So, then, how DO you play a wizard?

Discussion in 'Casters' started by BronkTwo, Oct 4, 2022.

1. BronkTwo Journeyman

I'm reading several threads here on how wizards are gimped. But others say, "not if you play them right." Others say, "not if they have proper adps".

So, how DO you play a wizard properly?
    What kind of adps should a wizard seek out?

I'd rather this not get diverted into yet another thread about how wizards are broken -- there are enough of those at the top of the forum list.

The question is: given the current state of the wizard, how to play one to their max?

I'm asking mostly about group play, although raid tips wouldn't be ignored.
  2. Waitwhat Elder

You cast DD spells, mana recover spells/abilities, cast some more, go oom. Log shows you are behind in dps. Med up and repeat.
  3. BronkTwo Journeyman

That's a little bit unspecific. Since so many people reply to the other threads about how wiz are useless with "just play it right", it's clear that that is not common knowledge.

Let's use level 120 as the benchmark because you can always use the default UI and sites like zam to work backwards for lower levels.

Which DD spells?
    What do you use for mana recovery?
    Which adps is useful or even essential to effective wizarding?
    Which other classes and which of their spells help a wizard shine?
  4. ShadowMan Augur

Will let Kizant or someone far better really give better details but the issue is doing all of the following and then still being behind most others. Even on very short burns.

The DD spells vary depending on event. If its AE friendly some other nukes make their way in over better single target normal stuff.
    Self mana, mana potions, feather and horn clicks and any bit of raid help they can get.
    Enc, bard, druid, other mage or wizard synergies plus the more auspices the raid can have the better. Seasons Wrath and elemental arrow on as much as possible.
    Wizards still get a lot out of procs. So meleeing is a lot more proc goodness from weapons, items - think some still use TBM belt under burn, NPT and some still use 18/19 melee proc augs.
  5. kizant Augur

Who are these 'others'? I don't see any posts like you're mentioning but maybe I missed them.
  6. Rolaque Ancient

Adps from group druid
    Great Wolf, adds 14% to crit chance for nukes (reduces mana cost by 12-15%), 4:00 duration, can be refreshed every 7:30
    Season's Wrath, cast on mob, increases cold and fire spell damage 17-25%, can be refreshed before fading, so should always be on the mob.
  7. kizant Augur

Just FYI. We don't generally attack main assist on raids unless there's only 1 or 2 mobs involved. The same goes for groups really but even then it's a little different. Season's Wrath is nice and all but it doesn't stack with our vortex effect. So, we don't get as much out of it in groups either. The bump to procs outside of raids isn't that big.
  8. lordbob New Member

can someone link a guide to augs clickies etc for wizard. I read about this but if you don't already know what it is it comes across very cryptic. Not everyone is up to speed.
  9. CrazyLarth Augur