Question regarding the play nice policy as it relates to in game harassment

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kittykattz, Sep 28, 2022.

1. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

You're aware Zek has accelerated XP and you don't have to act scared about being 'ganked' right?
  2. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Makes sense, Zek at least provides an opportunity to fight back. TLPs allow people to PvPvE without any sort of repercussions.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

As I understood it the "play nice policy" that used to be a core part of EQ is all but abandoned & unenforced to the point you can do a lot of stuff that used to be disciplined for.

Outside of actual harassment/abuse based on protected characteristics you can do pretty much anything short of training people.

No server has ever been toxic or rude to me, I imagine that until machines become sentient life-forms they never will.
    A few Players on both Live servers & TLP servers have been rude & toxic, but no worse than you would expect from the general population outside of EQ.
    Overall, I did not feel like TLP were significantly nastier communities than Live servers but then I played outside primetime US hours.
    Celephane likes this.
  4. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Allowing people to kill steal but not allowing the victims of kill stealing to train other players to exact retribution on the kill stealers doesn't make any sense. Revenge is a human emotion and I find it perplexing that MMO studios want to selectively police this. Fantasy virtual worlds are predicated on conflict between races and within races. Every world has heroes and villains. Players should be able to role-play heroes and villains if they so choose.

SOE made kill stealing legal because they claimed it took too many resources to police this. Yet, policing players who train other players also takes precious resources. There is some serious cognitive dissonance at work here. Why not apply the same business logic to training players?

In most cases, training other players is done as an act of retaliation for having your rare creature stolen and your camp stolen. In isolation and in a perfect world training other players is wrong, but Norrath is not a perfect world and when done in context I think it is right.

Either we have rules that are ethically consistent or we should have no rules at all. Clearly, SOE and Daybreak did not think this through.

Darkpaw should just re-brand EverQuest as a no-rules survival fantasy virtual world and be done with it. As a result they'd get a lot of much needed exposure in the media and non-EQ players might actually find it appealing.
    Duder likes this.
  5. code-zero Augur

That's all because people who train are basically scum who'll use the tactic any time that they want a camp or mob and they'll always accuse their victim of "kill stealing". I saw that regularly on Ragefire which not coincidentally the server that resulted in the DPS race rule being put in to place.

The funniest thing I ever saw in game was a monk who was training in Unrest be summoned back into his own train multiple times by one of the senior guides there to die repeatedly. Got what he deserved and was apparently banned when the GM's came to check it out.

If you lose a DPS race and train to retaliate then enjoy your break from the game, I have no sympathy
  6. Evilness Gnome warriors are the best warriors

There is a difference between competing for mobs, and some jerk following another around EVERYWHERE they go to grief them on purpose. Anyone who does that should have that account and any associated accounts permabanned. The world sucks enough already, no need for that toxic garbage in our chosen hobby.
    Shanarias, Hobitses, Arkanny and 2 others like this.
  7. Celephane Augur

Sir, your picture clearly shows you sitting on a TLP
    Hobitses, Flatchy and code-zero like this.
  8. Arkanny Augur

Things must have changed alot, when i tried a TLP about 5 years ago, it was really friendly and people would group together just like old times.
  9. code-zero Augur

There is always that period of time in progression when the classes don't really have a lot to do. You don't really need to have anything in particular at all and people just group and fight stuff sort of randomly. I saw a video of a guy on P99 in Crushbone and despite the group not even having a tank class at all they were playing for hours on end near the front.

When gear and drops become important and you need to have reasonably competent players with reasonably geared characters and a need for specific roles things go off the rails in a hurry
  10. Zunnoab Augur

One, revenge for the sake of revenge is wrong, no exceptions

Two, people usually have an excuse for bad behavior. They might even believe the excuse themselves. But it's just that, an excuse. Poor behavior is poor behavior. You are responsible for your own conduct; what others "did first" is irrelevant.
    code-zero likes this.
  11. Cicelee Augur

Zek also has what, 100 actual people playing on the server? I don't say that with negative overtones, just stating potential fact.

Although I suppose if you go to a server with 100 players on it, you could avoid a lot of people and not have to worry about kill stealing or DPS races...
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  12. Kittykattz New Member

One thing Zek doesn't have, are krono farmers.

Halleluiah
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  13. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Last I heard there were 2 guilds raiding COV+

I haven't been playing for a while, but when I was I like a ghost town. I'm sure most don't, but at least we can say it is low population?
  14. Flatchy Court Jester

The DPS race rule is one of the most stupid things I have ever seen them do. Just act like civilized adults ffs. Do you know why there are hard feelings when someone camps a named forever and some cob runs in the minute you spawn that mob and takes it??? BECAUSE ITS WRONG. plain and simple. To say otherwise is LAZY and STUPID. I get it they cant police it so they took the lazy route and made up that dumb rule. I dont see this problem on BB at all. Maybe 15 years ago it used to be like that here and there but not much. If someone is there come back later, you'll get your chance.

Sorry if this hurt anyone's feelings but that is how I see it. Does not mean its right , just my opinion.
    Hobitses, MacDubh and Zunnoab like this.
  15. Cicelee Augur

Two guilds doesn't necessarily mean 120 live players. The raids could be 40-50 people, with a third to a half as boxers of 1+ toons.

I still stand by my 100 actual players or less comment until proven otherwise.
    MasterMagnus likes this.