Most impactful class over the ages

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kalipto, Oct 18, 2022.

1. Ultrazen Augur

I've been 3-6 boxing every possible combo for god knows how many years now, because I found it really fun trying out different lineups. I've come to the conclusion that the three classes I don't want to be without in a group are SK/SHA/BRD. Anything beyond that is just quality of life stuff like ports or CoH. You can plug any DPS into that group and be great, my current favorite 4 box is that trio + a monk. You could probably really narrow that down to just SHA/BRD, because any of the tanks will be just fine in that group, I just prefer the utility of the SK for group stuff.

For the single mostest bestest, it's hard to argue with either bard or shaman, and I hate being in or running a group without those two in it, but if I had to pick one it would probably be Shaman. They are great in every era, and just make grouping so much easier, especially post 70ish.
  2. Shillingworth Augur

I would argue we absolutely can carry a group. Played a paladin since 2002 and I have done almost every single group role. Very rarely am I not tanking in a group setting. Sometimes I'm also the main healer. Pulling was absolutely huge for me to become not just effective but good starting around LDoN on forward, before then it was just lull and be wary of assist radius (lulls just reduce that radius). Curing has rarely been a real need in groups until I got into TBM group content where it became much more important to have my splash at ready. Crowd control is one that is often overlooked about us, Shackles both cast and refresh quickly, easy to break with a nuke or if no nukes are landing a dispel. When we are at the top of our game, we absolutely can carry a group with the versatility our class affords us. Just can't expect to win in a DPS race, but at least we'll cross that finish line.
    Kalipto likes this.
  3. Arkanny Augur

I have to jump on the bardwagon here. A well played bard will make a good group fly.
  4. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Feels like every other role can have a different same-archtype class swapped in with only marginal change in group dynamic, but having a bard vs not having a bard is the most noticeable.
    Elyssanda and code-zero like this.
  5. Iven the Lunatic

The healer merc. Cleric if you want so because it is the backbone of each grp and can deal negative DPS (heals) way better than any DPS class can deal damage.
  6. FranktheBank Augur

I could absolutely clear ToL raids with 0 clerics if all the clerics were shaman.
    menown likes this.
  7. code-zero Augur

I have to say that "jack of all trades" is not a good description of the Bard class.
    Bards are a force multiplier even when just a melody box, which BTW is a terrible misuse of their capability
  8. Cuuthbert Augur

There are 2 classes in EQ really --- Bard and Groupies.... (insert tank Here) (insert healer here)(insert DPS here) but nothing can replace all what the bard brings to the group
    code-zero likes this.
  9. Kalipto Augur

Yeah, that's a much better description. Because they're not the jack of all trades by a long shot. They can't heal, tank, or dps they can only make others do those things better. If the people they're helping are bad at doing those things, the bard can't make up the difference. Adding 500 pts of damage to a 4000 damage nuke doesn't help if the wizard hardly casts.

I think bard is the answer to the title of this post, which is why we're getting so many bard replies. They impact a group more than any other class. I don't think its the answer to the body of the post though. They don't carry a group. With a few exceptions, there isn't much a group couldn't still do without a bard and just one more dps in it's place.
    code-zero likes this.
  10. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Warrior /thread
    This class has carried so many raids it ain't even funny. Progression would be impossible without these unsung meatshields. All hail sidescrollin, invis droppin, first to engage and first to die warriors!
    Joules_Bianchi and Kalipto like this.
  11. Handstuff New Member

For carrying in group content, I would have to go with SK, personally. A great SK can turn a bad group into an okay/good group most of the time.

Honorable mention to Shaman.
  12. Svann2 The Magnificent

Sometimes the warrior is the guy that keeps the event alive while the rest of the raid gets ressed back in!
  13. Iven the Lunatic

Rezzed and healed by the cleric. The warrior is a nobody without a healer and only a puppet of the cleric when they do come together. When being directly compared to the warrior the cleric would always win:
    • It can tank and survive better because of heals and buffs
    • It can create more aggro because of heals
    • It has CC by the Root and Atone spell lines
    • It can pull single mobs with the Lull spell line
    • At lower levels it can even do more DPS because of (vs Undead) DD and AoE nukes
  14. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

For like 90% of my EQ play in groups, there were no bards in group and in raids there were never bards in my group (Main heal).

Pretty much every major loot I DKPed was tanked by warriors and the rare SHD MT

oh and +1 for "Unsung" by bards trying to cop all the glory for themselves.
    Deux likes this.
  15. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

I'll also add, no raidguild is prioritizing bards UNTIL they have main tanks, DPS and heals sorted out. For a bard to be a "Force Mutiplier", well, first you have to have...

A FORCE.

Maybe all these classes want a bard to preen their parses, but without a main tank, we're going nowhere.
    Deux likes this.
  16. code-zero Augur

There are 3 tank classes
    Pick one

There are 3 priest classes
    Pick one

etc....

You named roles but the question was class
    Nennius likes this.
  17. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Regardless of who's main tanking the raid, it matters not. Bring all the bards you want. Raid's not happening without main tank and a healer.

<Every> raid guild I have been in has had warrior main tank(s) as lead and in some spaces SHD/PAL in rotation or for scertain mechanics, like a hramshiled break in.

<Never> have I seen a raid called because there weren't enough bards in attendance.
  18. Antasirras New Member

My necro can kill 6-9 sarnaks at a time in Frontier Mountains without breaking a sweat. Been that way for a long time, now that she's 120 and fully raid geared, it's a complete joke.
  19. code-zero Augur

Simple question, which tank class is the most impactful?