hello, sorry for the off-topic question

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Rezenguk, Oct 4, 2022.

1. Rezenguk New Member

can anyone redirect me to an off-topic forum, it seems all the old websites i used turned into private group sites or are collapsing lol, it'd be nice to have a forum layout and simplicity (bbc forum)? such as this one, thanks. gaming related. or eq or similair .
  2. Svann2 The Magnificent

reddit?
  3. Strawberry Augur

There are imo 2 categories of forums.

Category 1, forums where status (karma) and heavy-handed moderation are the norm. These forums either require you to farm Karma before you can post a thread or require a special invite. These sites are all about upvotes and status. I don't like these sites because they greatly restrict freedom of speech because not every poster has the same rights, but to each their own.

examples: Reddit, ResetEra, NEOGAF etc.

Category 2, old-school forums where you can basically post threads immediately after registering and where you don't need to "farm status".

examples: IGN Boards, WoW off-topic forums, Steam forums, etc
  4. Rykio New Member

You don't have "freedom of speech" on the property of others.
    Ozon, minimind, Duder and 1 other person like this.
  5. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

The only one I can think of that's even remotely active would be FoH, but I strongly recommend against anyone with self-respect from going there.
    Handstuff and Mithra like this.
  6. Celephane Augur

You have no "freedom of speech" in the domain of others, poor argument.
    Ozon, Duder, Rouan and 1 other person like this.
  7. Svann2 The Magnificent

Sure you do, depending on the forum. What you dont have is free speech rights.
  8. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Can't speak to the others, but I have found very few Subreddits that I needed karma or an invite to post in, but I also avoid political sections like the plague so that could be part of it.
    Wyre Wintermute and Duder like this.
  9. Nennius Curmudgeon

Which can be conferred by whomever owns or controls the forum. On a private forum they can also be withdrawn by the same individual or group. Some folks allow a very wide latitude on their forum for posters, others do not. In any case, I hope the OP can find a forum to their liking. And I wish I knew where to point them.
  10. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Daybreak Games also owns The Lord of the Rings Online MMORPG which is created by Standing Stones Games. LOTRO has an amazing discussion forum system which I believe to be the gold standard for MMO forums.

Each class has their own sub-forum, each server has their own sub-forum, there's a feedback sub-forum, there's a Role-Play forum, I could go on and on.

By far, LOTRO has probably the best community of any MMO in existence. A good community doesn't spring up out of nothing. It comes about because of hard work and effort on the part of the developers, moderators, and the players. It does take a village. :)

They also have an Off-Topic sub-forum with reasonable rules. I think having an Off-Topic sub-forum is a nice idea because often there are times when EQ players would love to share stories and have discussions on things that relate to them. A son's graduation, a daughter's first job. A personal milestone. A funny joke. There's nothing wrong with promoting camaraderie and fellowship among EQ players when they are not in Norrath.

No man is an island. We're all sailing toward the future on the good ship EverQuest together. Let's make our journey as fun and enjoyable as possible. Good forums are a big part of that journey.
    Fanra likes this.
  11. Viper1 Augur

You definitely want to go to SomethingAwful dot com. Head into the FYAD subforum and introduce yourself!
    Duder likes this.
  12. Iven the Lunatic

You can also take a look on the EQ class forums but they are not very active. Click my sig then go to Links.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Freedom of speech only applies to the government and does not apply to private entities and what they allow.
  14. Svann2 The Magnificent

No, freedom of speech is anywhere you are allowed to speak freely.
    People often conflate freedom of speech with the right to freedom of speech, but they arent the same.
    Many forums allow freedom of speech. They dont have to but they do. The ones that dont certainly are curtailing freedom of speech. They have the right to do that, and people have the right to complain about it.
    KushallaFV likes this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And that is not how most people who make the freedom of speech argument are taking it. Private forums on the internet have no obligation to let people say what they want without any moderation of that content.
    Wyre Wintermute, Rijacki and Nennius like this.
  16. CrazyLarth Augur

17. Iven the Lunatic

The word right does spring from the word rite which does mean habit.
    Both words do get pronounced equal and do have the same meaning.
    So right is nothing else than habit and common law is based on it.
  18. Celephane Augur

Nonsense, this isn't correct, you are not right.

Right: Old English riht (adjective and noun), rihtan (verb), rihte (adverb), of Germanic origin; related to Latin rectus ‘ruled’, from an Indo-European root denoting movement in a straight line.

Rite: Middle English: from Latin ritus ‘(religious) usage’.
    Nennius likes this.
  19. Viper1 Augur

this should be a fun internet slap-fight. Please continue....
  20. Iven the Lunatic

Remove the (silent ?) H from rihte and you get rite. Sure one is an adverb and the other one a noun... today. Germania was the fictional name that the romans gave to the districts east of the middle and lower rhine which were populated by celtic tribes. German can be translated into spearhand -> spearman (ger = spear; manus = hand). Celtic origin for both words again. The romans took those and many other (celtic) words and transformed and integrated them into latin. The young old english language (450 - 1,100 A.D.) got influenced by celtic and nordic languages and also by latin during the roman invasion of today's france, england, wales and ireland and is not a good source of information about older language roots like celtic ones.