Hunter Achievements, Old Zones, & Rare Bonus

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kalela, Nov 14, 2022.

1. MustardonWatermelon Elder

Burynai cutter is definitely not worth the time investment. It's the sort of thing they really should just change at this point.
  2. Koutarou_E'ci Elder

Can add the CoV version of ToV to the list of recent zones where the rare bonus is broken:
    Nearly every named mob there is a triggered instant spawn on death of a PH mob, and the PH mobs are not getting the spawn bonuses.
  3. Trebla7th Augur

There is an extensive analysis of the Burynai Cutter spawn on Zam: Burynai Cutter :: Bestiary :: EverQuest :: ZAM (allakhazam.com)

Included are numerous spawn points (you can't just camp a spawn spot, there's too many)

Note that Ngreth confirmed that he is a 1% spawn on a single PH here: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/burynai-cutter.270200/#post-3969687 Also implying that this is the intended original rarity, even if it's stupid.

Iksar Dakoit is probably the easiest of the rares because the PH *always* (??) spawns near Kaesora and will path into the pit on the north ramp by Kaesora. You can just set up there and watch for it.

Jaggedpine is definitely the worse zone of the two, between the roamers and the unresistable underwater fear that ports you across the zone... Ugh. I'll give honorable mention to Twilight Sea because the PHs seem to get stuck under the world so it can only reasonably be hunted after a server reboot.
  4. zarcal Elder

If the Devs decide to look at this, for the love of Bertoxx, please check: Hergnan the Malefactor in Pellucid Caverns, check to see if he is up, 10 hrs at the Fungal Forgest zone line and nothing. Only Hunter i have left for the first 3 tiers of this expansion.
  5. Izzard of Bertox Augur

Easy mode indeed; the cynicism is strong with this one. Jagged pine is the ONLY zone I haven’t competed yet. As a non-tracker, it’s not just hard, it’s torturous. To those who’ve finished this zone, congratulations. I’m down to 3 remaining MOBs.
    Nennius likes this.
  6. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

seems suicidal without a tracker it was like someone was running around sk trying to run into quillmanine. Down to 3 nice hopefully u got goldentalon already most have probs spawning that rare tree i didnt just gotta be killing in the right area.
  7. Velisaris_MS Augur

Honestly, I can't even imagine trying to do hunter achivements without a tracker. I just finished SoL hunter, with Hollowshade being the last zone I completed. The roaming placeholders/named were popping on top of the trees and not moving, so the only way to even see them was to get up higher if possible and run around, checking treetops. It would have been an absolute nightmare if my toon didn't have tracking.
  8. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I suspect many of these spawn rates were determined at a time when many people were still hunting in these areas. It does seem a bit silly (to camp them) with such a hugely divergent time spent vs reward granted (achievement points).

Probably worth looking into permanently increasing spawn rates on pre-luclin rares.
    Bernel likes this.
  9. Mossaa Augur

I so agree on the suicidal part. I had that issue years back, then I did make a ranger and my life did become so much better. I would also say that you can do them in raid format and all will get updates. It is what we did for the most part when we did the first huge batch of old hunters. We had a raid going for months with people joining and dropping from the raid due to their playtime to clear out the named mobs.
  10. Petalonyx Augur

Just did it without a tracker. And, it was a multi-week absolute nightmare, indeed, hehe!
  11. Mossaa Augur

Did you do current expansion or did you do all the old expansions where hunter got added a few years back?
  12. Covfefe New Member

i got cutter and the other 2 on east side of map over the bonus within 20hours. Scaled Prowler was my downfall. Got the 4m50s PH locked down on west side of map and killed it for 30-40 combined hours over a few days and he never popped. Attemped Carrion Queen too but could never single out a PH for her. I pulled entire pit several times but nothing seemed to spawn at a different interval.
  13. MustardonWatermelon Elder

Yikes. I have definitely done long camps like that, so I say this from a place of brotherhood...

Did you feel only a brief moment of "yes, finally!" followed immediately by shame and regret afterwards?
  14. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Kill bonecrawlers to spawn shredders queen spawns off those and if you run out of crawlers just kill other mobs and crawlers will spawn but shredders always spawn off bonecrawlers. What i did and without the rare bonus.
  15. Thunderkiks Augur

Mine are all done and I also did them all, I didn't join hunter raids =) To say it was a lot of work is an understatement hehe
    Andarriel likes this.
  16. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

yea ive heard ppl doing raids and doing sk and such but to me doesnt seem right i like to do stuff myself. Always nice finishing a expansion. Also nice finishing a tough zone and 10 seconds later your looking at which one is next lol. Oh well hunters have kept me playing the game along with achievements.
    Thunderkiks likes this.
  17. Thunderkiks Augur

Donest seem right to me either so I just dont join them. My server does them and I either move elsewhere or come bac later. Like Sverag, had to wait a while for that zone to be empty. Then I did it, took 21 long days to complete it all. I dont knock those that do the hunter raids, just not my style. Like you I like to do my stuff.
    Andarriel likes this.
  18. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Im taking it sverag is real hard? Its like 60 achievement points which is kinda insane for one zone.
  19. Covfefe New Member

Thanks i'll give that a shot
    Andarriel likes this.
  20. Petalonyx Augur

Sverag was my last to complete. It's both hard and easy. It took me 6 months of near daily camping the zone to complete it when i first did it (hard). If you get a bugged version where all the named spawn, it's not bad (took me two days to get all but one named in Sverag when i did it with a second crew during a bonus event - easy). Now i know to just look for certain bugged state versions if i work on Sverag hunter. Sverag faction swapping is frustrating and as i understand it, impossible to control. That mechanic can make it hard, but not impossible. The zone can apparently bug out in your favor OR in a way that blocks certain named spawning (= impossible to complete), and then you need to wait for zone resets/patches.