Tradeskill help

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Badbyte68, Sep 28, 2022.

1. Badbyte68 New Member

I just started playing again after a handful of years. My question is are there any tradeskills I should be doing that are going to be important when I hit max level such as Alchemy, Adorning, or Provisioning? I realize I can do them after I hit max level, but something like Adorning would seem to be easiest to level as I go unless I dont understand how that skill works.

Also, while I would prefer to level my character myself to learn the class better instead of starting at L100, how much of a grind is it to L100 for a player without the plat to get the best gear to level?
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Not sure what Adorning or Provisioning iso_O think you meant something else or maybe a different game?- heh no worries EDIT Ah those are EQ 2. this is EQ.

First thing you should do are the free tradeskill quests. These will get a tradeskill to level to 51. The ones in Abysmal Sea are preferred over the ones of Crescent Reach. The GoD era quests will usually give you the ability to process drops that are specific to that expansion, which means that you have more raw material available to you as you skill up. Just google free tradeskill quests in eq. I would do them all. They are mind numbing but you will need it for the next thing to do:

Once you reach 50 in a tradeskill you can get a trophy for that skill. It is recommended that you do so at that time, as the trophy quests get harder at higher skill levels and it is a good idea to have your trophy as you skill up so the trophy also improves. Event Coordinator Baublie Diggs (Tradeskill Quests) in West Freeport gives out the quests. Again I would do them all.

One of the best augs in the game is done thru tradeskilling. So it is beneficial to have this base to start on.

As far as not having good enough gear to get to level 100...well I would never ever never waste my plat and buy gear below level 100. Its a waste of plat as you out level the gear very quickly.

The game is designed to drop gear for the level of the zone. In other words if you do say, a hot zone daily for level 40 then the zone it tells you to go to is for level 40 ish and will drop that level gear. And also has a reward of that level gear.

Play for some levels and then think about buying the Heroic if you wanted to. It can pretty much grasp what a class is about in a short amount of time. But being group and raid savvy will take a bit longer

WB and Good luck!!
    Firaaf likes this.
  3. Grove Augur

A few trade skill concepts for you.
    Most epic quests require some skill in one or more trades, the needed skill is not really high.

There are quests resulting in excellent statistical rewards for trades. These quests require high achievement in all seven basic skills plus fishing. This will take a LONG time to achieve. It is economical to have the character the character doing this at least be able to gate without a costly component as some components are found in remote locations. This means that most skill learning should be concentrated in one character.

Other than the basic seven skills and fishing, there are trades that are limited to a certain race or class.

In skilling trades, remember that there are AAs that influence how high you have permission to advance. These are the AA that permits more than one trade to advance beyond skill of 200. and the AAs that permit individual trades to advance in skill.

Do the quest in Freeport that grants a trophy to boost each skill (except fishing). A trophy is needed for each skill you expect to advance. Do the quest soon after you skill to 50. Waiting to 100 makes you do a harder version of the trophy quest and beyond that, even harder.

Do basic skill training for free to 54 in any skill in Abysmal Sea, or easier and faster in Crescent Reach.
  4. Alnitak Augur

Adorning and Provisioning are not tradeskills in EQ. Alchemy is, but it's class-specific (shamans only).
    No player is forced to do any tradeskills in EQ. Tradeskills are not required to play, level and progress in EQ.
    Although, tradeskills are quite helpful to master. Throughout various expansions there are several quests involving tradeskills, which rewrd the player with some items, which are outstanding for the time/level. and, again repeating myself, none is actually required to progress in EQ.
    Last several expansions (starting from Ring of Scale released about 4 years ago) many gear items can be made using tradeskills, however those items can be traded between players, so any player may chose to simply buy those tradeskilled items instead of making them.
    Tradeskilling gets easier with items called "tradeskill trophies", which are quested starting at skill level 50 in that particular tradeskill. Quests get progressively more difficult every 50 points in the tradeskill, so it is highly recommended to get the trophy quests before the skill becomes 100 or higher. You can actually do the quest later, they have no expiration.
    In Crestmont Reach and Abysmal Sea there are quests available to increase each and all tradeskills to the skill level 54 for free. Some limitations apply to racial tradeskill Tinkering (gnomes only) and class tradeskills Alchemy (shamans) and Poisonmaking (Rogues).
    Leveling from 1 to 70 is very easy these days with very powerful (for their level) mercenaries available for hire. From level around 70 to about 100 it gets progressively harder to level by playing alone, you'll have to socialize and play with friends/guildmates or nake a "box" crew (i.e. make more than 1 account and play more than 1 instance of EQ at the same time)
    There is no need to decide from the start - play a totally new character to learn the dynamics of the game and you can always upgrade it to Heroics level 100 character at any time in the future if you decide to.
  5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Pretty sure adorning and provisioning are EQ2 tradeskills :)
  6. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

EQ Tradeskill trophies evolve and the quest to get the trophy to begin with does too. The higher your base skill in whichever trade, the more complex the recipes to be awarded the trophy can be.

The trophy quest starts at tradeskill skill level 50.

Heroic 100 characters get all tradeskills already at 150, so face the more complext trophy quests.

Before heroicing a character, you can do the Crescent reach or Abysmal Sea run to 50, then go and obtainthe tropy quest, THEN Heroic the character, but already have the .easybutton trophy quest in your log (or even have it finished already)

If your origin point is Crescent reach, there are NPCs for each tradeskill who wwill train to skill 54, for free.

If your origin location is NOT Crescent Reach, Abysmal Sea has similar quests to get your skill to 50.

EQTraderscorner (google EQTC) has quick trivial lists for all tradeskills and learn a skill guides. Some trades you can just buy a couple bits and combine them in Plane of Knowledge and gain skill 50 faster.(Like fletching)

Stop at skill 50, go to Freeport, from the PoK book, do not enter city, but go past the gate to the other side of the noob yard in front of Freeport to a tent with the tradeskill NPCs and get the quest to obtain tropy, then make the requirred bits and hand them in to the field judge.

Equipping the trophy in primary, secondary or ranged inventory slot gives a modifier to the skill and trophies evolve by 1 ) being equipped when making combines and 2) the combines must be non trivial.
  7. Vumad Cape Wearer

In EQ1, it is much easier to do tradeskills at higher levels, when you have more resources for combines and AA to prevent failure.

HOWEVER, it is best to SAVE tradeskill items as you level. You can use them as you go, but I would still wait. You can save every tradeskill drop, which is ideal, but that can be difficult. If you need to save space, figure out the items most commonly used for leveling and save only those.

Extraplanar Tradeskill Satchels are your best friend. Put 2-3 in your top inventory slots to automatically sort out TS items. If you can afford them, put a full bank worth of these on a character on the same account. Move your items to that character with the shared bank. Then deposit these items with the auto-bank feature so they stack.
  8. Loup Garou De loop de loop

I think it funny that 4 posts on here said the same thing. Do the beginner and trophy quest. hopefully OP gets the idea:D:D:D
    Nennius and CatsPaws like this.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Unless auto-bank works differently than I remember it, don't use that feature, it takes 10-20 times longer than the best method:

Say you have 10 extraplanar satchels in the bank, full of TS mats, and now you have 2 more bags of TS mats in your inventory to add to them. Here's what you do. You pick up the first bag from your inventory (have it on your mouse cursor), and hover that over the first of your 10 extraplanar bags in the bank (not the open window showing what's in extraplanar bag #1, but the bag icon itself in the bank). Once hovered over that, now control-left click the mouse. Whatever is in your bag that can stack with the bag in the bank will go in there and stack. All of them. If there's 10 items which will stack, they all go in on that one click. Now quickly hover and control-click over the other 9 bags in the bank. Now, in about 10 seconds, you've dumped 32 slots of TS mats into the correct slots in the bank. Next, repeat with the other bag from your inventory.

You can use the same method with the bank bags themselves, to make sure you haven't accidentally created more than one stack with the same item!
    Nennius, Annastasya and CatsPaws like this.
  10. Svann2 The Magnificent

IIRC jewelcraft is the one you really need to do the earring quest out of Eastern Wastelands 2 3, so of them all that may be the most important. It also takes the other TS but I think you can buy those parts from other players. I think there may be a new TS quest this coming expac but nothing announced yet. Besides that I dont think TS is at all necessary.