Alternate Advancements

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Kuhl-J, Nov 29, 2022.

1. Kuhl-J New Member

When do you start to accumulate AA's? I just turned level 50 and have yet to earn any AA's. Do you have to have a paid account? I am unable to adjust how much exp I have going to AA's What am I doing wrong? My Merc is gaining AA's
    I am currently playing on Cacic-Thule
  2. Soulbanshee Augur

Starts at level 51.
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:AA

Non related to merc AA.
    Rijacki likes this.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Just to add a quick overview so you don't feel overwhelmed reading all that info.

All accounts start earning AA at level 50/51 depending on your class. Except for these that were given to you at level 5 which was "Origin".

And all the Vet reward AA under special at character creation

Now F2P and Silver accounts can only earn 250 AA so when you start earning them then apply them wisely if your going to stay F2P/Silver.

If you are going to be a paying account (All Access) then you have use of what is called "Auto Grant". This feature, when turned on, will grant you character most AA for every 5 levels as he levels up automatically. You can still earn them the old way and use those for tradeskill AA or a few others that do not get granted with Auto Grant.

Merc start to earn AA at level 1 (unlike players) and at .25 of a real players, so they are really slow and they have to be "out". They cannot be suspended.
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I don't think this is still true. I think merc AA is generated now whether they are out or not.
  5. Filter Augur

My understanding is that you don't get merc exp unless you have them out when killing mobs. The only way you get exp on merc with it NOT being out is mission exp. You finish a mission and your merc gets credit too even when it's not up.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Found it - 10/21/21 patch.

Experience granted from quests, tasks, and rewards (non-kill sources) will now increase your Mercenary Alternate Advancement Experience regardless of whether your mercenary is currently active.

So you still need them out for killing to get exp.

Why would you drag around a passive merc while killing anyway? Oh, that's right others are not Rangers. Yeah our merc is always on, even in POK in case we trip
    Rijacki and Nennius like this.
  7. cisabian New Member

once you max out on the aa for the ftp account you are kinda stuck paying to have your character survive past lvl 90 against mobs
  8. Soulbanshee Augur

Silver (grandfathered accounts) can earn 1000.

Benefits for all access are nicely laid out here vs free accounts. Silver are accounts that were created before F2P (before combined into All Access?).
    https://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Membership#Membership_matrix
    Nennius likes this.
  9. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

You can subscribe for a month every so often to use AA (or get the autogrant) and then go back to FTP.

But yes, there are distinct advantages to subscribing after you hit a certain point.
  10. Annastasya Augur

As has been alluded to in this thread, but not clearly spelled out-

If you are normally running a free to play account, and you've made it to level 79, just as an example, if you buy at least one month's subscription, click the AUTOGRANT button on your inventory screen, and then level up to 80, you will be granted All the AAs for your character that were available up to level 80 (with a few exceptions like the tradeskill AAs as mentioned) and you will get to KEEP these AAs for your character, even if you let the subscription expire after one month, or cancel the subscription within that month (these two options will have the same results basically), and even if your character is far above it's normal AA cap for your free to play subscription.

Following these steps, you will have most the AAs you need, at minimal cost. You will not, however, be able to gain more AAs until you are again subscribed to the game. But you can repeat this process up to whichever level that autogrant stops at. I'm not sure what level that is currently, 100? 110?
    Rijacki likes this.
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

As of today (or should be as of today, haven't confirmed yet), all AAs up to and including level 110 should be auto-grantable (minus tradeskills and few other specific AAs). Auto-grant has always been up to four expacs back. With NoS now out, that's NoS, ToL, CoV and ToV which are still not auto-grantable.
    Rijacki likes this.
  12. Fidelo New Member