or stop playing period (annual average player loss) they know who spends and who doesn't etc, they know how addictive their game is and is not, and they know the trends of the entire industry for annual expenditures. Once a big expenditure is made, it may slow, but the normal rate of spending will get back just relocated. In this era, people buy Kronos regardless of subscription standing, for other uses, and others buy those Kronos with plat or items to pay their subs. Revenue gets shifted all over in this game these says lol. But that revenue is still there. People that are ever willing to spend money, will always spend money if they have it, even if what they spend it on changes.
    KushallaFV likes this.
  9. Duder Augur

It was the PREVIOUS owners who were artificially increasing the portfolio value, and I’ve done nothing wrong by pointing that out. I never accused the current owners of any impropriety. It’s mindsets like yours as to why corporate corruption all over the world continues on for far too long. But if cowering is your MO, you do you.
    Arcolin likes this.
  10. Iven the Lunatic

To many speculations and assumptions in your post.
    1. Theoretically those accounts could be also FTP instead of AllAccess now or the player won't play anymore. Lifetime Accounts could be a big motivation to play the game at all as they are already fully financed (pre-paid) with no direct following up costs. Not using such accounts would be a waste of money and about nobody does like that.
    2. They are not free now, because they have been paid. They never will be free, it could be just an ongoing better price ratio for spent playtime. Not for overall passed time which is irrelevant.
    3. As the monthly 500 db are a part of the deal they are not a bonus.

Ouch !
  11. FyrasDrinal Journeyman

Do lifetime accounts remain lifetime if Daybreak were acquired?
    What happens if Nightbreak buys Daybreak and terminates all lifetime subs?
    What legal recourse would a person have?
  12. Iven the Lunatic

That won't be possible I think as the buyer would also have to accept all ongoing contracts including those that had been made between DBG and the other juridical persons that the players are using to pay things. However there are dirty trading tricks that could end lifetime contracts like forcing the players to agree or disagree with new contract conditions. Those that are missing out that deadline or making a false decision would be fooled*.

There definetly is a high risk for the buyers in the first few years like receiving a perma-ban for the account or the co-contractor (DBG and its holdings) going insolvent.

Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and minimind like this.
  13. Mossaa Augur

Ok. Is my 3 accounts and others in the guild. All been paying all access before this and would have done if not lifetime, so in that situation it is free to play now.
  14. Mossaa Augur

Yes, it feels like that. But we pay for accounts and more DB cash for fun stuff
  15. demi Augur

16. Iven the Lunatic

It does not matter who's accounts they are, Mossaa. It is still a speculation, a fiction. A fiction is a non existant fact that does get treated as it would be a fact. Fact is only that you and the others had bought pre-paid lifetime accounts. FTP would even mean that you cannot use the AllAccess features now, but you can !

Basically you are only telling us that you assume (a theory) that you made a good deal but that is subjective and hardly based on objective facts because your logic is based on speculations ("All been paying all access before this and would have done if not lifetime").
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  17. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Thank you for this screen shot of a Heroic that cannot be deleted and remade. For those that are often confused with what the game text is trying to say - "increment" means one of a series of amounts that increase a total so "will not" means it will not increase your Heroic Character count therefor you would delete that character. Forever.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If you want to claim that they would still be paying for a yearly subscription is speculation you also have to consider that they will have stopped paying is also speculation. You can't claim that one view on how the lifetime subscriptions impacted revenue is speculation while saying that a different view is correct.
    minimind likes this.
  19. Mossaa Augur

I have paid for all accounts since I started playing. I am high on the achivement list in magelo as i also pay subscription to. I raid in a top guild. What indication do you see that say I would stop all access if I did not have lifetime?
  20. Armain New Member

I have 5 lifetime accounts.. I still pay for one more annually as I should have bought 6 when I had the chance. I don't raid anymore but play casually as I find I am less able to do all the twichy stuff as I get older. I have played and loved the game as my first mmo since 2000. I always paid for my account as I was too used to it long before there was free accounts. I really don't spend much money at the Daybreak store though I have bought some of the bags.