Non-Normie box group

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Treiln, Nov 29, 2022.

1. Treiln Augur

So I kinda sorta ditched my Paladin after making my Beastlord and been in love with it ever since.

I know the typical go to box is a Bard for a Beastlord. Or possibly even a Mage.

But I was thinking...how well would a Necromancer work out? I haven't really played one in about 15 years, but remember it being a blast. And as a caster I can set 85% of the game play for the Necro up on socials/macros while focusing on the BST to get maximum DPS (alt-tabber).

Thoughts?
  2. code-zero Augur

A Necro/Paladin duo would be better
  3. Treiln Augur

Yeah I understand the synergy of those two, and I may revisit that. But I'd like to focus on the Beastlord and get caught up going into the next expansion (currently 109.5). Once I go through all of NoS's progression and group content, I may go back and start leveling up the Paladin again.

But right now I'm curious about Beast / Necro :)
  4. Loup Garou De loop de loop

My Beastlord is kinda standoffish and doesn't seem to like my Enchanter or Ranger.

Necro was going to be the next one I made to see if he preferred that. So I think that's 2 of us there!!

And I retired my Pally too. Talk about a diva! Geeze.
    Treiln likes this.
  5. Iven Antonius Bayle

Just play them, it will work well. As the BST is mana hungry it could be even a synergy beside melee haste.
    Treiln likes this.
  6. Treiln Augur

Well remember that week where mercs got broken when that 200% bonus came out? Well at that same time, I broke into level 95 and was doing HA's and there's the bug where they scale to the highest standard of that level range. So 95-100 went from HoT difficulty to VoA difficulty and my Paladin wasn't quite equipped to handle that spike, especially with broken mercs. So couldn't do anything with a dps merc, and a healer merc wasn't doing anything either and it was a pain in the butt trying to deal with the idea tanking 2-3 reds to dying to 2-3 blues/whites over night.

So got retired for a pet class lol
  7. Treiln Augur

Gonna have to take the Necro out into the wild and get learned up on him again so I can at least stand a chance and do something in the event the BST goes down.

My biggest issue is being able to go through content a bit faster. It's fine with the Beastlord and a Healer merc, but I'm certain adding another DPS + dps merc will go through content fast enough to make up for the exp sharing.
  8. demi Augur

my pally has no problem self healing thru ToV thru ToL trash mobs .. using a dps merc helps speed things along ..
    pally is the way to go .. pally / bst / necro

if you enjoy the bst so much there is always 3 boxing ..

eventually you will find a name or mission/task that your bst pet wont be able to handle ..
  9. Treiln Augur

So I did enjoy my Paladin, but the frustration that came with the broken mercs caused me to bench it for a bit, and during that time I've really enjoyed my Beastlord so I'm just trying to focus on that.

And I have 3 boxed in the past, but trying to stay away from that for now. Keep it at 2 for awhile. And if the Paladin and Beastlord weren't on the same account I'd give that a go. But my problem is trying to gear the tank to be able to tackle the content he's going into. And Paladin molo is just slow for me.
  10. demi Augur

I agree it can be slow with pally at times .. and I feel your frustration with boxing more than 2 toons , however there are a few advantages with having 3 toons ..

1st and foremost advantage is having 3 mercs ++ there ..
    2nd advantage is having the ability to drop a campfire
    3rd advantage is it doesnt cost you much more to run 3 accounts as it does 2..
    2 of the accounts can be F2P for the most part .. true at some point you should buy a krono and sub them for a month for the AA usage, but I would wait till at least 110 to 115 for that.. sense F2P is lvl 115 just lvl them up to max F2P range then sub a krono select autogrant get as much aa's for that month then drop em back down to F2P .. your main toon can be 120 and sub'd and have the Journeyman healer merc or whichever you choose..

TL;DR - if your going to box 2 you might as well box 3..
  11. Tucoh Augur

bst + nec isn't a bad combo. Both classes are in a pretty good state right now. Beastlords benefit modestly from a necro and vice versa.

There aren't many 2boxes that don't have bards that wouldn't benefit a lot from throwing a bard on there, for the reasons demi said and because bards provide a lot for very little, especially for any class with DoTs like a nec/bst.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  12. Treiln Augur

So given I go 3 and go BST/Nec/Bard, which would be the last one you’d boost with the Krono? I currently have a second account being paid for that I’m letting the son play on (game is a bit “dated” for his likes), that I can start earning AAs while they level
  13. demi Augur

well first.. dont know why it show's my name in the quote you reply'd to ^ as that was Tucoh's response not mine..

but i'll respond :p as bst and necro rely heavily on AA's they would be the first to get boosted and bard would be last .. Bst would be my main and prolly the account i would sub all the time .. then necro then bard as needed ..
  14. Vumad Cape Wearer

DoT classes are harder to box efficiently than non-box classes because of the different timing on DoTs it can be hard to setup a single social to refresh them.

But what really matters is not how optimal the group is but rather how much you enjoy playing the game.
  15. Cicelee Augur

I guess I don't understand the fascination with players wanting the most optimal efficient duo/trio/group you can have where everything is flawless and seamless and easy mode. Some of the most fun and exciting situations in the game is doing things that is not normal/optimal regardless of how well the classes mesh.

You want to play beastlord and necromancer? Go for it. Who cares if class A is better for the beastlord or class B is better for the necro. What really matters is your happiness.
    demi likes this.
  16. Treiln Augur

My minder too. Bard already gets a huge boost due to gear, whereas spell damage for the Necro is going to come from AAs

Nah you just start with the 1:42, 1:30, 1:12 and then your fast DoTs and nukes on a separate one (if you okay that way ;) )

Not ideal; but it’s not the worst either.

Well, as you can see by my options, not exactly “optimal”. I’m looking more for fun (yes I know that’s subjective). I don’t mind a hectic play style, but the idea of trying to box (while being an alt tabber mind you) a rogue, Zerker, and monk together just doesn’t sound that fun as they’d all 3 need about the same attention and do relatively the same things.

A melee fighter with pet enhancers and fast nukes coupled with a DoT caster with plenty of DPS and trucks up his sleeves
  17. chungus Journeyman

Actually a pretty good combo, beast will take longer to kill solo, but a Necro will speed things up really fast, the beast pet never dies if it has pet aas and heal aas. I really only like mages if there are 2 of them, though they are really good anyway I suppose.

Don't use fast dots, with the dot revamps they are basically useless.
  18. Tucoh Augur

Bard. If the only thing the bard did was sit there and play melody it'd still be pretty decent.

But it'll be a lot more fun, imo, to have all chars subbed if you're actively playing.
    Treiln and code-zero like this.
  19. Tucoh Augur

My brother in Christ, do you not box a mage/bard?
  20. Cicelee Augur

I do. But the reason why I chose bard is because I specifically wanted a class that could single pull mobs to me and one where I did not have to spend time during an encounter on. I debated between bard and ranger for a very very very long time, and I do have some regrets about not going ranger. In the end, I did feel comfortable with ranger indoor pulling and that is why I went bard.

The OP is asking a box recommendation based on what is considered fun, not what is most effective and efficient. The title even alludes to "non normal". When I see that, then it doesn't matter what we think- just what the OP thinks.