Overseer improvement

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by uberkingkong, Apr 30, 2022.

1. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I mean...you don't have to play Overseer if you find it painful. Just don't open it. There. Fixed it. No pain!
  2. Bernel Augur

Once I got to the point of having max elite agents, I gave up trying to figure out iconic vs. non-iconic uncommon agents. I just leave them at 2 of each. If I have dups of uncommon iconics, oh well. It makes conversion simple. Three or more of an agent? Put it in a conversion. Two or less of an agent? Leave it there.
  3. Moege Augur

Suggested that each expansion collection items should be put on a different vendor and overseer dispensers should become a currency, should eliminate the whole clickfest but the suggestion was not welcomed /shrug
  4. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Sure he's gonna remember all 74 uncommons ok not
  5. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

BTW what overseer improvement did they actually do? they had seasonal quests is that it? what would be nice is a mass convertion.
    Metanis likes this.
  6. Wulfhere Augur

Not that. It's the handful of iconics that one memorizes. I know lol
  7. Metanis Bad Company

The whole thing with Overseer is pattern matching. The squarest peg in the squarest hole and repeat with other shapes. Elegant and simplistic. Appealing to those of us who enjoy games like solitaire.

And everything about agents is simple logic... except for iconic vs. non-iconic affecting only Uncommons. And then they do not allow sorting by that characteristic! It's the one aspect of the game that is asymmetrical and bothers my OCD.
    Andarriel and Silvena like this.
  8. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

They need to make a simple symbol or something on the conversion screen for them. I gave up trying to remember as i wanted to save the non's and just keep the ones i actually use in mission's now.
  9. Bernel Augur

One thing to help identify iconic/normal uncommon agents is that the iconic ones typically have names that sound like personal names while normal agents have generic, descriptive names. "Trumpy Irontoe" is a personal name, so that agent is likely iconic. "Orc Chief" is a description, so that's likely not iconic.

Another way is that uncommon iconic agents will have two jobs, which you can see when you hover over the agent:

[IMG]

An uncommon non-iconic will have one job:

[IMG]
    Moege and Metanis like this.
  10. Heimdall Elder

Nah, but it does need some help.

Something worth using the currency on beyond Unattuners and Crystallized Luck.
    Cleaning up the missions - the Crafting/Harvesting/Research 6/6/12 isn't very good.
    Fill in the rest of the XPacs on the Crafting/Harvesting/Research especially with an eye towards the TS Trophies.

Shorten the missions enough to give us wiggle room without making it possible to get another round too often. 10 hour mission in a 12 hour reset let you be late to your game session by a couple hours one day and still stay in your normal windows.

Replace the Agents with ones that make sense. They're basically trying to pull in the Follower mission system from Star Wars The Old Republic here. You send someone on a mission and get stuff. The difference is it makes sense for your Padawan to go get some lightsaber crystals for you. It doesn't make sense for Mayong Mistmoore to take a break from taking over the moon to bring you a handful of scrolls to clean up and use in your quest to... stop him from taking over the moon.

Edit to add: Also make Tier 5 vs Tier 1 and White/Green/Blue/Purple missions significantly different. You get the same reward for a Tier 1 white and a Tier 5 White, you get almost the same reward for a Tier 5 White and a Tier 5 Purple.
    Rijacki likes this.
  11. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

12 hr missions are perfect for me. 6 hours are a waste (to me) and the 24 hrs are nice but the xp isnt even twice of the 12 hrs which i find strange.
  12. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Overseer needs to be more engaging. It's just brainlessly choosing the agent the game picks for you for each quest (almost every time.) No strategy at all.
    Raptorjesus5 and Rijacki like this.
  13. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

In a way, the first iteration was better. When they changed it so the possible agents were listed starting with the best choice, it took any "thinking" out of it.

I do wish they'd do more though, like server-wide "raid" events with it, or missions that take longer than 24 hrs that could award better things and aren't just cookie-cutter. Like Send 8 agents out on the mission and the reward quality varies based on the rarity and/or synergy of the agents chosen..

Like sending out 8 Elites could possible grant reward X or sending out 8 Scholars could reward Y, etc...
  14. Zarkdon Augur

Auto overseer. Let me set what type of quests etc I want done, and let the game do it for me.
  15. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

They all need to be reduced at least 1 hr. Should be 5 hr missions, 11 hr missions, 23 hr missions. It would help prevent "time creep" and honestly wouldn't allow for extra missions to be completed.

As for what ones.. I stock up 24 hr ones prior to an expansion release. Then (mostly) I just do 12 hr ones for collection item dispensers. If I need crafting mats, it doesn't matter if I pick 24hr or 6 hr.. It's all about just getting the items wanted after having hit level 5 on all of them.
    Rijacki and Andarriel like this.
  16. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

yea kinda like when they reduced the lotd vet aa.
  17. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

It would be nice if the Holiday/Event Overseer quests would have rewards relating to the holiday/event even if it was the reward for completing them all. For example, in addition to the regular reward, some of the special coin for the holiday/event or special item (like maybe even a placeable something, weapon ornament, mount, etc) related to the holiday/event.(Like, for Frostfell, a candy weapon, a toy soldier merc or metamorph/familiar, a candy mount, a painting of of the goblin Santa, a plushy of a reindeer, etc. LOTS of ideas in EQ2 over the many years.)

I was extremely disappointed when the for the Nights of the Dead was just more of the Overseer coin (T-whatsis). Looking in achievements now, that's all it is for Frostfell, too. Thrilling o_O

Other than to mark off another achievement box, there really is no reason to do the Holiday/Event quests vs the regular. There is absolutely nothing 'fun' or different about them.
    Yinla and Wyre Wintermute like this.
  18. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

I comment that on all of their announcements for "new Overseer seasonal content" :p
    No one needs more Tetrawhatevers.. it's a one-time reward.. not even once per character.. but once per account per server.. make it something fun and relating to the season.
    Rijacki likes this.
  19. Velisaris_MS Augur

The event rewards for Overseer are another case of devs telling the world they have no idea what to do with Overseer without actually telling the world they have no idea what to do with Overseer.
    Rijacki and Wyre Wintermute like this.
  20. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

And, there's no time to do anything special/different for EQ for Events after they've spent all the time and effort adding yet more things for EQ2's version of the Event because it's more "difficult" to do anything for EQ. (I have become increasingly curmudgeonly on this and I've only been back in EQ since mid-2020.)