More PvP enabled areas

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by uberkingkong, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That doesn't change the fact that there are still lots of problems with PvP and that most people do not appear to want to take part in it given the low population of the one PvP server that we have. Get people to show that there is a demand and you would get more traction on your requests. There is no reason to spend limited dev time on things that most players do not want.
  2. Magician9001 Augur

Seeing a lot of boxers always crying about even the idea of a PvP server, it's weird it's like they know how bad a PvP server would be bad for toxic boxers yet at the same time they act like they would run the server. Cognitive dissonance is strong with them as always.

Rallos Zek was the most popular server in the eras TLPs are the most popular.

EQ is PvP is balanced well for most of the expansions before OoW which is why a lot of people want one but don't play on Zek.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I am saying there is a big difference between cheating on a PvP server when it causes players to be killed and unable to play and the same on a PvE server where there is no interaction between the two groups. In both cases the cheating needs to be stopped but it has a different impact on a PvP and PvE server. The many threads we have seen over the years talking about people who get killed by cheaters on Zek is evidence of that.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Was it the most popular at that era? Not sure if I remember it that way and all of the PvP servers got merged into a single one in 2005. Not to mention that there have been many changes to the game since that time and those changes also apply to the TLP servers.

No matter how you look at it the devs have said there needs to be a proven demand for a PvP server before they will think about making a PvP TLP server.
  5. Pops Racer Olde Faht

Just because there are "problems" doesn't mean it is not fun, and fun is why we play games.

There are problems with many things in EQ, just open any post on the forums, you will find plenty. But we still play. It is still fun.

I agree most people do not want to play on a PVP server - that is why there is only one of them. The demand for that experience is low. I don;t like it either, which is why I don't play on it. I did, however, love team PvP, which is a much different experience.

By implementing a team PvP zone (or zones) with missions or goals on Live servers, we will see if there is a demand or not. Give folks a chance to try it.
  6. Elemental Augur

Everquest wants to recreate the classic experience, PVP was a very vital part of Everquest hence the introduction of Best of the Best tournaments.

400+ Player PVP battle on Red99 server, where nobody can box. So many players that had been pvping you can see it crashes my connection.

There are many many players that enjoy experiencing classic content and want to experience classic PVP content. No balance is needed, and people would play at their own risk. Classic VZ/TZ/RZ rules apply which allowed training so customer service would be hands off. If someone dies due to purchasing an item on a character that's part of EQ and that is also the reason why you cant even PVP on characters before lvl 6.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If PvP wasn't one of the most (if not most) unpopular servers in the game you might have a point but that is the truth and even an event designed to show that people wanted PvP didn't draw many people. PvP is great in some games but it has lots of issues in EQ.
  8. code-zero Augur

Why is it that PvP advocates frequently sound like they're trash talking you in /general? I first noticed that when I pointed out that the devs had told everyone in no uncertain terms what was necessary to convince them that there was interest in PvP. As far as I can see there are no PvP fans who have any real interest in a PvP TLP, or maybe they just don't want to go on Zek where people who actually do EQ PvP could school them on it
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Do you have anything to back this up? Everything I have heard in the past says otherwise and 400 players isn't enough to make a TLP server work.
  10. Elemental Augur

400 Players in a single pvp fight. Just press play, the videos are imbedded.
  11. Elemental Augur

Here is another large scale PVP fight complete with audio.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Sure is easy to claim numbers from a video when it is very hard to prove them. What I am seeing on the p99 wiki is that it is saying the red PvP server normally averages under 50 players on it while the green server hits over 1000.
    Pictarous likes this.
  13. Elemental Augur

Take a look at the date that I uploaded that video. Having a server stuck in velious gets very boring and players don't enjoy a locked expansion pvp server.
  14. IheartEQ Elder

15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I keep seeing people claim how popular EQ PvP would be yet every example of a PvP server that I can find has low population and doesn't attract anywhere near the amount of players that other servers do. All anyone has ever asked is for the PvP population to show that there is an actual demand for PvP. It doesn't do any good to make claims of how popular it would be when even an event that was designed to show it didn't draw in many people.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

None of that will show the devs that there is a demand for PvP in EQ as they need to see a demand now and not 10+ years ago.
    Skuz and code-zero like this.
  17. uberkingkong Augur

Yes this is what I'm saying before people hijacked the thread. Also a lot of people double, triple posting against this, take your grudge somewhere else. It's like they trying to make it seem really bad by double, triple posting naysay.

1. They already have mechanic where they can literally drag and drop a PvP enabled area. Goto freeport, head towards Devastion, yes you have to go through the arena, that tiny area, thats PvP enabled.

Do the PvP enabled in places like cyclopes island.
    PvP enabled in places like Lower Guk /Sup camp area.
    PvP enabled in giant hill too.

Same mechanic as Arenas, like Freeport Arena, PvP is enabled, its already a mechanic that is written. Copy/Pasta it, it doesn't take much effort to do. Unlike "fix lag". Every game has a "fix lag" issue.

If your so against PvP, don't go to those spots, theres really no reason you should ever be there unless your at end game (or with someone whose at end game and PLing you because they farming anyways) farming for plat/kronos.

2. Runescape is known as a PvE game, it has PvP enabled in the right places, this is something the original designers would have wanted too, because the Good vs Evil vs Neutral setting, they were setting up this game for PvP. RuneScape is older than EQ and its doing better. It has PvP enabled areas. World of Warcraft is #1 and its because of Open World PvP servers.

Won't get anything accomplished with naysayers spamming double posts triple posts negative feedback without open mind. Ex. Page 3 is like 80% same people double/triple posting to make it feel like its very bad.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Pointing out that people don't want PvP in any zone or areas of zones where they play is not derailing the thread. If they wanted PvP they would be playing on a PvP server and not a PvE server. I think you are going to find even less support for PvP areas on a server then you would a full PvP server as it gets confusing very quickly where you can and can't safely hunt.
    Skuz and Appren like this.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I like "RvR" a lot while "PvP" is a mug's game in an MMO where there is little to no structure & dedicated design around the PvP which was always EQ's big Achillies-heel.

I have been playing on the Return of Reckoning server & while I haven't done a lot of RvR there recently since I also enjoy the quests chain in that game the few scenarios I have played have been really fun, a whole lot more fun than any PvP I ever saw in EQ.

EQ PvP is pretty terrible at a fundamental level, it was an afterthought never part of the original design, and the game shows it, that PvP ever happened in EQ is somewhat remarkable given how bad it really is.

If you want player versus player content, there are simply a bazillion better options out there outside EQ & these all pretty much guarantee it's never going to be possible for EQ to revitalise its PvP because it's simply not worth the cost required to make it work well enough to encourage players back & at a competitive level to those other options.
  20. uberkingkong Augur

Like I said before, certain zones certain parts of the zone PvP enabled areas.
    People keep coming here thinking talking about a PvP server.

Original EQ is pretty balanced PvP. The zones I'm mentioning are in the OG zones.
    Same old complaints every TLP, so maybe the next TLP, Cyclopes island in OT thats PvP enabled. Giant hill thats also PvP enabled.Lower Guk /Sup camp thats pvp enabled.

All those spots what they have in common? People at max lvl farming plat/kronos.
    It's not someplace where people having nostolgia.
    I'm pretty sure people back then don't remember EQ 20 years ago from farming ancient cyclopes. Thats a thing people do nowdays because they know what its for and thats how you get kronos.

Someone complained about sleeper gets woken on day 1. Well, have Sleeper's Tomb be a PvP enabled zone.