More PvP enabled areas

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by uberkingkong, Oct 11, 2022.

1. uberkingkong Augur

I'd like more areas PvP enabled.

PoR, if your going to devastation you have to go through the Arena, sometimes their are campers waiting to take out unsuspecting raid forces running through the zone.

I'd like to see this on a larger scale.
    Think of it like Runescape's wilderness.

One zone I'd recommend turning PvP enabled, Ocean of Tears
    Perfect zone name for pvp enabling zone.
    Perfect loot, everyone wants jboots.
    Every casual TLP people complain about botters/boxers. Well this is a zone they like to attend, good way to get back at them.

I'd like to see more PvP enabled areas in spots going towards raids, have some competition between the raid guilds on the server. A feeling of purpose again.

Think about the original creaters of EQ. They were still around during the Freeport revamp. Why would they put the arena in the only way to get to devastation? Player interaction. Good guys bad guys.

Game needs balance, everyone is good it doesn't work that well.

If we going to keep EQ going and not work on EQ3, then go back and think about "what were the original designers EQ thinking" "why did they put that there" "why is this in game"

Need some serious deep thinking about what the original designers vision for this game was.

If you are going against everything from the original designers vision, then make EQ3. Because 20 years from now, this wont feel like an EQ game with all the opposite direction of vision from what the game originally was seen as.
    Brontus, Shakara and Magician9001 like this.
  2. Svann2 The Magnificent

You have all of the Zek server.
    ForumBoss, Ileasa and Wyre Wintermute like this.
  3. Lumiens Augur

Is that a TLP server?
    Wyre Wintermute and Magician9001 like this.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There is a reason why there is only a single PvP server and trying to force it on people who don't want to take part is a bad idea.
  5. Svann2 The Magnificent

Oh sorry, I didnt bother reading to halfway down his message where he first mentioned TLP.
    edit: and woops didnt notice this was in the tlp forum. Good luck with that.
    Ileasa likes this.
  6. uberkingkong Augur

Not full fledged PvP server, I'm thinking, mainly PvE but some zones will be considered PvP enabled or some areas at least.

Say cyclopes island in Ocean of Tears, have that be PvP enabled area.
    Emerald Jungle would be a fun PvP enabled zonewide zone.

Have to think about the original design of EQ, the original visionaries were still with the company when they revamped Freeport, they put PvP enabled arena in the way to Devastaion.
    Magician9001 likes this.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The Song that I think best sums up the efforts of all of the EQ PvP players* to get more PvP into EQ:

Making more zones PvP enabled is just going to be more dead zones 99.99% of players avoid like Ebola is there, it's a terrible idea that is simply a complete & utter waste of dev-time & energy.

IF EverQuest ever decides to put some PvP back into the game a fun way to do it might be with instanced PvP matches, take the largely unused Shroud system/monster mission ideas & repurpose them into a fun PvP 3-sided death-match or sports-event. Like Warhammer Age of Reckoning Scenarios or SWTOR Huttball. (this would probably need to be cross-server enabled to have a chance at having enough players to make it work).

But honestly, even the instanced death-match/sports idea is not going to have the widest appeal among EQ players, PVP fanatics simply will not see that this game was never about them even if it for a short time catered to them on a tiny handful of servers, the PvP folks left in droves and never came back, they probably never will.

*all 20 of them
    Ileasa, Wyre Wintermute and Appren like this.
  8. Appren Gnomercy

How about no?
    Ileasa and Wyre Wintermute like this.
  9. code-zero Augur

I don't know why some people have the persistent fantasy that "if we only had PvP we could take care of those pesky botters".

Automated crews would shred you to pieces in PvP and camp your corpse. Everything that makes them unfair in PvE goes up by an order of magnitude if you try to PvP with them
    Ileasa and Wyre Wintermute like this.
  10. Magician9001 Augur

Same reason the there used to only be one free trade server. Clearly a free trade TLP would never work. We need Phinny 9 or the next Selo/Vaniki to fail miserable next go around.
    IheartEQ likes this.
  11. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Yeah.. I don't get this either.. if you can't out-DPS them on a named mob or even trash mob.. what in tarnation makes you think you'll survive vs them in PvP?

The CS dept doesn't get paid enough to deal with the headache this would unleash.
    Ileasa, Waring_McMarrin and code-zero like this.
  12. IheartEQ Lorekeeper

13. Magician9001 Augur

Because fighting Lord Djarn can be fought with one button so it's just who has better classes.
    Fighting 6 players can't be done with 1 button. Even 80 IQ brainlets will stomp botters.
    IheartEQ likes this.
  14. IheartEQ Lorekeeper

15. code-zero Augur

All of the things that you posted here demonstrate to me that you've never actually seen even a single 6 character automated team much less a genuine raid of them in action. You won't beat them. Those things are a problem for CS to handle.
    Ileasa likes this.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It doesn't matter how you try to phrase it EQ players don't want a PvP server.

Comparing one of the most popular servers to one of the most unpopular servers doesn't help your case. Not to mention the many complaints of PvP being unbalanced and the number of cheaters who do play.

If EQ had more balanced PvP and a decent amount of players on the only PvP server it might be different but as it is the server seems to be hanging on only because they don't want to merge it into another server.
    Ileasa likes this.
  17. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

So the community is in fact, very small? When they were supposed to come together to literally be counted to gauge interest...it was underwhelming. Perhaps they require the desired space prior to coming together, a chicken-and-egg dilemma? Maybe many feared it was a setup?
  18. mark Augur

No thank you i hate pvp in everquest plenty of other games to do pvp in.
    Ileasa likes this.
  19. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Show me on the bad boy calendar how many years ago the 'ganker' touched you.
    :rolleyes:
  20. Elemental Augur

History has shown us that there isn't enough interest to support two new TLP servers at launch look at Vaniki. Might as well launch one server PVP and one server normal would make the DEV's life so much easier as these servers are already unregulated by support staff and the PVP coding is already in place. If you want to add item loot or pvp merchants that might take a day or two of work from the developers. You cater to the TLP community anyways why not cater to the PVP community that has been neglected for the past what 16 years?