Disconnecting constantly while multi boxing

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by lcarns2, Oct 13, 2022.

1. lcarns2 New Member

Good morning,

I'm playing on Mischief with 4 characters. 1 tank, 1 melee and 2 supports. I have the 3 on auto follow and my rotation is pretty simple. Attack with the tank, turn around and attack with the melee DPS then heal & support with the other 2.

On the SK I bind my mouse's side button to a hot button that rotates my hate spells and then I also dual bound it to the hotbutton my epic is sitting in.

My opening rotation is also pretty simple. Engage with tank, click attack hotbutton on DPS, heal hotbutton on healer, debuff hotbutton rotation on support caster. I've been doing this for months without issue.

2 days ago I started to get disconnected in MPG on all my characters. I didn't play yesterday, then today I logged in to kill a few mobs before work & kids woke up and I can't seem to stay connected.

I can kill 3-6 mobs then everyone gets disconnected.

I did submit a support ticket. Looking for any constructive ideas from the community on what could be causing this? I'm using 4 different computers. 3 are on wifi, 1 is ethernet. I'm on AT&T 1 gig fiber, so bandwidth isn't a problem. My wifi network is an Asus Zen Wifi Max 6 mesh network with 3 access points.

My tank is on the gaming PC I typically use. My melee DPS is on my laptop. The other 2 run on lower end HP thin computers I bought off Amazon for about 200 bucks. They run the game just fine for what I do.

Appreciate any feedback, thanks!
  2. Demetri Augur

You probably got faster on hitting the sequence of engage keys versus previously and it's reading them like you're using something to broadcast keystrokes to multiple machines from one.

When I box, I keep all my keyboards distant from each other, so I've got a natural 1 sec or so human delay switching between them and it's still imperfect.
  3. lcarns2 New Member

I definitely have. MPG has gotten easier to kill in, and I'm more familiar with the keys, so the rotation is becoming muscle memory at this point. I haven't gone exping in a while, but was doing some while the exp bonus is out and before the new expansion drops. So I was just doing some relaxing AA farming (I actually dislike stressful high challenge areas, LOL).

I slowed down on my opening attacks/spells and I also unbound my mouse key from more than 1 hotbutton and it seems to have helped. I managed to stay connected for over 30 minutes this morning.

It sucks now having this anxiety hovering over me every time I start fighting a mob wondering if the game is going to kick me off this time or not. Is this fast too fast? It's super jarring to just be fighting mobs then DISCONNECTED on every monitor. :(
  4. SoandsoForumUser Augur

It's their truebox code, hitting the same key at the same time on multiple computers will result in you getting the boot. Some people seem to get it worse than others, I run 6 and don't think I've ever had a disconnect due to it. General advice is to try changing your spam/engage keys to be different across the machines.
  5. Lineater Augur

This doesn't sound like the truebox thing, unless all their characters are getting disconnected at the exact same time.

I have had a similar issue arise recently. But fortunately it's only happening with 1 machine. I also 4-box on Mischief. Within the last two-wish weeks, I have had a connection issue with one of my laptops. It's my oldest machine (2009 Dell) hard wired with ethernet. I've used this machine to play EQ for about four years now with no issues. But recently it's been lagging out and getting disconnected at random times. Just last night I lagged out during a raid, and it took like 10 min before I could reconnect, get that "kick yourself out" message, and log back in.

It does sound like some kind of server-side issue has popped up recently. Other people in my guild have been commenting about lag.
  6. lcarns2 New Member

Thanks for your comments and attempt to help! Disconnect at the EXACT same time is what's happening. I've also had some issues with Mischief lag, but like you said for yours, it happens on 1 character not others. I'll notice the lag meter at the top left start to tick down then it jumps back to 100% then tick down, then back to 100%.

I haven't had that happen recently. Although 2 days ago our MPG instance did crash for everyone that was in it. So originally when this happened, I thought the zone had crashed again. But when I logged in and asked in /shout people said they were still in.

I will try moving the hot buttons around. I put my opening/engage routine on hot bar #1 button #2 on each computer so I would remember which button to push. I didn't know there was something built into the system to detect and kick people off for this. It seems like such a hostile way to treat players after intentionally building a server where multiple computers are required.
  7. Karanthal Augur

Are your hot buttons for assist macros or multi bind "mash" buttons? I find I can only have a mash button on one box (my monk) and have to use assist macros on my shammy and zerker for discs. If I setup a mash button on the zerker I get trueboxed constantly regardless of which key I bind it to. Macros are slower and more of a pain to manage, just something to live with I guess.
  8. Demetri Augur

Same key doesn't matter from what I've seen - all three boxes that I run use NumPadEnter for a nice large key to hit for each. (As well as my autofollow key for them all being NumPadZero for the same reason)
  9. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I had the same issue. Some times it does not matter even if you slow yourself up. I have gotten around the problem by VPNing my two laptops to different servers. It's annoying as , but until they fix it it is what it is.