Origin without origin point set.

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by phattoni, Oct 26, 2022.

1. phattoni Augur

will cause your toon to become unplayable till you force quit the game through task manager.

i have a toon that has no origin point, when i origin, it locks me out of the toon.

it does not zone anywhere, it casts origin then just locks you out of toon.

easily fixable by setting a default origin point for people, mine used to be oggok, but sometime around crescent reach unlock my toon got bugged and his origin point was set to NULL.

dont ask me why i didnt file this bug report for years.

i will file a petition to get it fixed, but i cant figure out how lol.... i used to file petitions with the p key in game, now it doesnt open the petition system, it opens a website.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Petitions need to be filed on the main site.

Go to support up on the top bar. Select "home" form the drop. On that next screen in upper right is "Contact Support"

Next screen it wants you to log in. Do so

Next screen you will see
    Submit a request

with a drop down. The best one for you in this case would be "I need help with my in game character....

Finish off with a brief description of what is going on. I would mention this changed when Cresent Reach came out as there is a bug with that so they should recognize it and be able to fix your origin back to what you want. Make sure you mention what you want your origin to be.

Watch your mail for a response soon. It might give you a list of things to do to solve your issue which is usually not related to anything. And then it will ask if you want to keep the ticket open. Make sure you respond yes if you still want it open.

The old command for accounts that got caught up in the Crescent Reach free account origin bug was: /setstartcity but that only worked one time per account and have not heard of it working recently.
    Gialana likes this.
  3. phattoni Augur

thanks a ton man, that was indeed the command, i just needed to get flagged to use it, the petition took less than 12 hours.

i was afraid to petition at first because i read horror stories on the forums about it, but it went 100% smooth and was done extremely quick, i was expecting a week just to get a reply, but it was less than 2 hours.
    Stymie, code-zero and CatsPaws like this.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

This is excellent!! So glad you got this resolved and so fast!!
  5. phattoni Augur

do you have any information on how that happened? it was around the free to play release, and my char has been bugged ever since, his original origin was oggok, but i noticed sometime around 2016 that his origin was indeed NULL, i couldnt figure out why my origin would just lock my char up.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

It was a bug that happened when they released Free to Play. All new free to play accounts had the Origin set to Cresent Reach since it was the new starting city. They did not allow them to select a starting city. And still don't. Now days if you want a specific Origin/starting city then you need to go in as an All Access account and set that during character creation.

Part of the free release was they reconfigured old accounts that were not active as "Silver". This allowed those accounts to have a little more benefits than a new free account but less than an All Access account. It was kinda like a "thank you" for having paid for EQ in the past and most of all you got to keep your characters.

Unfortunately, when they assigned the "Silver" status it carried over the origin change from that coding because Silver accounts in essence are free accounts. You do not pay for Silver. So the system thought it was one of the new free to play accounts.

Many old accounts got caught up in the snafu and reported it and that is when they came out with the /setstartcity fix. But that stopped working after a few years. I believe around 2015 or 16 they attempted a game patch to fix the origin issue and that is what likely dumped more errors on yours to the point of the "null" and lockup. Most folks just had the starting city set to Cresent Reach.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Not just set to null, my zerkers origin is now North Karana, which is just weird, as that has never been a starting city, but the gypsies are cool with it, so so am I. :)
    Mukkul likes this.
  8. phattoni Augur

NOW that is interesting LOL, i knew the gypsy camp was considered a bind location, i had no idea you could set origin to a bind location though, so thats cool...

this sort of baffles me because the account in question was made in early 2004, the char was made march 21st or so in 2004, his origin was fine for the longest time, till crescent reach became the standard. then his origin went from oggok to null. why it didnt switch to crescent reach or something is odd, the account has never been really free to play, but at the time of the crescent reach release i think i was playing another game so technically it was free to play at one point.
  9. Mukkul Augur

Did that char ever switch to a different account? Wondering if that might be a contributing factor.
  10. phattoni Augur

no its always been on that account, it was literally the first char i made on that account, i played it for a year then was talked into playing a cleric and put him on the bench till around seeds of destruction or so.
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

It the F2P bug. And as a bug it can show itself as null or reset to Cresent Reach or any odd city.

Its not likely you would find this happening in any new account made since F2P came out in 2012. Those all will have either Cresent Reach or whatever home city they picked when creating the character.
  12. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

It isn't a F2P thing. It has been in game and around since Cresent Reach was introduced. Prior to that the game just used your class/race/deity to decide your origin point. But with CR's introduction they had to specify the starting city so that the game would know where to send people. I am not sure how the OP missed the messages on pop ups about needing to use /setstartcity back when CR came out. It was up there for a long time before and after TSS released; the command would allow a player to choose either CR or one of the other starting cities for their race/class (I forget if deity mattered). The command was around for the longest time, though they might have eventually removed or restricted it.
    That is weird. I wonder if some kind of overflow happened and your bind got set to that for some reason. Maybe using some kind of bind clicky while having start city set to null, since melee couldn't normally bind themselves?
    As I mentioned above when CR was introduced and for at least a few years if not longer after, /setstartcity command was added and provided a way for people to set their start city if the game did not register it or if the person wanted it changed to CR, but it was a 1 time flag to do so. All characters created around the release of TSS and after have their start city set on creation. Older characters didn't but were supposed to have been set at some point in time to either CR or the starting city that their race/class/diety fit. So this was mostly addressed in the past when it was originally happening, a few bugged though. But back even before TSS released, everytime you logged in for a long while there was a message saying to use the /setstartcity command. I want to say that there was even a pop up about doing it as well, but that could be wrong. Eventually they removed the ability for players to do the /setstartcity command at will. But you could petition to have it set to allow you to change it. Not sure if the GMs don't just set it for you not or how they do it.
  13. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

It is both. It started with CR but later when F2P was offered it messed up the origins for when players started bringing back their old accounts that were coded as Free, but had Silver status, then it reset origins to CR
  14. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Know several that came back when F2P and only do it as F2P none had that happen. Weird.