Why is COV Tier 2 kicking my tail?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Heimdall, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Heimdall Elder

Not sure what's going on - setup is 3 box WAR/SHM/BRD with Heal/Rog/Rog mercs - AFAIK the Mercs are max gear (earring, belt, pauldrons/neck Vigilant) and nearly max'ed AAs Missing a damage point and some jolt AA's. Tank CS/CA/ND are maxed for level. Gear is either Waxing Cresent, or Velium Infused (i.e. Faded Velium not COV Faded Restless Velium). Tank even has TOL Blood-soaked 1H'er and a Ogchan's Tower Shield.

Link to tank here:
    Myrmidon Heimdall Azureguardian - 115 Barbarian Warrior [Povar] (magelo.com)

I can tank multiple 115's from a T1 COV zone no problem. Even 1 dark blue mob from a Tier 2 zone can rip through me 2 definitely will.

Initially I thought it was AA's because double XP + 3 of 4 HA's with Achiev bonus XP rocketed me up in levels to 115 and Autogrant stopped giving me AA's. But I re-capped CS/CA/ND among others, and I'm still getting ginsu'ed.
  2. demi Augur

whats your stats .. hp/ac .. are you using sword and board ? are you F2P or gold .. do you have AC augs and stat augs in every slot ? are you using your discs (just asking) ..

NM looking at your Magelo now

just what ive seen on your magelo your stats look low AC isnt too bad but hps is 319k seems low .. and you need some upgrades on few of your augs .. my 116 warrior has 400k hps and 9k ac roughly ..

are your Armor of wisdom AA's max'd .. also there is an AA in archtype that increases durability forget name PE or something i'll have to look on my warrior . all tanks get it .. forget if its autogranted all ranks now or if there is still few ranks that still need to be .. they are like 50AA per rank ..

also there is an AA that you cast once in a zone to help you mitigate some dmg .. you have to recast if you die or zone ..

is your weapon stance on ?

you have an aug in your bracer that has no AC at all .. WTF bro your a warrior lol j/k .. get that replaced asap. some AC is better than NO AC .. heck put a heroic AC aug in there

ya you need to replace like 10+ Augs in your gear minimum ..
  3. Heimdall Elder

Yeah I just went to the Magelo Rankings again too. Its tough to filter the retired raid tanks and the handful of other 115 warriors who are group warriors still leveling like I am.
    Using Sword and Board, including the Style.
    I'm a Subscriber.
    AC+Stat in all slots, some are a little old but not that far looking at the rankings of other 115's
    I'm using Brace, Paragon, Commanding Voice, Battle Leap.
    Using Ultimate Stand does make even the Tier 2 blues somewhat trivial to tank, but that's a lot of cooldown between pulls - and again three Tier 1 115's are easier on me than 2 Tier 2 Blues. Its just weird. I know I'm missing something, but not what which is why I'm asking here.
  4. Szilent Augur

The usual deal is under-using abilities. Sandbagging stuff that should just be used as a regular part of rotation to be tough. Stats could be higher, sure. As you say, you jumped up in levels so the augments & AAs are lagging a bit. But the usual deal is just not clicking enough buttons. For all classes. For warrior in particular, it means having :

all of Commanding Voice,
    Paragon Champion,
    Blade Guardian,
    Brace for Impact always on

a 5 minute rotation of Composite Shielding,
    Finish the Fight, and
    Guardian's Bravery (CoA BP click) going, so that one of those is always on

every 3 minutes, you get a minute of stat boost from Imperator's Command AA

every 7 minutes, you get to debuff enemies for a minute with Spire of the Warlord

putting Roaring Shield (modern BP click) on between Composites, or
    putting Ultimate Stand on between Composites

using Aggravate every 7s to get its shielding Recourse, and
    Shield Splinter every 12s to get *its* shielding Recourse. (when you have a boatload more AA, this one will also make Myrmidon's Synergy for protection)
    Gut Punch every 20s to hopefully get its debuff on the enemies

what may help, too, is a recognition that tier2 of CoV is the highest level content that 115s are intended to tackle. So if you're in group gear and lacking any bits from previous content, it's intended to be challenging. That's not some mirage, and you may not be lacking in skill, you're just doing something designed to be tough for you. First farming CoV tier1 for ore to make Velium Threaded augments, and farming ToV for ore to make Velium Infused augments, and packing on some AA, and maybe going back expansions to pick up loose AA while checking off permanent stat boosts from Hero's Fortitude/Vitality/Resolution, and then seeing what's what in tier2 may be what's called for.
    keel, minimind, Svann2 and 1 other person like this.
  5. demi Augur

the PE i was referring to is physical Enhancement on archtype tab .. 12/12 .. if its not maxed you should max it .. however now they might get all ranks with the autogrant not sure..

Are you using these :
    AA - Blade Guardian
    Disc - Flash of Anger 4m CD
    BP clicky Roaring Shield
    Disc - Composite Shield 5m reuse
    Disc - Cuorageous defense (should always be up ) unless you need something stronger
    Disc - Ultimate Stand ( you know about this one)
    Disc - Finish the Fight (should always be up with multiples)
    Disc - Warriors Rampart ( small disc if needed )
    Disc - 3rd spire (another small mit disc if needed)
    Disc - Armor of relentless (small rune ) last if use at all .. but there if needed

Anguish BP click - Guardians Bravery -- on seperate timer from armor chestplate clicky and adds a decent mitigation buff for 40ish seconds or so ..

dont forget you have a few AA's that can heal you or give you extra hps ..
    warlord's resurgence & warlord's tenacity both heals and tenacity also increases max hps by 55k

blood drinker's coating if you dont have it get it ..

also its a small help , but stat food and tribute help ..

lol Szilent beat me :p
  6. Heimdall Elder

So you're saying Tier 1 TOV is supposed to be done before Tier 2 COV even though it's a later expansion? I would have expected Tier 1 TOV to be at least equal to T2 CoV

Have Blood Drinkers. I do cycle through the Agg/Gut/Knee/Shield/Roar pretty constantly.

Haven't been using Courageous Defense enough. I'm trying to figure that one out too, for a 1:12 duration it lasts the longest 1:12 I've ever seen and I kind of avoided spamming it until I figured out why/what was going on.

I've been using Flash of Anger and Finish the Fight as "Oh S$#t" buttons.

So we're basically expected to have a disc running full time? Either Courageous or Ultimate? That could be most of it.
  7. Szilent Augur

you have those expansions backward. Torment of Velious preceded Claws of Veeshan.

Finish the Fight is a 3 minute buff with 5 minute reuse. Use it.

Courageous Defense is a filler disc, an AC buff whenever you don't have some better disc (Ultimate Stand, or a dps one) running.
    minimind likes this.
  8. chronicler Augur

you have mistake, ToV is b4 CoV, just look at achievements, and there it is.
  9. Heimdall Elder

Ahh you edited some stuff in I missed:
    Currently maxed. All the AC/Avoidance AA's I know of are maxed.

I think you're talking about Battle Leap, its base damage not mitigation, but yeah I use it.
    Yep, I get a little OCD on buff placement, its the second buff in the list, right after Spirit of Tala'tak
    You got me there. For some reason I thought it had AC on it. No idea how I saw that when it isn't there. Maybe it got lost in the shuffle with the Conflagrant paradigm shift away from Cultural.
    I figured 7, not counting the brain frozen Conflagrant, that's everything below the Purple Haze from CoV itself. I'll have to look some more.
  10. demi Augur

Flash of anger has a 4min reuse .. so use it on multiples or an add.. but you dont really have to save it.. if you know your going to have a few on 1 pull use it .. if you know your next pull is a named use it ..

Finish the fight 3m duration 5m CD .. use it often ..

I use Courageous all the time on singles it adds AC if accidentally get multiples or a named i switch to my sword/board hit flash and click off courageous for finish or ultimate .. warriors have plenty of mitigation discs so dont be warry to use them ..
  11. Szilent Augur

Flash of Anger has a 90s reuse. The knight AA Shield Flash has a 4 minute reuse.

Finish the Fight is a buff, not a disc. Ain't gotta click off anything for it.

Switching to your sword/board doesn't do diddly during Ultimate, Ultimate is 45% of the same defense that Defensive Proficiency does 12% of.

Where's me a meme for some no good frontin' knight out here with a dollar store warrior mask on? :rolleyes:
    Tucoh likes this.
  12. demi Augur

you are correct for flash of anger i was reading it off my Disc tab which says its 4min reuse .. but when i click it yes its 90sec ..

finish the fight is a buff , however it is a Disc its found in the disc menu.. its instant cast which is why you do not have to click it off and it winds up going to buff window.

switching to sword/board is req for flash of anger .. you cant use it with 2h, however duel wield is acceptable .. but I get more AC with sword/board which is why i switch to that ..

I dont play a warrior all the time .. however i do play one occasionally .. I play pally mostly , SK next then warrior .. is why my warrior is only 116 ..

also i never said I switch to sword/board to use ultimate i said i switch to use flash .. and for the more AC sword/board offers .. while im using flash i use finish or ultimate it just happens to be while im in my s/b stance .. and I know ultimate disc doesnt stack with weapon stances .. but thx for the reminder..

13. Heimdall Elder

I believe the technical term is Combat Skill. It doesn't go on the timer like disciplines, but it comes from the same Combat Skills area - like Aggravate, Scowl and the like are combat skills but not disciplines.

Well it does, and it doesn't stack. only the damage reduction part (which is smaller than Ultimate) doesn't stack. In theory (if you take the description literally and I haven't drilled down in Lucy yet) the increased chance to block still survives, as does the increased proc chance.

Someone with more time and more EQ math experience than I would have to look at how often Ultimate Stand Effect procs, how often it procs from a potential offhand, compared to -30% Dodge +40% Parry, +10% Block. It's entirely possible -30% Dodge +40% Parry and 150% (Or whatever % Main Hand + Offhand Procs is) ~34K Melee runes (which is basically what Ultimate Stand Effect is) out performs +10% blocks and 100%(Main Hand only) 34K Melee runes. Especially now that offhands are immune to damage shield and riposte.
  14. Tucoh Augur

This is my guess too. Heimdall, Szilent's post is a master class in basic warrior tanking. Your gear/AAs and group makeup are very good. The difficulty in a warrior is all about selection of defensive abilities to keep running in order to survive without running out of defensive abilities and under-utilizing the abilities is as big of a sin as over-using them.

Other things to note:
    • I would recommend only verrry rarely switching to sword/shield. The DPS loss a group with a shm/brd with dual wield is huuuuge and you'll be running out of defensive cooldowns if you're turtling up with a shield for the modest defensive benefits it provides
    • Use the shaman's slow AA abilities (Turgur's Swarm, Turgur's Virulent Swarm)
    • Use the bard's Reckless song in your melody, it provides a significant boost to your incoming healing
    • Don't rely on just your single healer merc, your shaman can help a lot and with boxing brd/war (low actions/minute boxes) you've got enough bandwidth to switch over and spam some heals.
    • Keep Ennui and Frenzied/Fervent Growth up on the tank
    • I have my bard use heal target of target weapons (these things: https://items.eqresource.com/items.php?id=165146 ) to help heal the warrior.
    minimind likes this.
  15. Cadira Augur

Been playing around with a warrior alt who is now 110. This finally gives me the full toolset warriors have at higher levels too (just lower level versions, of course).

Ever since her inception, I've been working on what I believe is the best way to play her at near or actual max level. I wanted to come up with the most powerful way to roll her abilities to try and bridge the gap between the sk I'm used to, and the warrior I'm playing when on her team. I decided, if there was a way to do it, I'd like a one size fits all rotation that puts me at significant levels of mitigation all the time, rather than light protection all the time and save the powerful stuff for a rainy day that might rarely come system that most/all warriors use. Obviously I'm aware sometimes you have to get tricky with missions and other special situations so I don't solely use this system, but I usually do for things like what you're describing and have noticed really good results at lvl 110.

5 min rotation is ....ok, but leaves lots of tools on the table. I usually use what I call the 7 minute rotation (not extremely accurate but close enough) or simply, the Cadira method. Hit each line as the previous fades. Gina or audio triggers help keep you straight.

Dissident shield + coa bp click
    Finish the fight + warrior's xxx
    Xxx stand discipline
    Dissident shield + coa bp click
    Finish the fight
    Roaring shield + blood drinkers coating (specifically tov group bp click, lowest damage threshold + highest damage cap)
    Rinse repeat, 7 minutes in-between dissidents. 14m rotation is prob more accurate but I've always seen it as "dissident followed by two 3min abilities back to back and repeat"

Notes:

Always on: commanding voice, xxx defense disc (unless stand is running), brace for impact, xxx champion disc, blade guardian, dual wield imperators command (can use more selectively if you want but I'm lazy).

Can split coa bp from dissident if you want, save it for rough moments to stack with whatever is going. I just like that it stacks with dissident and has similar duration.

Can split blood drinkers from rs if you want, it's just (usually) one of the weaker abilities in the rotation so nice to stack something with it and they have same uptime and downtime.

Specifically use dissident, lower damage threshold with close damage cap compared to composite that shouldn't fade in group content.

If you need some extra strength, can always use warlords bravery, warlords tenacity, dragonscale glyph, coa bp (can't stack with warlords bravery) - if you don't use it with dissident. Some of these come at a cost so if it's a situation you can just flash, ae malo and ae mez with your friends go that route to save these abilities for tougher situations.

Kind of the jist of what I can remember without being at my computer, maybe it's something you can try along with szilent and tucohs amazing info (as per usual!).
    Tucoh likes this.
  16. Tucoh Augur

Warriors have so many tools that this is the right way to play in most group content. You can really stack mitigation indefinitely and still have enough on reserve to go super saiyin on a bad surprise pull.

Then you get Glyph of Dragonscales and attain ultra instinct.

[IMG]
    minimind and Cadira like this.
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I know you already use Magelo, and not sure if they offer this as well, but you may want to also keep a Raidloot profile for your char. They offer tabular views of your gear and augs, and you can sort those tables by any of the columns. Makes this kind of oversight almost impossible.
    minimind likes this.
  18. Derka Power Ranger

CoV t2 hits like trucks, it was rough back when it was current expansion. Especially ToV it really made my tank buddies work extra hard. Rotate discs and try to avoid multiple mob pulls til you can handle.
  19. Wulfhere Augur

ToV and COV T2 mobs might be the hardest group mobs in the game to tank. They have perhaps the highest accuracy, strikethrough, and heroic strikethrough ever. If you're not doing progression, achievements, or hunting augs well then I would skip these zones entirely.

SOL mobs are not so extremely over tuned.
    minimind likes this.
  20. Wulfhere Augur

Yah and precede that with Lively Crescendo to provide a (possibly crit heal) HME pulse every 30s.

Stacking Pulse and Chorus adds 1.5k+ regen too. Use the heal aura (typically folks use haste/dmg aura) for another 760+ heal tick. Leaning the bard more towards a survival posture might get you over the hump.