Rogue DPS Fading Away

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Zandas69, Aug 4, 2022.

1. 666DPSweDeliver Augur

Zerkers will not see any gains compared to necros with the new expansion. The new raid 2HB + new aug is only a 10.5% upgrade, and weapon damage accounts for roughly 50% of our overall dps. The other half of our dps is getting a roughly 6% boost from AA , meaning a total base increase of roughly 8%. At the low end, necros are getting a roughly 4-6% dps upgrade from AA. Here's the problem, 4-6% increase to a based dps # for necros is at worst an equal increase in what zerker's are seeing. The rough comparison since necros do twice as much dps is they are getting the equivalent of 8-12% zerker dps boost. And since 12 thru 8 >= 8, zerkers will at best maintain our standing as half a necro.

Some of the possible changes to some zerker discs that are still being worked could change this, but if all they do is reduce the timer on our main 26 minute reuse disc, we will see almost no change to overall raid dps.
  2. Maedhros High King

I do not agree that necros being twice as much dps as a berserker on a long raid is in any way out of balance.
    Necros SHOULD be the premier dps on long events.
    Berserkers SHOULD be the premier dps on short events.
    On short events berserkers do ok but they are no longer dunking on everyone else like they did a few years ago and I think that's totally fine. Variability is good.
    Its not written anywhere in an official capacity that berserkers should be doing the same dps as necros on long events. I guess we all got used to the fact that berserker sustained was great for a few years and for some reason people thought that made any sense at all when it really doesn't.

I'd like to see the development of the berserker class totally lean into the concept of burst damage, and also make sure that there are 2 or 3 burst raids per expansion.
    We do have to move the goalposts on what burst raids actually are and that means disc and abilities need to adjust to compensate. A burst raid in TDS was like a 1-2 min raid. Today a burst raid is 5-8 mins.
    Top Berserkers are seeing what 4 and occasionally 5 mil dps on their short burst before discs and abilities run out? Double the duration of those abilities.
    Problem solved.
    Sustained dps would benefit as well.
    Would still lose, and SHOULD still lose to necros on long fights, but not as badly.
  3. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

I disagree. The concept of designing a class as burst versus sustained really isn’t interesting or desirable. Classes should be separated as single target, cleave/splash damage (3-5 mobs small range), 5+ AE damage. It gives the dev team more space to work with the class design and event design features.
    Waitwhat, Spacemonkey555 and kizant like this.
  4. kizant Augur

I've been doing some estimates for casters and I'd expect necros are getting 10 to 11% at this point between AAs/worn focus/spells. Just FYI.
  5. 666DPSweDeliver Augur

Which just grows the chasm even more.
    kizant likes this.
  6. 666DPSweDeliver Augur

The challenge with this design is that the devs have completely leaned into making every event but maybe 1 in an expansion a 20+ minute event meaning a guild is better off packing their raid with necros. Being competitive for 1 raid event out of 9 will make most people quit playing that class especially since for a zerker, dps is their one trick pony. The problem isnt that necros are #1, its that #2 is so far down the list, and that gap is only growing.
  7. Spacemonkey555 Augur

8. 666DPSweDeliver Augur

And i disagree with the premise that necros should be the undesputed kings/queens of total damage over the course of an event. All DPS class should be competitive, that is what makes them fun to play and gives them incentive to be played.
  9. Waitwhat Elder

LOL with the "should". I can only again refer to my forum game that when a poster goes with "should", they are failed pretend game designers and I automatically ignore that post.
  10. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Just ask a wizard how there dps is! (btw my wiz is retired to the baz lol) :) They said there is gonna be class balancing hopefully it will fix a bunch of classes.
  11. Vumad Cape Wearer

The state of the game is not a class balance issue. It is a raid design issue. Casters have a much larger area they can avoid incoming damage and need to move much less. Melee are constantly losing DPS due to positioning.

For instance, in the new raid on the bridge, the boss warps. NEC DPS continues when the mob is OOR. Mage DPS begins as soon as the mob is in range. ROG and all melee DPS stagnates until the mob is back in position. Add in an aggro check for being in melee range and the caster can be careless on the aggro and the ROG might have to show some restraint.

ROG is doing well in the group game where they don't have to hold back. The balance issue is not a class issue. It is a problem with event mechanics. Sure, maybe a little class tweak is required, but put something into an event where melee can loot a shielding item and stay permanently in melee range doing damage while casters have to keep moving and you'll see a sudden and significant change in parses.
  12. Pickter New Member

13. demi Augur

just reroll an SK , wouldnt take you long to lvl up a heroic 85 or 100 to 120 gear them out and aug an SK even obtaining the AA wouldnt be too terrible .. especially for one who boxes as you do .. you could prolly get to 120 and gear him within a week , then another week for augs and some aa's .. then finish out the month just getting 20k more aa's ..

not sure what your EQ play time is .. but even only playing 3 to 6 hours a day shouldnt be too bad.. its the clickies that will take the longest to replace .. epic , anniv clickies, anguish BP etc..

If you really want an SK its doable ..
  14. Szilent Augur

he did. that's done.
  15. Tucoh Augur

Rerolling SK during extra life bonus

[IMG]

[IMG]

Gonna need an event that gives a 3x multiplier for tradeskill increases though.