Not A Bug Ancients Cyclops is not Spawning in the Plains of Karana

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Brontus, Sep 6, 2022.

1. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Bug: According to the Journeyman Boots quest dialogue from Hasten Bootstrutter, the Ancient Cyclops should be spawning in the Karanas which can include North Karana, West Karana, East Karana, and South Karana:

Hasten Bootstrutter says 'Ancient cyclopes do march the land. Long have they lived and crafted the rings of the ancients. I must have one and you shall go and fetch one for me. Seek the lands of the oldest cyclops clans. Seek the plains, seek the island in tears and search the dunes for there is one who is last. His clan was blown from the sands.'

The plains clue from Hasten obviously refer to any of the Karanas as all of these zones are collectively named Plains of Karana on all official EverQuest maps.

[IMG]

There have been no sightings of the Ancient Cyclops for 23 years in any of the Karana zones which contradicts the quest given from Hasten.

Solution: Please fix this oversight and add the Ancient Cyclops to the spawn tables in any or all of the Karana zones.
  2. Loup Garou De loop de loop

I agree the Ancients have not been seen for many years in the Karanas. But there are still plain cyclops. Maybe that is what they meant by "they roam the plains" or they could make one an "ancient" - not sure what it is needed for since they do spawn in the other 2 places.

But your not the first to ask. Almost word for word:confused:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ent-cyclops-also-found-in-the-karanas.257165/

edit to say:
    now that the poster below me mentions it, I have seen the Ancients in Karana. The one where you hunt for lion skins and another one.
    Brontus likes this.
  3. bard007 Augur

Ive seen the Ancient Cyclops in South Karana, North Karana, East Karana... never in West Karana.
    Be patient, or just go to Ocean of Tears and kill the Clops PH.. it spawns a lot quicker out there for some reason. I remember back in the day, the one clops on the island was a painful as camping the karana's and my pirate faction is ripped, he will run from anywhere in the zone to me :)
    Brontus likes this.
  4. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Thanks for the info and advice. It's funny, I've never heard of the AC spawning in any of those zones. Can you recall what year you saw him spawn?

According to Allakhazam's site the Ancient Cyclops is currently only found in The Ocean of Tears and South Ro:

[IMG]

As far as rarity is concerned, it should be reasonable and in accordance with customary rare creature spawn rates. I think the Pegasus spawn in South Karana is a good example of acceptable rarity.
    Svann2 and bard007 like this.
  5. Trebla7th Augur

This is speculation unless you have a source that confirms "the plains" listed in the quest text is the Plains of Karana. While it's a reasonable guess and perhaps the "obvious" answer, that doesn't mean it's correct.

Note also that he doesn't say the Ancient Cyclops can be found in each of those zones, only "seek the island, seek the dunes, seek the plains"... which could also be interpreted as "he can be found in one of those places, but maybe not all."

While I've occasionally heard claims of the AC being found in the Karanas, I've spent many hours there completing the Hunter achievements including somewhere in the range of 20-40 hours in North Karana AE'ing large portions of the zone looking for the werewolf and never saw him in any of them. It's possible people report seeing the AC when they actually saw "an undead cyclops," or he's just so exceptionally rare that magelo and Zam have never captured him there.

While I'm not dismissing your complaint, this proooooooooobably isn't a bug.
  6. Sheebea Augur

In 22 years of playing EQ, I have never seen an AC in those zones. I looked too. Led me to believe that the AC don't spawn there.
    Brontus and Ileasa like this.
  7. bard007 Augur

Would of been when i was a young bard, 2000/2001/2002.. I remember been in East Karana killing on the bridge and seeing the AC brought the wizard over to loot and Quest it off ;)..South Karana same deal.. at the Bridge killing..
    This was back when North Ro and South Ro also were there own zones, and Ocean of Tears hadn't been re modelled, the old AC spawn was 1 mob on the edge of a island that had an annoying Pirate :)....so if you havent seen it in the Karana's since say after 2005 maybe they did change it or how it spawns and its locations to 2 places only.. with the south ro change maybe?.. noidea you would need a dev to confirm, normally they will say if a mob has popped and when last time it was seen in a zone..
    Wyre Wintermute, Yinla and Brontus like this.
  8. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Also keep in mind, the Karana's have undergone two changes. There were the OG Karanas, then Plague of Bertox event, then the Plague of Bertox "cure"

It is possible that the AC did spawn in the Karana's previously and got purged (if at all, likely by accident) after the cleansing event.
    Brontus, bard007 and Stymie like this.
  9. Evurkvest Augur

Spawned in East Karana for sure but was taken out. Possible around 2000/2001, not sure. Perhaps its in some old patch message. I wonder why they removed the AC from EK?
  10. Salene_Luclin Journeyman

As mentioned, go to OoT to have best shot of getting him to pop lots of ph there and short respawn
  11. Hegsheoshed Augur

The AC was removed from the spawn table in East Karana because some people had figured out it's placeholder and were farming it. This came about from people doing the magician 1.0. There are some gaps in the patch messages from 1999 to 2001. Odd little emergency patches.
  12. Taladir Augur

Giving you an upvote because I think it'd be cool if they fixed this.
    Brontus likes this.
  13. Sheebea Augur

Spawn em! It would be a cool Hunter's Achievement. The Ultra-Rare EK AC!! Make it like King Xorbb was. Nearly impossible to spawn.
    PatCleric and Brontus like this.
  14. Ratalthor Developer

This is not a bug. The quest text provides possible locations that the cyclops could be, but it will not be available at all of the locations.
    Brildon and minimind like this.