I don't like

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Celatus, Sep 29, 2022.

1. Svann2 The Magnificent

catchup
  2. Cicelee Augur

Imagine you design a game. You have ten dungeons to explore, each dungeon the size of Texas. You do the artwork, make the mobs, introduce loot, create lore and story. You work countless hours, you have many sleepless nights, but finally you are ready to release your game! You are so proud to show off all the hard work you have done...

And then you see all these groups sit in one corner of one zone and pull the same 20 mobs to their corner for hours/days/weeks/months. You spent all that time on a game, only to see less than one percent of one dungeon even used.

So what do you do? You incentivize players to get out of that corner. To see all of your dungeons. To do all of your quests and missions and story and lore that you worked on. And what is one of the best ways to incentivize players?

XP. That is why quests and missions give out so much nowadays. So you experience the entire expansion, not just sit in one corner killing the same 20 mobs. Of course if you want to do that, go for it. Just don't get mad at others who actually play the new expansion and reap the rewards.
    Treiln, Kaenneth, Genoane and 2 others like this.
  3. Dre. Altoholic

Thing is, most of the classes in this game can totally solo/molo the first 80 or so levels grind-style.

Don't blame the new player that progression became a bait and switch.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The change was to finalize the decade+ long effort to go from an EQ that was like:
    [IMG]

The the modern EQ that is like:
    [IMG]

Thanks to the focus, drive & direction provided by the "Progression System" and an exclusion of anything existing outside of that.
    Stymie, Iven and Brontus like this.
  5. Tappin Augur

Lets be honest - It's a combination of Overseers and putting the exp curve on maintenance mode. It has nothing to do with sitting in a corner killing mobs.
    Dre., Stymie, Arkanny and 1 other person like this.
  6. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Mobile app similar to WoW Companion App. Some MTX to keep you engaged with EQ while away from the computer.
  7. MacDubh TABLES!!!

I don't really understand the issue with grinding xp. You can still do it, it is slower than mission xp yes, but it isn't slow. I flipped to regular xp the other night to max out to 99% for fellowship sharing and with fellowship turned on in a full group achieved 3-4% xp in a lesson burn. It's about the same speed as the Earring of Rallos Zek on the 5th evolve.

Worst case with no xp bonus you're talking ~25 hours grinding to level from 120-121, that seems reasonable to me.

Do people expect more xp per kill or to nerf mission xp? Because I imagine it'd sooner be the latter...
    Tatanka likes this.
  8. Iven Antonius Bayle

Even if players do sit in a zone corner, they have to do so because not enough (visible) safe spots got integrated into the zones which is a design flaw that does exist up to newer expansions. It got ignored that players do need breaks and have to go afk.
    Fenthen likes this.
  9. Annastasya Augur

Well, there are many ways to incentivize or motivate players to do your content. Punishing the players (let's not exaggerate, it's not ALL the players who want to sit in a corner and pull trash mobs, let's call it a significant percentage?) who WANT to sit in a corner and pull, who ENJOY playing that way, is one way to go. It's the way they've chosen, but i think there were better options.

Repeating partisan/mercenary tasks should have a reasonable reward. Knocking out 4 missions in an hour isn't what i'd call "more engaging" than sitting in a corner pulling mobs for hours. Which, by the way is exactly how most people accomplish the Hunter achievements. The ones doing any actual work for it, that is.

When there was a large amount of content to consume that did not involve sitting in dungeon corner, i could have seen your argument, but when most people i know, even casual players "beat the expansion" of group content in the first week after launch, i just don't see how you could push doing those things for a whole year is any better experientially than sitting in a dungeon corner.

Just my opinion though. i'm the kind of person who enjoys torturing Sergeant Slate with low level dots til he dies a slow painful death.
    Stymie likes this.
  10. Syylke_EMarr Augur

I don't mind the current XP system, though I do think the tasks should give currency or something to help make redoing them for others less onerous.
    Tarvas and Svann2 like this.
  11. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Not entirely true, CoV doesn't reward extra in the achievements to compensate and it's RvR is signficantly worse than ToV. Likely, ToL2 will be the same as CoV.

So, within your hypothetical there doesn't exist a consistent design.

Also, there's a ton of unique rewards only offered from completing the content as laid out by the Achievement tab such as mounts, illusions, augs, weapon ornaments, bags, etc.
  12. MacDubh TABLES!!!

The real crime here is if you did grind out levels 115-120 you wouldn't have enough money gained from the kills to afford all your tier 1 armor and rk I spells... the pittance gained from progression tasks won't help you there either.
    Annastasya likes this.
  13. Iven Antonius Bayle

That should lower the Krono price. It is already falling on AB after it got pushed up by 40% in 1-2 years.
  14. Dre. Altoholic

Yikes. I wonder what the average level most new players get to after 25 hours played.
  15. Riou EQResource

If they just molo with a merc prob like 60
    Dre. and MacDubh like this.
  16. Iven Antonius Bayle

Level 25-30 in 25 hours is more realistic for a new player. A few hours will pass just for setting the UI, keys, getting informations and gear, and standing around afk. I had a level 57 tank including 173 AA and twink gear, that had a playing time of 104 hours on a common live server. A bad equipped lvl 15 rogue on test server where I just played straightforward without any waste of time took me 5 hours.
    Zunnoab and Riou like this.
  17. Celatus Augur

Where did I give you this idea that the missions are hard? 15min you get 50% of a lvl, bots constantly spamming that they will do this or that for 1 kr. They are not hard. They are stupid. I do not want to do them because I do not like most of them or they are gated with absurd bs. If you think grinding is easy than you are doing blue mobs in some outdoor zone. That's not how I do things. Automating pre determined missions I would think as someone who knows nothing of programming than the craziness of pulling 5 red mobs at a time. Like I said before if you enjoy them I'm happy for you. I don't want you do have to grind and I'm sorry for so many years that you had no choice. Now its gone the other way and I'm sorry for those of us that have no choice. All I'm asking for is the choice. If you see people botting open world or missions report them they are cheating. Let the rest of us play how we like.
  18. MacDubh TABLES!!!

I'm confused what the issue is, you can grind, there is nothing stopping you from doing this. You can do missions if you want, you by no means have to.

Are missions easier xp? You certainly get more bang for you buck if you can complete them, but either way you can max level within a week of release using either path or a combination so it's not really a big deal.

AAs take way more time than regular xp and missions don't provide an advantage there.

Hell I didn't even turn on regular xp when ToL was released, went full AA and got to 120 in overseer, it didn't take long.
    code-zero likes this.
  19. Celatus Augur

posts like this make me think you just want your participation trophy and don't care that people don't want to be handed things they want to go find them. They just don't want to be punished for it.
  20. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

If you want to lower the krono price take a run through all the house of thule zones and petition all the automated farmers. When I swept through last hunter bonus I reported 4 of them in that expansion, it's got good easy cash.