Why does Sitting not Increase the Endurance Regen Rate?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Brontus, Nov 17, 2022.

1. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Sitting is an important mechanic in EverQuest. Sitting makes your more vulnerable to attacks from mobs than standing. Sitting increases both your health and mana combat regeneration rate. Strangely enough, sitting has no effect on the endurance regeneration rate which is puzzling. Try it out for yourself in EQ and you'lll see that sitting gives you the exact same endurance regen rate as does standing.

I know from personal experience working out at a gym that I recover much faster if I sit between reps and workout stations, than if I stand. It takes more effort and expends more endurance to stand than it does to sit. By sitting I recover faster and get my workout done faster.

An additional point is that when a player is in motion (walking or running) you lose one point of Endurance regeneration compared to your standing or sitting endurance regen rate. This makes perfect sense as walking or running expends more energy than standing or sitting. But the fact that you do not gain an an additional point of endurance regen rate by sitting comparted to standing makes no sense.

As a warrior who has tanked for raids, I found myself continually running out of endurance because warrior combat abilities (like the various levels of advanced taunts) expend endurance points faster then I can naturally regenerate them.

Solution: Players that sit should be rewarded with regeneration endurance faster than those who stand. At the very least, sitting should give the player one additional point of endurance regeneration per tick than standing.

[IMG]
    Wdor, Iven, Bobbybick and 2 others like this.
  2. Sissruukk Rogue One

Not sure what you are getting at. A character, who is out of combat mode, will regen endurance at a quick rate as compared to standing/running. If you are in a raid, however, your combat timer is something like 5 minutes, so even sitting doesn't generate much endurance regen until your combat timer is up. In fact, after combat, we are always reminding people to sit so they can regen mana and endurance.

So, not sure if you are wanting to sit when the tank swaps in combat to regen endurance or what it is you are looking for. I know for rogues we have two methods of regening endurance in combat: Breather and Night's Calming. Breather, if we can pull off an escape, is the better route, but if not, Night's Calming works, just at a sacrifice of a lot of melee speed. I am not sure if warriors get anything like these abilities.
  3. Repthor Augur

Warrs get same abiltys. And we generaly dont care about the downside of nights claming due to how warrs work. Warrs should be the last melee to compline about endurence compared to our melee brothers n sisters
  4. Elyssanda Bardbrain

bards get nothing to regen endurance.. it would be nice if we did, especially on raids
  5. Treiln Augur

Because sitting allows lactic acid to seep into the muscles faster, that’s why! ;)
    Herf and Svann2 like this.
  6. The real Sandaormo Augur

As a Warrior you really only need a tick or 2 of Nights Calming to get back into a fight and be effective. Even with 0 endurance there are things to use if you need to pop up and tank. By the time rez effects wear off you should be good to go.
  7. Soulbanshee Augur

Bards will get nothing and like it!
    Flatchy, Annastasya and Herf like this.
  8. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Asking for more mana/endurance regen is a trap. If they increase regen, they will increase ability costs to match.
  9. Herf Augur

Now I'm nostalgic for the old days when End was used in swimming, and running out could result in drowning. That and the old end buffs: "Zing me!"
    Elyssanda, Silvena and Tatanka like this.
  10. Silvena *poke*

Acumen!
    Herf likes this.
  11. 666DPSweDeliver Augur

1 more endurance regen from sitting? Seriously? We have hundreds of thousand for an endurance pool and you think 1 more endurance per tick is worth any effort by a dev? Hard pass. There are plenty of AA and combat skills out there to support regaining endurance.
  12. Elyssanda Bardbrain

Not for all classes that need them
    Silvena likes this.
  13. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Simple answer: it was decided when Endurance was introduced that regeneration of it would be handed out extremely sparingly. Ability costs have inflated far beyond regeneration for many classes because that same, outdated, idea is maintained.
    Elyssanda and Brontus like this.
  14. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Effort by a dev? You mean the one minute that it would take to open up a database and change the number? Give me a break.

This inconsistency affects warriors from day one on TLP servers and on live servers.

This issue is about principle, consistency, and common sense. I believe those things still matter. I hope the devs believe this as well.
  15. FranktheBank Augur

Currently "resting" endurance regen is just having attack off. It's actually a better option than sitting. Also, due to this being Vet Lounge... just use the endurance regen discs lol. If you are running out of endurance, you are being penalized for playing poorly.
  16. Annastasya Augur

Still have the spell in my spell book, and by Innoruuk, as soon as i hit level 255 i will be able to directly increase your endurance bar.
    Stymie, Brontus and Herf like this.
  17. Bigstomp Augur

And people in your gym are casting fireballs and stuff right? Just so we know we're comparing apples to apples.
  18. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Reality is the basis for all fantasy. Fantasy is not the basis for reality. When in doubt, reality trumps fantasy. Every good game designer knows this.

Humanoids in high to low fantasy realms still need to eat, sleep, rest, etc. Fantasy is not an excuse to justify inconsistent mechanics that are a result of developer oversights.

From the beginning, the EQ developers have made sitting an important mechanic. Sitting provides the player with many benefits and a few risks. If sitting increases your mana and health regeneration, it stands to reason that sitting would also increase your endurance regeneration rate regardless of what universe you inhabit.
    Raytan likes this.
  19. Laronk Augur

Also in real life "To increase strength and power, the best rest period is 2-5 minutes between sets."

In game if you get out of combat, you can sit and be full endurance in 3 minutes.
    Waring_McMarrin, Gialana and Raytan like this.
  20. Gialana Augur

3 minutes on Earth is 1 hour on Norrath, though.
    Mostly kidding