Blizzard closes Overwatch to herd players to sequel

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by jeskola, Oct 3, 2022.

1. jeskola pheerie

So Blizzard shut down a popular game to herd it's players over to the sequel. Perhaps it's time for EQ to follow suit. Shut down Project 1999 (they can easily if they want) and EQ2 while you are at it. Funnel those players on over to the flagship game, EQ! Blizzard is brilliant!
  2. Svann2 The Magnificent

3. minimind The Village Idiot

This was a genuine concern of mine when they got closer to launching EQ2.
    Fenthen and Fanra like this.
  4. Highwizard Augur

You think eq players will just "funnel" to the flagship games. You think blizzard is "genius" thats probably the worst gaming company in history. They just have alot of games that are like pop music every tween and teen loves it.
    Fenthen, Fanra and Coagagin like this.
  5. Zunnoab Augur

Artificial scarcity is a huge problem with digital media completely out of the hands of the players/viewers. Some companies have even started removing purchased media from digital libraries, which is a huge threat to preservation.

Either way, it would be a terrible idea. People have literal years put into their characters. It would be a catastrophe.

If I recall they even had a little FAQ that said they were looking into if any progress in EQ2 would carry over from EQ1. I may remember that incorrectly, but if I remember correctly that must have been way before they decided to make EQ2 an alternate timeline.
    Fanra likes this.
  6. Nennius Curmudgeon

And how many really pissed off players does Blizzard have now?
    jeskola likes this.
  7. Vumad Cape Wearer

EQ is fundamentally a good game.

A restored 1970 Chevelle would be just as valuable, if not more so, than a new launch of the Chevelle.

EQ should launch a remastered TLP. If Phinny was launched on a new game engine, and remastered by expansion, we would all be on a new platform by now. We wouldn't be messing with a 64Bit conversion or whatever. We'd just be in a new client completely now.

Edit: Good, not new. EQ is fundamentally a good game.
    Hobitses, Elyssanda and Jumbur like this.
  8. bobbin Elder

I don't understand the hate towards Blizzard on this.
    The only difference between Overwatch and Overwatch 2 is the "2"
    It's still going to be free to play and you only have to buy it if you want to play the new PvE campaign, Even player skins or whatever they're called are all moving over.
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Sunset EQ to herd me to your new game? FIGHT ME. I'll leave Norrath and never return. How's that for flagship?
  10. Tappin Augur

Start making games for the people who actually play them, instead of making them for some out of touch investor. Sounds like to me, they were literally making a game no player wanted.
    Skuz and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  11. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Blizzard is why I still have 6 all access DBG accounts.

OK, Wargaming USA is partly to blame as well.

I play EQ still because they DON'T treat the veteran players like trash to /flex @ Tencent.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/do-you-guys-not-have-phones

code-zero and Svann2 like this.
  12. Arkanny Augur

Blizzard is dead, it's been dead for years. It's just corpos wearing their skin at this point.
    code-zero, Tucoh and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  13. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Anyone who was actually Blizzard left. They have been replaced by synths controlled by Activision-Blizzard's accountants.

and hey Activision, good job on all those stock buybacks to prop up your numbers and selling that to the player base as "success"

also kudos for sliding the term "day one sales" to include 6 months and 3 weeks of preorders to lie to stockholders.

and... a bonus for a warm embracing "corporate culture", said to be of legend.
  14. Stymie Pendragon

I don't know if I would call them "dead" with 3.7 million units of their previous expansion being sold day 1. That number includes pre-orders of course, but that's far from dead. The numbers used in the EG7 documents for EQ was about 80k, as a comparison.

Also, I'm not so sure this topic belongs here.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I love posts that compare Apples to Oranges, Chalk to Cheese or Blizzard to Daybreak, they are such a fanciful escape from rational thought & logic that it nakes me want to trade shrubberies for the affections of grumpy dwarves and create beautiful necklaces from daisies intertwined with cow hooves.
    Stymie and Nennius like this.
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

Shrubberies??? They better come with LOTS of ale. Or,

[IMG]
    Stymie and Skuz like this.
  17. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

When EQ 2 came out that what they were hoping for but alot of people like me were having none of it. I spent way to much time on my chars. I had all ts maxed out when ts wasnt easy. if they ever shut down EQ 1 im retired im not going to eq 2 eq next or whatever.
  18. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Or any other MMO... way too time consuming.
    KushallaFV likes this.
  19. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Can't play Roadhog as a secondary tank anymore, game is dead to me.
  20. Treeconix Elder

ITT: Lots of people who don't understand satire or cannot pick up on satire.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.