More PvP enabled areas

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by uberkingkong, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Brontus EQ Player Activist

False. Automated crews are set up to farm, they are not set up to attack other players. Attacking other players would be a waste of time for them as they would lose revenue. The farmers don't think the way normal players thing. To them EQ is a job. There is no return on investment for exacting revenge for them.

If I got KSed I would gladly pay platinum for automated crews of mercenaries to exact revenge on anyone that messed with me. Allowing full PVP and training others would allow victims of in-game harassments to exact in-game justice. The current system favors the criminals and marginalizes the victims.
  2. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Well said! The most common fallacy committed on these forums is the "it's a waste of time for the devs."

The white knights do not speak for the devs. Until an actual dev says it's a waste of time, take everything the naysayers say with a grain of salt.

The usual suspects riding their white horses trot out this nonsense every time to try to win arguments and protect the status quo. They want to manufacture consent. They don't want anyone to upset their virtual apple cart. The Tall Poppy syndrome is alive and well on these forums. Don't fall for it and don't give in to them.

I'd love for EQ to have PVP zones. I'll go one step further, I think Norrath should have 2 factions: good and evil just like WoW did with the Alliance and the Horde. The fact that trolls who are the sworn enemy of dwarves can group with dwarves and vice versa makes no sense from a lore perspective.
  3. Brontus EQ Player Activist

I agree that there is lots to be done. When I start seeing a smidgen of evidence that Darkpaw is making an attempt to fix outstanding issues I will believe you. From what I see, all they care about is pumping out more cookie cutter expansions and getting another contribution credit on the MobyGames video game database.

I think a business case could be made for soft PVP in EverQuest with factions like Blizzard did with WoW with safe newbie zones and contested zones You had the Alliance and the Horde. Each had various races aligned to each faction. That change alone could revitalize the EQ franchise and put it on the map.

The problem is that the forums are not the most effective place to do business pitches to Darkpaw. I honestly think that most of what is discussed here is not being evaluated by the powers that be. I'm not even sure that Darkpaw has anyone that has the clout to make a big change like this. Right now the EQ franchise business plan is on auto-pilot: make more expansions, make more TLP servers. Rinse and repeat.
  4. Protocol Dragon Defender

Except FV was the most populous live server and RZ is the least populous live server.
    Skuz and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  5. Magician9001 Augur

Brekt was a also free trade server it actually had like 6 people that played on it. So as you can see clearly Free Trade would never work on a TLP, if it would why did Brekt get merged. Checkmate Fiona Vie worshiper.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You would pay the same people that are doing the ks'ing to deal with themselves? They would be happy to automate both sides to make more money.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The devs have said multiple times that they need to see a demand for a PvP server otherwise there is no reason to do it. What that is basically saying is it is a waste of time unless you can prove there is enough of a player base for a PvP server.
    TheRealMuramx, code-zero and Skuz like this.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Brekt wasn't the only free trade server and it had other rules that made it special beside free trade.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I used the exact same argument myself prior to Mischief being launched & showing that Brekt was not the counter point I thought it was, so I was wrong, as are you.
    There is room for FV & a single Free-Trade TLP & not much more than that, and in fairness is might be that Free-Trade is not even the big selling-point for any of those 3 servers, it is the other stuff on those servers.

Meanwhile Zek is the smallest pop live server & the "event" arranged by the "PvP bois" - which also got a mention in the fairly popular "Massively OP" blog along with reddit, Twitter & Facebook campaigns fell flat on its face & managed to gather a showing on zek of about 25 players & their boxes.

A huge chunk of the enthusiasm for a PvP TLP seems to be based on a mythical "build it & they will come" mindset, a mindset that is absolutely doomed to failure because it is absolutely a myth that there is a large PVP community out there interested in EQ.

It is a persistent delusion, but as a player who enjoys RvR (playing Return of Reckoning lately) I would like to see an EverQuest RvR style element to the game, I am simply realistic enough to understand that without 1500 or so people showing up the devs would be wasting their time & EQ has nothing close to that in game or out.
    code-zero likes this.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

So let me get this right...

1. You cynically think Darkpaw are doing too little to address the issues that affect thousands

and yet...

2. You geniunely think they have scope to work in some PvP content for a tiny handful of players given that whole system has been ignored for well over a decade?

That is nonsense.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  11. Magician9001 Augur

Issues like being a World PVP only game with instanced group content.
    Like having to PvE for 300 hours to get enough Gear and XP to actually PvP.
    Like having 1000s of zones so people are spread out so much that they rarely come into contact to PvP.

It's a rhetorical point. Just because Brekt was unpopular doesn't mean a TLP with free trade would also be unpopular. Using but Zek isn't popular as an argument for why a PVP wouldn't be popular is the same thing. Zek just isn't like a PvP TLP.

You can make up all the lies about 25 people showing up all you want, they still aren't true and you look bad for posting comments like this.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Nobody could prove otherwise then, and they cannot do so now, the fact that the folks organising the meeting fabricated evidence of a higher server turnout than actually took place to try and support their case only compounded their failure when it was debunked.

I was hoping the numbers would be good, but they were not, better luck next time.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Those same issues will exist soon enough in a new TLP server and they have said again and again what is needed for them to consider one.
    Skuz likes this.
  14. Magician9001 Augur

If by soon you mean 2 years after it's released and sold thousands of 40s bags, 10s of thousands of XP pots, thousands of store mounts, thousands of vanity items and 1000s of subs for 24 months straight. I mean sure. But how is that different then any other TLP?

Rent free.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That would only be the case if players decided to go to that server and there is no evidence to suggest that based on the low population on all existing PvP servers and the lack of ability to get people to come to an event to show interest in one.
    Skuz likes this.
  16. JeffHanson Augur

Eight pages of mean-spirited argument about a thing that has zero chance of happening...
  17. HekkHekkHekk Augur

Reminds me of the forum posts requesting a Free-trade tlp.
  18. Treeconix Elder

Imagine thinking a PvP server will draw in thousands of subs. What a romanticized version of reality you live in.
    Skuz likes this.
  19. Quik Augur

The moment they make any zone a PvP zone on a server I play is the day I cancel my account and move on, not counting arena and such and that is an out of the way place you never need to enter except for PvP specifically.

I don't like PvP, I don't want PvP. Flag for it if you want and see if anyone else does and knock yourself out.

Leave my PvE server's alone.

I have no issues with them making a PvP TLP at all, but stop advocating that they add PvP to my PvE server.
    Skuz, Waring_McMarrin and Appren like this.
  20. Elemtal Lorekeeper

First off if its a TLP pvp server it would be introduced as a PVP server. You have the option to play or not play this isn't something that would be forced on a preexisting server.

Next thing, your servers? So you are claiming that every server is your own and you play every server excluding Zek? Just another person making no sense contradicting himself with 0 context to the actual thread.