TS depot idea/feedback...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tatanka, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Since beta forums close with NoS release, I'm just opening this thread here.

Here's an idea for the main complaint/issue with using the depot for "experimenting", which is all you do when going for 350. Apparently the depot can't be used when experimenting, which cuts down on its usefulness quite a bit.

I had mentioned this idea once before in regards to carpal tunnel/repetitive stress issues, and it would be doubly useful for this. How about making all recipes available in the TS UI, and just mark the ones you don't really "KNOW". Solves the carpal/RSI issue, solves the depot usefulness for experimenting issue, and removes the need for external spreadsheets, etc to know what you still need to make to get to 350.
    Joules_Bianchi and Windance like this.
  2. Mossaa Augur

I think the point about knowing is that you do not know that you miss them until you do a combine that works. There is still items out there that no one knows. You lose the discover part.
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Except that we do. Everything is documented on many sites, the forums, etc.

There's no true "experimenting" going on here. We KNOW what mats we need to make what we want to make. But until you make one successfully, you have to drag and drop every piece for every try (RSI issue), and of course, if you're going for 350, once you get that initial success, >> you're never going to make that item again <<. Now add the uselessness of the TS depot for "experimenting", and now you have two compelling reasons to add this feature.

If there are truly recipes that have never been completed (and I'm sure they have data to know this), then fine, don't add those. But 99.9% of everything has been made, many times over.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

In game you still don't know them which is what is important and there is still a lot of use for the depot for making items outside of just making a recipe to learn it.
    Rijacki likes this.
  5. Lubianx Augur

This is true but it would be nice to be able to withdraw items from the Tradeskill Depot whilst opening a tradeskill container so you can experiment. At the moment, you have to be at the bank to be able to withdraw
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

That's where we disagree. I don't find that important at all. Not much of a role-player :)
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Players learn a lot of things from third party websites that their characters don't know and have to learn in game on their own. Nothing wrong with having to learn them in order to use various trade skill features.
  8. Aanuvane Augur

There have been multiple threads on this very topic, though everyone else is asking because of the tediousness of alt click in experiment mode. Early in beta I was able to open the Depot from the container and withdraw items in order to then go into experiment mode. I KNOW I did not dream this. They changed it at some point several weeks in. I agree this is what is needed. Why put the button on the TS container interface to search/look if I can't withdraw? Easier for me to just pull up the recipe and click on it to see if I have what I need in the TS Depot.

As for all recipes being known - they aren't. I just discovered a dozen velious era shields after someone reported the missing recipe for Forged Velium Rapier and new spell recipes trickle in all the time and it wasn't but a couple of months ago (or maybe longer, time flies) that a new set of baking recipes was uncovered....
    Mukkul likes this.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

That's actually fun to hear, I didn't know any of that.

Even so, doesn't change my assertion that 99.9% (at least) of recipes are known and have been made. If they have a way to NOT populate the new/never-made ones, then I'm still a fan of just showing all the other recipes in the TS UI, and noting in there which ones that char doesn't "know" (i.e. hasn't made one yet).
  10. Windance Augur

I've made this suggestion a couple of times as well.

+1 for improving game play.

Can't wait to see how many forum questers scream bloody murder because that's not how trades skills are supposed to work !
  11. Windance Augur

I don't think many people care about the discovery part of trade skills.

There are a hand full of people who claim they would miss it but the silent majority of EQ players would much rather have an easier to use trade skill UI rather than reverting to the "experiments" mode.

I would like to challenge anyone who says we would miss out on the discovery / roleplaying aspect to roll a new toon and re-discover "the fun" in pushing to 350.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Really need to be able to take items from the TSD to be able to experiment with them.

I'm not getting into the argument with regard to having all recipes available, but in the past we had books to click to give us recipes. So not all have had to be discovered.
  13. Tegila Augur

maybe make checkboxes next to the items in the depot, and can hit a combine button. it treats the check boxes as if they were individually inserted into said container, maybe some other something to denote if there are 2 3 4 instead of 1 of that item etc, instead of 1 at a time UNTIL success, jsut 1check per ingredient no matter how many fails til you learn. still gotta tell the game this is what i wanna combine and how many etc, but it both makes experimentation from the depot possible, and decreases carpal tunneling at least on failures learning recipes. Just a thought.

edit: and no "keep trying til i succeed" button like the Combine all, just decrease clicks particularly on 10ingredient 500+ trivfial recipes. its not liek itd help with 4ingredient 100trivs except that hte depot could be used directly.
  14. Soulbanshee Augur

There's another part of this, not all learned recipes count toward 350, so then what?

Any type of processing added above a simple select is going to add server load, and potentially add complex code that may be difficult to manage in the future (or break, or unexpected results to leak out). Adding a "global load" of recipes is going to add a lot (too much?) server processing, and you know it's going to get hammered as people hunt and peck for recipes to combine.

I would also imagine there could be recipes in the DB that were worked on and added but for design reasons components had to be scrapped so they are only unavailable for virtue that the components are not seeded in game.

I agree with the sentiment in OP (I'm still trying to work on reasearch in batches), I just don't agree with the proposal.
    Tatanka likes this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Again, just because one player has discovered a recipe doesn't mean that all players should automatically have access to it.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why though? There is likely a lag related issue that prevents you from doing that. What is wrong with starting with the ability to use it at all and then see if it can/should be improved at a later date? Isn't the fact that you can use it for things you have already learned a big improvement?
  17. Windance Augur

The same could be said of the trade skill depot it self. Why add any new code if it just adds complexity and may be difficult to manage ?

As far as the lag. The search/data could be done client side.
  18. Svann2 The Magnificent

How much discovery is there when you can buy recipe books in game that tell you how to make every item?
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That data still has to be transferred to the client in order to do the search and that is where the problems likely start.
  20. Windance Augur

They do that during a patch. Its no different than the zone files, spell data files, etc.