PLEASE PLEASE fix overseer lag

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Seamus, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Seamus Journeyman

Yesterday I completed a rare recruit overseer quest. It was a critical success and the reward was 2 rare agents and 3 random Common agents. Then I selected my reward and...I waited...and waited...and waited. My screen was frozen almost 5 full minutes. This is not isolated but anytime I accept a reward that includes new agents. And many others in game have the same issue. Starting a quest is almost as bad. It can take over a minute after hitting the "Start Quest" button. And finally - forget about doing conversions. It should take 10 seconds, but I can go make a pizza and come back before the screen unfreezes. So I have over a 1500 agents now because I don't have hours and hours to sit through conversions, and I can barely use overseer at all because I don't have hours and hours to start and finish quests. Surely by the year 2022 this doesn't have to be an issue.
    Arial, Mukkul, Strumph and 2 others like this.
  2. Metanis Bad Company

I've managed to keep my agent count around 900 and while Overseer is usable it's still unpleasant waiting and waiting for things to refresh.
    Seamus likes this.
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

When I got my agent count into the 500's I saw an observable drop in lag. One of my utterly unfounded fears is that an achievement for lots of agents will be announced. :)
    alanus, Seamus, Strumph and 1 other person like this.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

So I again sync'd my clock, checked my overseer agent count (449) and when I do a conversion it is taking 1 minute and 45 sec.

One 3 characters when I open overseer it freezes the screen for a good 3 minutes and he has few agents than the first one. But other characters open right up. And those it is freezing on have fewer house and bag items if they are going to pull that bunny out of the hat again.

And now mail service is not working right - seems to me like there is an issue with the certain game features making full connections to the main server.
    Seamus likes this.
  5. Seamus Journeyman

Just collected the reward for "Recruit Workers". The reward was 4 random Overseer Agents. I started my timer and hit "Select Option" - 5 minutes, 52 seconds later the screen unfroze and I got the message "You have successfully been granted your reward for: Recruit Workers"
  6. Bernel Augur

Does anyone know the specific reason why there is so much lag when people have lots of agents? 1000+ agents may seem like a lot, but it's a relatively small amount compared to the amount of computing that normally goes on in EQ. It doesn't seem like the amount of agents people have should cause 5+ minute lags.
    Seamus likes this.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

But its not always because of the amount of agents. As above with less than 500 there is bad lag. Just in Overseer. Its like the server reaches out to the Overseer server and its not responding for a few minutes while it checks the source or if its safe or something.
    Seamus likes this.
  8. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Lag wont go down til u get rid of all your angents by converting i had over 1700 on one account and it was so sluggish til i converted down. They need a mass convert button took along time sadly.
  9. kizant Augur

Is there a benefit to having a lot of agents? I hate clutter so have never gone above 70 but then I just kinda blindly do overseer to get collection item dispensers.
  10. Seamus Journeyman

And how does one do that when a single conversion freezes the screen for 2 minutes? That means to convert 1,000 agents, the computer would be frozen for over 30 hours. And someone would have to be present for those 30 hours to start a new conversion every 2 minutes. Not gonna happen.

So if converting is no longer an option, and doing regular quests is not really an option, then overseer is broken and unusable by many people.
    Mukkul and Loup Garou like this.
  11. alanus Augur

It'd be nice to have a mass convert option... instead of 3:1 at a time, you could do like 15:3 or something
  12. Velisaris_MS Augur

Not really.

There's zero reason to have multiples of iconic agents, since you can only "use" one at a time; if an iconic agent is questing/incapacitated, then the extra copies become useless. It may be of some benefit to keep an extra copy or two of non-iconic agents, since you can use as many of those as you need and can use extras when one is out of action.

If you already have all of the agents, I would advise to convert as many as you can to elites, retire the dupes and use the echoes to max out each of the OS categories. Holding on to extras for conversions is moot now since it appears that any new agents are going to be acquired via the event quests.

If you have all the agents and are maxxed out on OS categories (like I am on all 3 accounts), just up convert any extras, retire, and throw the echoes into the bank because they serve no purpose any longer.
    Stymie, Metanis and kizant like this.
  13. Stymie Pendragon

Just realized this was in the bug report section. Comment removed.
  14. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yea after i converted i ended up retiring 110 or so elites into echo's but yea they need a better way to convert seems like it would be easier on the servers if there was a mass convert instead of doing the lame and slow 3 at a time. It needs to be fixed.
  15. Jumbur Improved Familiar

They could also improve how new agents are earned, so that you would never get an iconic agent duplicate.

Or maybe make a button that retired all duplicate iconic agents and returned some tetradrachms as payment.