Can we get EQ3 but without this

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by uberkingkong, Oct 5, 2022.

1. Zunnoab Augur

You just described Final Fantasy XIV.

I'm not bashing EverQuest, just if EQ wasn't here that's where I'd be. Well I'm not sure if it counts as twitch combat. That's a matter of perspective. EQ has some moving around and such too.
  2. Celephane Augur

That, by definition, is a new game. This is EverQuest.
  3. Svann2 The Magnificent

Its not twitch but its just next door to that. Missions are dance-dance-revolution. If you wait to react to what the boss does youre too late. You have to know the script and move before he does.
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Keep in mind that new content is likely made with better tools than the original remakes, some of them were "pre-TSS" era iirc. The quality of tools have a lot of influence over zone-quality...

Especially Freeport has a problem with "mono-texturing", but DBG has been bad with city zones for almost 2 decades(they just copy-paste the same 4 buildings everywhere :( ). Original Freeport had unique buildings everywhere.
    Xanathol and Arkanny like this.
  5. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

The fist thing I notice is just haqw many more things an EQ player gets.

Look at all those AA buttons and spell gems.

I GOT OPTIONS BABY!!!!!

In WoW you get tossed from a raidguild if you cast your 3 spells in the wrong order by their opinion.
    every class gets the same sequence of dps, CC and interrupt. It's all rote mechanics.

EQ mobs have multiple resist types and abilities. If fire spells resist, well here, have some chromatics.

Of course the UI is cleaner, there's so much less to put on it.

PS good luck kiting mobs with a 20 meter leash to camp. /yawn

Forced playstyle is forced. (and dumbing down in anticipation of console platforming.)
    code-zero, Rijacki and Syylke_EMarr like this.
  6. uberkingkong Augur

The modern games they steer away from too many options.
    Too complicated, not easy for people to return to the game, not easy for newplayers.

I'm a returning paladin.
    Whats that ability or AA that does a lot of damage, nuke and does something else. Can't remember, I see like 15 other AAs and a ton of combat abilities, can't find it. Screw it playing without it till I remember.

Well too much setup to do, feel like all this setup is work, 20 AAs I need to put somewhere, all these combat abilities I have to look at. Macros I have to setup. Ugh work.

Go back to another game, like Guild Wars 2. yep I remember warriors abilities, yep I remember this and that. Its already setup. Template build save, already there. I'm ready to return no setup required. Jump back into the game like 1 2 3.

EQ, yeah I'm not looking forward to the setup when returning, thats a good hour of tedious work. Ugh.

EQ needs a modern UI. Where I can jump back into the game like 1 2 3.

EQ I know when I come back to the game, the UI layout of all the windows is going to be awful and I have to move everything around. Everyone has that vibe. All these AAs have to relearn remember and so on. Yep everyone has those vibes.

More options in this case, not good.
    Heard of the saying "less is more"? In this case its true.

EQ knows less is better and thats how it is. How do I know? Shaman spells, cast this one spell it does 3 DoTs in one.
    Unity AA, casts all your self buffs in 1.

No one likes having all these tedious options, "oh i have option to cast this self buff1, this self buff 2, this self buff 8" options!!! Nope that's tedious.

Less is more
    I'm not retired, I don't have all day to work on setup. Younger generation, doesn't want to work all day on setup either. This is information era, too much information, people want to go straight to the point, they have too much information to cipher through already. Ciphering through all that information is tedious and people are more aware of time spent.
    I don't have time for this.
    Need an EQ3, EQ is good lore and everything, but very time consuming and its outdated, if it can be less time consuming and modern, this would be very good game. very popular game.

Less time consuming does not mean easy, it means less time consumed on setup, having to learn everything and so on. Not many options, more straight to the point.
    Dre. likes this.
  7. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

EQ has the illusion of choice, very few spells and abilities have value to use.
    Dre. and kizant like this.
  8. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

On raids casters prefer druid skin and cleric symbol vs Aegoism line for a reason.

WoW doesn't even HAVE long term buffs (which is also a social thing....buffing in PoK / Lobby and making friends). Everquest is a MUCH deeper and more challenging game.

Even on a level 100 heroic, open alt advancement window and select [can activate] on the pulldown. Thaere's all your activateable hotkeys. Melee classes also gat tomes, found on the Combat Ability window.

Takes all of 10 minutes and that was with no layout to start with on a freshly restored PC.

Anyone alse gains those abilities one level at a time and isn't suddenly overwhelmed with all those options. If you play through the levels and add one ability at a time, it's more sensible.

Of course learning ALL the abilities of a Heroic has a learrning curve, but then hey, that 30 or so minutes is MUCH faster than actually playing the character. You seem too lazy for even that time investment in an MMO.

I play PC games because PC actually supports complexity. I play console games when I don't want to pay that much attention to detail. EQ would be a lousy arcade game.

Oh and as for "Noone likes..."
    1) don't speak for me or others, you are wrong.
    2) check out the EQ techno weenies in class forum discussions who have spent 20 years discussing class mechanics, spell stacking orders and so on. There is even a current thread on the intricacies of double invising. The level to which EQ players break down raw data is astounding.

Yeah, EQ has a learning curve. We like it that way. If you expect ANYTHING in Everquest to be lickety-split 1-2-3 for you, you are soooo in the wrong game.
    Shanarias and cadres like this.
  9. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

EQ really isn’t much deeper or complex than WoW. There’s a lot of useless abilities and spells that could be phased out. There’s no strategy to gearing like other RPGs, it’s just generic gear. The burn rotations have been set for the last 7 years,so there’s no real debate around those. Mobs in EQ generally don’t have mechanics and you can run past with invisibility. You get some mechanics in missions and raids, but they’re simple.

EQ is the lazy person game.
  10. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

I also play ESO It is fun, but nowhere nearly as engaing as EQ.A whole 5 abilities on front bar 5 on back and an ultimate. People tell you specifically the ONLY order to cast in or get angry at you. It's also dreadfully timegated in some ways. Mount speed takes like a year to max out and forget about crafting. It takes 2 years to max. Talk about not having time.... The last ring I researched took 10 days.
  11. cadres Augur

Just curious....
    Why does it matter so much to the OP what age the people he plays with are?
    I've played with ppl aged 17 to 70+ in the last week alone, but mostly I've no idea what age guldies/others are (altho folk I've seen around for 20 years aren't likely to be 17.. ;) )
    code-zero likes this.
  12. Iven Antonius Bayle

Holly and Jonathan both left the company shortly after that announcement so the chances for EQ3 are low or it will be something weird like an action MMO for kids. Development time for an impressive successor would be about 5-10 years and it doesn't seem that Team Darkpaw has that manpower.
  13. Svann2 The Magnificent

Maybe a saturday morning cartoon.
  14. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Wonder-Quest powers activate!

But seriously on topic.

Can we get EQ3? We can't even get EQ1 any more!
  15. Dre. Altoholic

If our choice is eternal public beta vs vaporware, that's an easy choice.
  16. kizant Augur

Pretty much. The only difficult part with EQ is a lot of the details are hidden or work differently than advertised.

Plus it's much easier to get away with playing poorly. That's why you don't see strict enforcement of optimal play styles. Some people will even play for years and perform 1/3 as well as they could be while thinking their experts at the game. You don't really see that elsewhere and it really doesn't slow you down much.
    Dre., Marton and Celephane like this.
  17. Iven Antonius Bayle

It is a strenght of the game that players can choose their play speed and difficulty on their own. There is content for nearly everyone until EoK where opponents do become more challenging and easy alternatives do start lacking.
    Dre. likes this.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You can do that in most other MMO's as well and they offer a greater range of it as well since that choice is present in all content and doesn't just fade out as things get more difficult.
  19. Blarghest New Member

EQ 3 is called Pantheon. If/when it launches.
    Chikkin and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  20. Zunnoab Augur

The next Vanguard?
    kizant likes this.