Randomized Raid Mechanics

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by IheartEQ, Oct 29, 2022.

1. IheartEQ Lorekeeper

2. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

By mechanics do you mean abilities/spells for the first 4-5 expansions or are we talking like engaging Vox with CT mechanics would cause all the goblins to rush towards them? You could probably randomize their abilities but most dragon AEs are pretty similar as it is.

While an interesting idea I don't think there are enough unique actual encounter mechanics prior to Gates that you could really switch around without it just being more awkward than interesting. And once you get into actual mechanics many of them rely on geometry design or zone-specific things and wouldn't really be applicable for a random NPC to inherit.
  3. TheRealMuramx Elder

this would be interesting, but it would have to be completely random. So, if one guild enters an AoC for Naggy and he has the Spiroc Lords abilities, but a 2nd guild enters the AoC 5 mins later and they get CT's that would be fun. People would have to be locked to that encounter with those abilities to prevent people from dropping it, letting it reset because they didn't kill anything until they got something easy.

But it would be rough. Because you couldn't clear out a zone because of Respawns (planes have those long respawns) So if you got CT and everything in the zone came after you.... that would be insane trying to handle everything, they would have to adjust it so it only summons so many things at a certian distance.
    IheartEQ likes this.
  4. Mossaa Augur

Wonder when the stupid TLP ideas stop, so send it to the graveyard
    Brildon likes this.
  5. IheartEQ Lorekeeper

6. Hdizzle Augur

Make the timers for all the ae's and Dt's random.

Its like creating an obstacle course, using only 3 orange cones and someone as yourself saying, "we need to make this more challenging". There's only 3 cones in these early expacs. MoTM and such only made the cones a little taller and wider, the obstacle course is still easy.

There is no fix for fatigue. I haven't played on a server in classic since Riz. Prior was Mangler and RF before that. That means since the year 2014 I have raided classic 3 times... I'm not nearly as fatigued with it. IDK if I'd ever reroll again; but I would need to freshen up on some early stuff because I don't play that era 24/7 every year.

So for what its worth, there's nothing really to fix in the classic game; let the era breathe and become more fresh for you.
  7. Xhartor Augur

That be great, you go to fight naggy, but have to deal with Lethar mechanics.
  8. Windance Augur

While I admit this idea would be interesting there is likely no practical way to implement it using the EQ code base.

At best you could reskin the encounter so you use a different mob graphic like putting randomized gods in place of Lethar and his buddies.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The best way to annoy raiders is taking a winnable raid and making it randomly unwinnable thanks to rng.
    Appren, Brildon and Mithra like this.
  10. Mithra Augur

vertigo, anyone?
    Xhartor and Roxas MM like this.
  11. Ythera Augur

We got a little taste of this on Thornblade, when one of the raid bosses randomly had two weapons and was dual wielding and hit faster, or when it was loaded with resist magic gear, or when the praesertum in Luclin had the divine hammer of consternation and kept going invulnerable repeatedly.
    Roxas MM likes this.
  12. TheTone Elder

13. Enuen Journeyman

It would be more entertaining to RNG raid boss locations.
    You gather friends and swim down to Phinny, only to find Nagafen floating in his place. Your raid powers through Sky to reach the Eye but instead find Lady Nev.
    Now that would make me chuckle.
  14. jeskola pheerie

I like it if it's in addition to their normal mechanics.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Is this a new spin on the "where are the Burning Woods this week?" joke?

Randomised raids is a terrible idea, about the only time this idea may have a small amount of merit is a special holiday event for Bristlebane day where you get a raid that has been script-switched with another raid & you have to figure out as you go along, if you fail the script is switched again, only the Boss & every single add are all Bristlebane clones.
    Nennius likes this.
  16. IheartEQ Lorekeeper

17. Captain Video Augur

If you want more varied raid mechanics, play farther into the game.
  18. error Augur

I mean, randomized raid mechanics wouldn't even make sense at all after the first few expansions when fights become more and more scripted. And realistically what kind of gameplay would this result in? Probably just sending in a sacrificial tank with DA to try to determine which random boss script you're up against so you can prepare for the real attempt, possibly a lot of dropping and grabbing new DZs until you get good rng.
  19. Xhartor Augur

I would assume the person presenting this idea has never played that far into EQ, and probably won't ever. They just recycle with each new TLP, so the idea of the game using complex script, isn't a problem they consider.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Very easy to counter that & have the game switch it so you never get what you think you just got